British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dual US-UK passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dual-us-uk-passport-705970/)

Ramos_5 Feb 18th 2011 8:22 pm

Dual US-UK passport

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know the way to use the passports when traveling between the US and UK. I think the most sense would be is to leave on the US with the US passport and enter the UK with UK passport. Then, leave the UK with the UK passport and enter the US with the US Passport. I am not sure, if this is breaking any immigration laws etc. I would appreciate anyone's input who has a similar situation, thanks!

meauxna Feb 18th 2011 8:39 pm

Re: Dual US-UK passport

Originally Posted by Ramos_5 (Post 9186250)
Then, leave the UK with the UK passport and enter the US with the US Passport. I am not sure, if this is breaking any immigration laws etc.

It is! :D

But, there's a solution. I'll move your thread to the USA forum where there are many others just like it.. you can search out the past threads while waiting for more replies.

US citizens must exit and enter on their US passports, but there is no passport exit control *except* sorta the airline. You would need to check in for your UK-->US flight as a US citizen.

Nutmegger Feb 18th 2011 9:23 pm

On a USA-UK-USA round trip you use your UK passport in just one place: entering the UK. The rest of the time you must use your US passport.

Ozzidoc Feb 18th 2011 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9186281)
It is! :D

US citizens must exit and enter on their US passports, but there is no passport exit control *except* sorta the airline.

Except for the UK passport control after/between security screenings at some UK airports ;)

meauxna Feb 18th 2011 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 9186409)
Except for the UK passport control after/between security screenings at some UK airports ;)

Thanks. :)
I must stop making definative statements.

avanutria Feb 18th 2011 11:35 pm

I usually just hand over both and let them decide.

Bob Feb 18th 2011 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9186378)
On a USA-UK-USA round trip you use your UK passport in just one place: entering the UK. The rest of the time you must use your US passport.

Or if the trip to the UK is just a holiday, use which ever one sticks you in the shortest line :D

The UK doesn't care as long as the passport you use is fit for the purpose of the trip. The US cares though.

meauxna Feb 19th 2011 12:01 am

Originally Posted by avanutria (Post 9186608)
I usually just hand over both and let them decide.

Let who decide?

avanutria Feb 19th 2011 12:58 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9186647)
Let who decide?

The people at the airport check-in counter.

Nutmegger Feb 19th 2011 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9186619)
Or if the trip to the UK is just a holiday, use which ever one sticks you in the shortest line :D

That works, too!

Rougesvp Feb 21st 2011 8:25 pm

The U.S. side can get bent out of shape about it.

The U.K. couldn't care less... reflects in our Immigration situation :frown:

Ramos_5 Feb 23rd 2011 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9186378)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I like Nutmegger's idea as I heard other people doing the same thing. ;)

franc11s Feb 23rd 2011 6:45 pm

I go into/out of the USA / UK about 4 or 5 times a year and basically, only when entering the USA you NEED to use your US passport. You'll get in if you don't but boy, will you really piss them off at you don't need the hassle.

It makes sense to enter the UK on the UK one since the lines are normally shorter and entering the UK on the US passport again, isn't worth the hassle.

If when you leave the USA, the airline doesn't care. However, when you leave the UK to come back to USA, the UK has a secondary processing - just before you board/gate - that's there to make sure you have a visa/right to go to USA but pretty lame. It doesn't do much except to try and help them not have to have to pay for you to be on the return flight :)

I now have the new UK Bio Readable passport so I don't even have to see a person when I enter the UK :)

The USA accepts dual nationality as it's silly for them not to. It's even written in every American passport that if you enter another country on another passport, there is then just no guarantee the American Consulate can help you if you need help (But as an American Citizen, they have to TRY anyway - LOL)

nun Feb 23rd 2011 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s (Post 9196963)

The USA accepts dual nationality as it's silly for them not to. It's even written in every American passport that if you enter another country on another passport, there is then just no guarantee the American Consulate can help you if you need help (But as an American Citizen, they have to TRY anyway - LOL)

As soon as I'm out of the US that passport goes in the bottom of my bag and I travel on my UK passport. If I was in a foreign jail I'd call the British embassy, not the US. US officials give me the willies.

ian-mstm Feb 23rd 2011 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s (Post 9196963)
The USA accepts dual nationality as it's silly for them not to.

The US does not officially recognize dual citizenship. The US will deal with you only as either a USC or a non-USC.

But as an American Citizen, they have to TRY anyway
No, they don't.

Ian