Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ductless heat and air sytems

Ductless heat and air sytems

Old Nov 12th 2012, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice
Default Re: Ductless heat and air sytems

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Just a few notes about terminology.

The air conditioning you refer to is known as split system as the compressor is outdoors (usually) and remote from the cooling/heating head. There is pipework (albeit narrow) between the two.

Reverse cycle split systems provide both heat and cold.

The picture you posted with radiators and a split system means that the main heating system is re-circulated hot water and the thing on the wall is probably for cooling only. Although it may be for heating as well, it is probably only sufficient in Spring and Autumn.

Re-circulated hot water central heating by radiators is simply the most energy efficient way of heating.

You may find that split systems on their own wont be warm enough in winter unless you have a few of them. Expensive to buy in the UK and very expensive to run as compared with gas central heating. IMHO anyway

Heating from above is inefficient as well.

Take this from someone who knows all about the short-comings of these devices for heating as they insist on trying to rely on them in Australia which has fairly mild winters.

I had central heating radiators installed in my Aussie home.

Most homes in Oz have an aircon unit for cooling. It is only an accident of design that these things will also heat. They are cheap here. Probably expensive in the UK.
Thanks for your input. We just call them Ductless Systems here in the states but yes they are Split Systems.

My neighbors has had theirs installed in their room addition for over a year now and have had no issues with heating and cooling and we get rather cold here and very hot had several days this summer in triple digits Fahrenheit. We also do get as low as the teens in the winter. Although not for long.

I guess when we get there we will consider all the options including the new slim vertical rads in conjunction with split units. As I said Air Con may not be important to some but I have been in the UK when the temps have been in the 90's (Fahrenheit) and that is too hot not to have air even if it is only for a few days. Yes, I am a spoiled American.