British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dual Passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dual-passport-723324/)

Vairam Jul 2nd 2011 1:09 pm

Dual Passport

We are UK citizen and live in the USA in a Green Card.
I am thinking of applying for US citizen, but i do not see anything on the form asking for dual citizen.

i have few questions, may be you can answer for that.

1- will i lose my UK citizen if i take USA citizen?

2- which passport i have to use when i travel to UK?

3- if my children go to UK to study, can they fill the application form saying that they are British to claim that they are home students ?

i am sure many people in a situation like me, hope to hear from you all.

Manc Jul 2nd 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Dual Passport

shoot me in the *****ing head

fromthemanorborn Jul 2nd 2011 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 9470677)

5 asterisks? I'm intrigued......

JAJ Jul 2nd 2011 2:53 pm

All these questions are asked and answered every week, have you actually read through the forum before asking? (people do want to help, but ... )

Vairam Jul 2nd 2011 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 9470677)

Manc, Are you a maniac moron?
Answer to my question, simple.

Manc Jul 2nd 2011 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Vairam (Post 9470856)
Answer to my question, simple.

yes.....

if you used the search function you'd know that too

ian-mstm Jul 2nd 2011 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Vairam (Post 9470664)
... i do not see anything on the form asking for dual citizen.

While they tolerate it, the US will not recognize that you are the citizen of another country. They will treat you only as a US citizen and nothing else... and that's why there's no mention of dual citizenship on the N-400.

No.

If you're a USC, you must use your US passport to enter/leave the US. When you get to the UK, you then use your UK passport to enter. You will need to carry both passports with you when you travel.

3- if my children go to UK to study, can they fill the application form saying that they are British to claim that they are home students ?
While the children may be British, then aren't home students if they don't live in the UK. So... do you regularly encourage your children to lie?

Ian

ian-mstm Jul 2nd 2011 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Vairam (Post 9470856)

Actually, Manc isn't a maniac moron. I'm trying to wrap my head around that specific combination... maniac moron. Most maniacs are quite intelligent which, of necessity, negates the moron concept.

Further, since Manc actually knows the answer but prefers that you do a bit of research on your own using the handy search feature in this forum, that negates your concept that he's a moron! :)

Ian

Vairam Jul 2nd 2011 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9470899)
While they tolerate it, the US will not recognize that you are the citizen of another country. They will treat you only as a US citizen and nothing else... and that's why there's no mention of dual citizenship on the N-400.

No.

If you're a USC, you must use your US passport to enter/leave the US. When you get to the UK, you then use your UK passport to enter. You will need to carry both passports with you when you travel.

While the children may be British, then aren't home students if they don't live in the UK. So... do you regularly encourage your children to lie?

Ian

Ian, thank you for your reply.
I do not want my kids to lie and end up in truble with the uni where they are going to study, this case they have to tell UK universites that they are American. What is going to happen when they apply for a job in the UK? they need workpermit etc if they tell the employer that they are American?

lisa67 Jul 2nd 2011 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Vairam (Post 9470960)
I do not want my kids to lie and end up in truble with the uni where they are going to study, this case they have to tell UK universites that they are American. What is going to happen when they apply for a job in the UK? they need workpermit etc if they tell the employer that they are American?

If your kids are UK citizens then they will always be UK citizens. If they are US citizens as well then they will have citizenship for both countries.
If they apply for a job in the UK they will not be lying by saying they are UK citizens...I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill!!

Jerseygirl Jul 2nd 2011 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Vairam (Post 9470960)

If you're children are British they don't have to tell anyone that they are American too. If they have been living out of the UK for the 3 years preceeding uni they will have to pay International Fees...whether they say they are British or American.

I took dual citizenship 4 years ago...but if anyone asks me I always say British...it's in my blood. ;)

Vairam Jul 2nd 2011 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9470976)
If you're children are British they don't have to tell anyone that they are American too. If they have been living out of the UK for the 3 years preceeding uni they will have to pay International Fees...whether they say they are British or American.

I took dual citizenship 4 years ago...but if anyone asks me I always say British...it's in my blood. ;)

Jersygirl:
my kids do not want to lose the British passport.
which passport you use to travel to the UK? American passport or Both.
that is, i was told that you can not use British passport to leave/enter USA once you become the USC.

limeynus Jul 2nd 2011 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Vairam (Post 9471015)
Jersygirl:
that is, i was told that you can not use British passport to leave/enter USA once you become the USC.

I use my US passport to leave the US. My UK passport to enter UK and my US passport to leave UK/enter US.

Dawn

meauxna Jul 2nd 2011 6:10 pm

3- if my children go to UK to study, can they fill the application form saying that they are British to claim that they are home students ? .

If your children are British, they remain British. They can tell the school about that nationality, but it will not change the *residency* requirement for them to qualify for local tuition.

meauxna Jul 2nd 2011 6:11 pm

Jersygirl:

Once you become a US citizen, you must enter and exit the US with that passport.

That has nothing to do with which passport you use to enter the UK.
Many people travel with two passports.

Manc Jul 2nd 2011 6:56 pm

I often hear people saying they use their US passport to leave the USA

I've yet to go through passport control or immigration whilst leaving the USA.

sir_eccles Jul 2nd 2011 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 9471098)
I often hear people saying they use their US passport to leave the USA

I've yet to go through passport control or immigration whilst leaving the USA.

You check into your flight right?

Jerseygirl Jul 2nd 2011 7:51 pm

Jersygirl:

That is correct but it doesn't mean they have to give up their UK PP.

Many of us 'dualies' leave and enter the US using our US PP...as required. We enter the UK using our UK PP and leave the UK using our US PP.

Manc Jul 2nd 2011 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9471127)
You check into your flight right?

since when is the $12 per hour Delta checkin staff passport control?

I suspect that the airlines would prefer you to use your UK passport when checking in or a flight to the UK as then it shows you do have the right to enter Britain and won't be sent back (possibly at their expense).

meauxna Jul 2nd 2011 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 9471158)

I suspect that the airlines would prefer you to use your UK passport when checking in or a flight to the UK as then it shows you do have the right to enter Britain and won't be sent back (possibly at their expense).

When they send the flight manifest information to the feds.

Jerseygirl Jul 2nd 2011 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 9471158)

When you buy your ticket you have to give your PP details to the airline. AFAIK the airline then passes the details on to Homeland Security (or whatever dept it's called) for security checks. When you check-in your PP is swiped and the passenger list with your details on is sent onto the UK before the plane leaves the US. Likewise when you leave the UK to fly to the US.

The reason why tickets booked within 7 days of the flight are so much more expensive is because they have to rush the security checks through.

Manc Jul 2nd 2011 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9471161)
When they send the flight manifest information to the feds.

again...

it's neither passport control or immigration.

Manc Jul 2nd 2011 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9471162)
When you buy your ticket you have to give your PP details to the airline. AFAIK the airline then passes the details on to Homeland Security (or whatever dept it's called) for security checks. When you check-in your PP is swiped and the passenger list with your details on is sent onto the UK before the plane leaves the US. Likewise when you leave the UK to fly to the US.

The reason why tickets booked within 7 days of the flight are so much more expensive is because they have to rush the security checks through.

that's to see if you're going to pack semtex in your skiddies...........

Manc Jul 2nd 2011 8:02 pm

again, you can show a bangladeshi passport if you have one to leave the USA, as it doesn't give a toss because there is no immigration or passport control on leaving the USA.

if you've a Visa waiver form in your passport some airline lacky takes that, no-one even remotely near to federal........

meauxna Jul 2nd 2011 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 9471170)
if you've a Visa waiver form in your passport some airline lacky takes that, no-one even remotely near to federal........

So what? It gets turned over to DHS. Same-same.

Manc Jul 2nd 2011 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9471176)
So what? It gets turned over to DHS. Same-same.

why would a US citizen or GC holder or dual national have a visa waiver form???

not same same at all.

there are no exit controls for USA / dual citizens at airports or the like.

otherwisde there would be an exit control to check people leaving Detroit on the Ambassador bridge..........

but there isn't.

sir_eccles Jul 2nd 2011 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 9471179)
why would a US citizen or GC holder or dual national have a visa waiver form???

not same same at all.

there are no exit controls for USA / dual citizens at airports or the like.

otherwisde there would be an exit control to check people leaving Detroit on the Ambassador bridge..........

but there isn't.

I wrote a whole thing about the APIS system and exit controls in the US, clearly you didn't bother to read it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719375

Manc Jul 2nd 2011 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9471206)
I wrote a whole thing about the APIS system and exit controls in the US, clearly you didn't bother to read it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719375

again..........

we're talking about exit controls here for dual nationals no?

not people who have overstayed.

there is no APIS or exit control for people leaving the USA through the Windsor tunnel.

you just drive to Canada.............

meauxna Jul 2nd 2011 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 9471209)

As usual, you drag a simple conversation (simple for the OP to understand) all over the planet. So it's not "exit controls" the way you are thinking of them, with a little booth and a government goon. I still say, "so what?". The data about which passport you exited the US on is still handed over to the US government, which has said that you must exit on your US passport.
It seems pretty basic to me.

Manc Jul 2nd 2011 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9471221)
As usual, you drag a simple conversation (simple for the OP to understand) all over the planet. So it's not "exit controls" the way you are thinking of them, with a little booth and a government goon. I still say, "so what?". The data about which passport you exited the US on is still handed over to the US government, which has said that you must exit on your US passport.
It seems pretty basic to me.

Your mistaking checking in for an international flight as the same as leaving the country.
it's just checking in.

you can turn around and walk out the airport and never get on the flight........... you never left the country.

semantics I know.
but it is NOT the same.
What's US-VISIT? the pilot program, that's an exit control for visitors no?
but not for dul nationals or US citizens?

Manc Jul 2nd 2011 9:22 pm

It's illegal to hunt grizzly bears in California.

but they're aren't any grizzly bears in California........

it's a illegal though so don't do it.......

jaytee Jul 2nd 2011 10:15 pm

We are UK citizen and live in the USA in a Green Card.
I am thinking of applying for US citizen, but i do not see anything on the form asking for dual citizen.

i have few questions, may be you can answer for that.

i am sure many people in a situation like me, hope to hear from you all.

US State Department Services Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

Home Office -- UK Border Agency

Can I be a citizen of two countries?

This page explains how to find out whether you can be a citizen of two countries and how this affects you when you travel abroad.
When becoming a British citizen

You do not need to give up your present citizenship or nationality to become a British citizen.

Many countries will not let you have two nationalities (dual nationality). If you become a British citizen and are a national of a country which does not allow dual nationality, the authorities of that country may either regard you as having lost that nationality or may refuse to recognise your new nationality. Before you apply for British citizenship you may wish to check what your position would be with the authorities of the country of which you are a citizen.
If you become a national of another country

You will not normally lose your British nationality if you become a citizen or national of another country. If you are a British subject otherwise than by connection with the Republic of Ireland you will lose that status on acquiring any other nationality or citizenship. If you are a British protected person you will lose that status on acquiring any other nationality or citizenship.

If you are becoming a citizen or national of a country that does not allow dual nationality, you may be required by that country to give up your British nationality.
If you are married to a national of another country

Under the nationality laws of some countries, a married person automatically has his or her partner's nationality. Children may also have a parent's nationality even if they were born abroad. If your wife, husband or child is visiting the country of your nationality, you should check with the country's consulate or high commission in the United Kingdom before you travel.
Travelling abroad

Under international law, we cannot give you diplomatic help if you are in a country of which you are a national. For example, if you hold both British and Chinese nationality we would be unable to give you diplomatic help when you are visiting China.

If you are planning to visit your former homeland, and you are not sure whether you have lost your old nationality, you should check with the country's consulate or high commission in the United Kingdom before you travel. If you have not lost the old nationality and want to give it up, they will be able to tell you what to do.

ian-mstm Jul 2nd 2011 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by jaytee (Post 9471303)
US State Department Services Dual Nationality

Thanks for joining the party. This is an old argument and is rehashed in this and other forums several times per year. Regardless of what the law says, there is no passport exit control in the US... and so the law is unenforceable in practice. Does that change the law? No, but whether someone follows the law or not is meaningless, since nothing whatsoever will ever come of it.

Ian

Manc Jul 3rd 2011 12:04 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9471395)
Thanks for joining the party. This is an old argument and is rehashed in this and other forums several times per year. Regardless of what the law says, there is no passport exit control in the US... and so the law is unenforceable in practice. Does that change the law? No, but whether someone follows the law or not is meaningless, since nothing whatsoever will ever come of it.

Ian

If there ever happens to be exit controls for US Citizens then I expect the law to be followed as per the directive.

however there is no law stating you must represent yourself as a US citizen to check in for an international flight - no matter what the airlines do with your info.

Bob Jul 3rd 2011 12:05 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9470899)

Don't need two. Can just use their US passport to enter the UK if the purpose of the trip is just a holiday.

anuny Jul 3rd 2011 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 9471209)
again..........

not people who have overstayed.

there is no APIS or exit control for people leaving the USA through the Windsor tunnel.

you just drive to Canada.............

APIS pertains to data an airline has to supply USG/DHS. Leaving the country is a formality; however entering US about 15 minutes (or was it 30 minutes) before take-off the airline is supposed to transmit it to US, or face denial of landing.

Driving a car, and/or ship/ferries are not as yet subject to same controls. You can use a passport card (as a USC) crossing the border in Buffalo, which a lot of cross-border commuters do.

Manc Jul 3rd 2011 12:26 am

Originally Posted by anuny (Post 9471483)
APIS pertains to data an airline has to supply USG/DHS. Leaving the country is a formality; however entering US about 15 minutes (or was it 30 minutes) before take-off the airline is supposed to transmit it to US, or face denial of landing.

Driving a car, and/or ship/ferries are not as yet subject to same controls. You can use a passport card (as a USC) crossing the border in Buffalo, which a lot of cross-border commuters do.

I'm sure that's what I said.

be right back

I'm going to bang my head on a wall.

Vairam Jul 3rd 2011 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9471053)
Once you become a US citizen, you must enter and exit the US with that passport.

That has nothing to do with which passport you use to enter the UK.
Many people travel with two passports.

i belive the air lines scan our passport and send the infomation to Homeland security in ths US and to the imigration of the detination county, this case,
my infomation goes to UK saying that a person traveling with US passport to your country.
when i land in the UK aiport if i give my UK passport to the imigration,This where i confused because

UK imgration is going to ask question where this guy is coming from since there is no infomation from the originating country (where he is coming from) for that passport in their database.

do i have to show both passport to UK imigration?

ian-mstm Jul 3rd 2011 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Vairam (Post 9472497)
... when i land in the UK aiport if i give my UK passport to the imigration,This where i confused...

Why do you think that HM's government cares whether or not you have a US passport and showed that passport when you got on the plane? They don't care.

UK imgration is going to ask question...
Umm... no, they won't. But, even if they do - what does it matter. If you are a UKC and show a valid UK passport when you arrive in the UK, no one is going to care that you also have a US passport and that you showed the US passport when you got on the plane.

do i have to show both passport to UK imigration?
No. You can show only your UK passport.

People have repeatedly given you the correct information, so I'm not sure why you don't understand that it's perfectly okay to show your US passport when you leave the US, and show your UK passport when you enter the UK. That's what you're supposed to do.

Ian