Reload this Page >

E-3 double taxed?!

E-3 double taxed?!

Old Nov 18th 2011, 12:04 am
Just Joined

masky is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation E-3 double taxed?!

Hello folks,

Probably this is a question more for the people on the E-3 visa but generally speaking it looks like I am being double taxed by both IRS and ATO (Australia).

The thing is I stayed only 20 something days in Australia in the past fiscal year and spent the rest of the year here in the US; but now even with the offset thing I have to pay the ATO a lot (even after California + federal taxes that I paid here) because their residency calculator still sees my situation as an Australian resident!

Your thoughts?

I appreciate any help.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 12:13 am
Account Closed

dragon5254 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 double taxed?!

Originally Posted by masky
Hello folks,

Probably this is a question more for the people on the E-3 visa but generally speaking it looks like I am being double taxed by both IRS and ATO (Australia).

The thing is I stayed only 20 something days in Australia in the past fiscal year and spent the rest of the year here in the US; but now even with the offset thing I have to pay the ATO a lot (even after California + federal taxes that I paid here) because their residency calculator still sees my situation as an Australian resident!

Your thoughts?

I appreciate any help.
There is a reciprocal agreement between Australia and USA. Therefore if tax is paid in one country it is not paid in the other. You will need an accountant in the USA who has expertise in this area and a copy of your Australian Tax return.