Reload this Page >

Dual US-UK passport

Dual US-UK passport

Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Ramos_5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Dual US-UK passport

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know the way to use the passports when traveling between the US and UK. I think the most sense would be is to leave on the US with the US passport and enter the UK with UK passport. Then, leave the UK with the UK passport and enter the US with the US Passport. I am not sure, if this is breaking any immigration laws etc. I would appreciate anyone's input who has a similar situation, thanks!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual US-UK passport

Originally Posted by Ramos_5
Then, leave the UK with the UK passport and enter the US with the US Passport. I am not sure, if this is breaking any immigration laws etc.
It is!

But, there's a solution. I'll move your thread to the USA forum where there are many others just like it.. you can search out the past threads while waiting for more replies.

US citizens must exit and enter on their US passports, but there is no passport exit control *except* sorta the airline. You would need to check in for your UK-->US flight as a US citizen.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

On a USA-UK-USA round trip you use your UK passport in just one place: entering the UK. The rest of the time you must use your US passport.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It is!

US citizens must exit and enter on their US passports, but there is no passport exit control *except* sorta the airline.
Except for the UK passport control after/between security screenings at some UK airports
Old Feb 18th 2011, 10:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Except for the UK passport control after/between security screenings at some UK airports
Thanks.
I must stop making definative statements.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 11:35 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I usually just hand over both and let them decide.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 11:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
On a USA-UK-USA round trip you use your UK passport in just one place: entering the UK. The rest of the time you must use your US passport.
Or if the trip to the UK is just a holiday, use which ever one sticks you in the shortest line

The UK doesn't care as long as the passport you use is fit for the purpose of the trip. The US cares though.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by avanutria
I usually just hand over both and let them decide.
Let who decide?
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:58 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Let who decide?
The people at the airport check-in counter.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Or if the trip to the UK is just a holiday, use which ever one sticks you in the shortest line
That works, too!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Rougesvp is an unknown quantity at this point

The U.S. side can get bent out of shape about it.

The U.K. couldn't care less... reflects in our Immigration situation
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:24 am
Just Joined

Ramos_5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I like Nutmegger's idea as I heard other people doing the same thing.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 6:45 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

I go into/out of the USA / UK about 4 or 5 times a year and basically, only when entering the USA you NEED to use your US passport. You'll get in if you don't but boy, will you really piss them off at you don't need the hassle.

It makes sense to enter the UK on the UK one since the lines are normally shorter and entering the UK on the US passport again, isn't worth the hassle.

If when you leave the USA, the airline doesn't care. However, when you leave the UK to come back to USA, the UK has a secondary processing - just before you board/gate - that's there to make sure you have a visa/right to go to USA but pretty lame. It doesn't do much except to try and help them not have to have to pay for you to be on the return flight

I now have the new UK Bio Readable passport so I don't even have to see a person when I enter the UK

The USA accepts dual nationality as it's silly for them not to. It's even written in every American passport that if you enter another country on another passport, there is then just no guarantee the American Consulate can help you if you need help (But as an American Citizen, they have to TRY anyway - LOL)
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:01 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s

The USA accepts dual nationality as it's silly for them not to. It's even written in every American passport that if you enter another country on another passport, there is then just no guarantee the American Consulate can help you if you need help (But as an American Citizen, they have to TRY anyway - LOL)
As soon as I'm out of the US that passport goes in the bottom of my bag and I travel on my UK passport. If I was in a foreign jail I'd call the British embassy, not the US. US officials give me the willies.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
The USA accepts dual nationality as it's silly for them not to.
The US does not officially recognize dual citizenship. The US will deal with you only as either a USC or a non-USC.

But as an American Citizen, they have to TRY anyway
No, they don't.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.