Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Passport

Dual Passport

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Vairam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Passport

We are UK citizen and live in the USA in a Green Card.
I am thinking of applying for US citizen, but i do not see anything on the form asking for dual citizen.

i have few questions, may be you can answer for that.

1- will i lose my UK citizen if i take USA citizen?

2- which passport i have to use when i travel to UK?

3- if my children go to UK to study, can they fill the application form saying that they are British to claim that they are home students ?

i am sure many people in a situation like me, hope to hear from you all.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 1:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Passport

shoot me in the *****ing head
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Manc
5 asterisks? I'm intrigued......
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 2:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

All these questions are asked and answered every week, have you actually read through the forum before asking? (people do want to help, but ... )

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 2nd 2011 at 3:00 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
Manc, Are you a maniac moron?
Answer to my question, simple.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 3:34 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vairam
Answer to my question, simple.
yes.....

if you used the search function you'd know that too
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... i do not see anything on the form asking for dual citizen.
While they tolerate it, the US will not recognize that you are the citizen of another country. They will treat you only as a US citizen and nothing else... and that's why there's no mention of dual citizenship on the N-400.

1- will i lose my UK citizen if i take USA citizen?
No.

2- which passport i have to use when i travel to UK?
If you're a USC, you must use your US passport to enter/leave the US. When you get to the UK, you then use your UK passport to enter. You will need to carry both passports with you when you travel.

3- if my children go to UK to study, can they fill the application form saying that they are British to claim that they are home students ?
While the children may be British, then aren't home students if they don't live in the UK. So... do you regularly encourage your children to lie?

Ian
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, Manc isn't a maniac moron. I'm trying to wrap my head around that specific combination... maniac moron. Most maniacs are quite intelligent which, of necessity, negates the moron concept.

Further, since Manc actually knows the answer but prefers that you do a bit of research on your own using the handy search feature in this forum, that negates your concept that he's a moron!

Ian
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
While they tolerate it, the US will not recognize that you are the citizen of another country. They will treat you only as a US citizen and nothing else... and that's why there's no mention of dual citizenship on the N-400.

No.

If you're a USC, you must use your US passport to enter/leave the US. When you get to the UK, you then use your UK passport to enter. You will need to carry both passports with you when you travel.

While the children may be British, then aren't home students if they don't live in the UK. So... do you regularly encourage your children to lie?

Ian
Ian, thank you for your reply.
I do not want my kids to lie and end up in truble with the uni where they are going to study, this case they have to tell UK universites that they are American. What is going to happen when they apply for a job in the UK? they need workpermit etc if they tell the employer that they are American?
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not want my kids to lie and end up in truble with the uni where they are going to study, this case they have to tell UK universites that they are American. What is going to happen when they apply for a job in the UK? they need workpermit etc if they tell the employer that they are American?
If your kids are UK citizens then they will always be UK citizens. If they are US citizens as well then they will have citizenship for both countries.
If they apply for a job in the UK they will not be lying by saying they are UK citizens...I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill!!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you're children are British they don't have to tell anyone that they are American too. If they have been living out of the UK for the 3 years preceeding uni they will have to pay International Fees...whether they say they are British or American.

I took dual citizenship 4 years ago...but if anyone asks me I always say British...it's in my blood.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you're children are British they don't have to tell anyone that they are American too. If they have been living out of the UK for the 3 years preceeding uni they will have to pay International Fees...whether they say they are British or American.

I took dual citizenship 4 years ago...but if anyone asks me I always say British...it's in my blood.
Jersygirl:
my kids do not want to lose the British passport.
which passport you use to travel to the UK? American passport or Both.
that is, i was told that you can not use British passport to leave/enter USA once you become the USC.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Jersygirl:
that is, i was told that you can not use British passport to leave/enter USA once you become the USC.
I use my US passport to leave the US. My UK passport to enter UK and my US passport to leave UK/enter US.

Dawn
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 6:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

3- if my children go to UK to study, can they fill the application form saying that they are British to claim that they are home students ? .
If your children are British, they remain British. They can tell the school about that nationality, but it will not change the *residency* requirement for them to qualify for local tuition.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 6:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Jersygirl:
Once you become a US citizen, you must enter and exit the US with that passport.

That has nothing to do with which passport you use to enter the UK.
Many people travel with two passports.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.