Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Duvets and covers

Duvets and covers

Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:39 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light
Default Duvets and covers

I have done a search on duvets and can't find the answer to this question:

What kind of comforter do you buy to put in a duvet cover? Over here, they call a dovet cover a "duvet" so how do you figure out what an actual English-style duvet is? Do I just buy a standard white comforter?

I'm not going back to England for a while so I need to buy a duvet that uses covers here. I am sick of washing my comforter.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:42 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duvets and covers

Originally Posted by Shahlax

What kind of comforter do you buy to put in a duvet cover? Over here, they call a dovet cover a "duvet" so how do you figure out what an actual English-style duvet is? Do I just buy a standard white comforter?

I'm not going back to England for a while so I need to buy a duvet that uses covers here. I am sick of washing my comforter.
Ikea sell proper duvets - there are two in NJ that I am aware of: at Paramus and Elizabeth.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:44 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by elfman
Ikea sell proper duvets - there are two in NJ that I am aware of: at Paramus and Elizabeth.
Are they good quality?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is going thru the same torment ... when you buy a new duvet from Marks and Spencers ..or have somebody do it for you and ship..buy a selection of covers at the same time ...
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:47 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going through this too. It's a nightmare. Pottery Barn and the Company Store do proper duvets and proper duvet covers. I think Ikea's are just as good though.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Ikea
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

most stores sell proper duvets, bed, bath and beyond, macy's, robinsons may, sears etc..Ikea too as mentioned but their sizes always seem a little off so a duvet cover form elsewhere never seems to fit properly..
mail order companys include www.westelm.com www.roomandboard.com www.garnethill.com these also sell nice duvet covers depending on what style you like as most of the ones in the store look like something my granny would like unless you're willing to spend $400 on a cover alone..
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:49 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Are they good quality?
We have two from Ikea and change them seasonally - I think they do the job pretty well.
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Linens and Things, as well as Bed, Bath and Beyond sell the inward duvets that you're looking for. They also sell duvet covers.
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Are they good quality?
no they are shit. IMO, but you get what you pay for, you can buy one for $30..
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

We tried to buy a Duvet from Ikea by mai order .... took a week to get the shipping price then wanted an extra handling charge ... forget it ..
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Linens and Things, as well as Bed, Bath and Beyond sell the inward duvets that you're looking for. They also sell duvet covers.
Thanks. These inward duvets at bed, bath and beyond, pottery barn and so on; what are they called? Are they white comforters? I see duvet covers everywhere but not sure what type of comforter they will fit.

I may try IKEA.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by woodsey
no they are shit. IMO, but you get what you pay for, you can buy one for $30..
Oh dear, just read this. Mabye I won't try IKEA.
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I cant believe how expensive bedding is here, especially duvet covers and then you have to buy the pillow cases separately. One set I saw the pillow cases were $50 each!
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, just read this. Mabye I won't try IKEA.
Depends, if they are for the kids, they are perfect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.