Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is an E-2 Visa Transferable?

Is an E-2 Visa Transferable?

Old Nov 18th 2003, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Anna H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is an E-2 Visa Transferable?

It looks like the company I work for is going to close their US operations and I am therefore in danger of being laid off.....so I am looking for a new job. I am a Brit on an E-2 visa (working in the US for a British company). A job opportunity has come up elsewhere but the company wants to know if my visa is transferrable. Does anyone know if an E-2 visa is transferable?

I am due to get married next May (to my American Fiance), and thinking that the only option may be to just get a quickie marriage on paper and apply for a Work Permit. Does anyone know how long work permits take to come through?

Thanks!
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:06 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is an E-2 Visa Transferable?

Originally posted by Anna H
It looks like the company I work for is going to close their US operations and I am therefore in danger of being laid off.....so I am looking for a new job. I am a Brit on an E-2 visa (working in the US for a British company). A job opportunity has come up elsewhere but the company wants to know if my visa is transferrable. Does anyone know if an E-2 visa is transferable?

I am due to get married next May (to my American Fiance), and thinking that the only option may be to just get a quickie marriage on paper and apply for a Work Permit. Does anyone know how long work permits take to come through?

Thanks!
Are you sure you are on an E2, as that is an investment visa. The answer is no it is not transferrable, you will be required to go home as soon you finish working.

If you get a quicky marriage you will have to AOS (Adjustment of Status) changing your E2 visa to a Green Card (Provisional for 2 years). This can take anywhere up to a year in which time you may not be allowed to work but in all likelyhood will take 6-8 months. There are some who have AOS'd on here so will be able to give you better timelines, it is all dependant on where you live.

There is no quick fix to your situation unless you can get a company to sponsor you to work here, but if the visa doesn't come through before you are made redundant you will have to go back to the UK and wait for it.

Patrick
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Anna H is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Is an E-2 Visa Transferable?

Yep I'm definitely on an E-2, it is renewable as long as I work for the same company. I just didn't know if it was transferrable, but now I know it isn't!

So you reckon if I get laid off I'm in trouble then and will be booted out of the US? aarrgghhh! I didn't realise it took so long to get the adjustment of status - we'd better hurry up and get married then!
Old Nov 19th 2003, 3:44 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is an E-2 Visa Transferable?

Originally posted by Anna H
Yep I'm definitely on an E-2, it is renewable as long as I work for the same company. I just didn't know if it was transferrable, but now I know it isn't!

So you reckon if I get laid off I'm in trouble then and will be booted out of the US? aarrgghhh! I didn't realise it took so long to get the adjustment of status - we'd better hurry up and get married then!
Its little know that the E-2 visa can also be a manager or executive, or a specially trained employee necessary for the development of the investment. most people think its just for the main investor...but I believe the main E-2 holder has to be the same nationality as the employee...
Best wishes on the wedding