Reload this Page >

Dual Nationality UK-US

Dual Nationality UK-US

Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

CaptainFreeFall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Nationality UK-US

Hey, i have a few questions to ask.

How do i attain a US passport? i have a UK passport and i am a British citizen, but my dad is from the US and born there, but i was born in the UK but i have not worked (was in school) or lived in the US since 2001.

How do apply for a US passport claiming dual nationality? we have not been back to the US since 2001.

Thank you
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:35 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Nationality UK-US

Are you sure you are a US citizen? Have you ever had a US passport?
What year were you born? How long has your dad lived in the US? Were your parents married when you were born?

Originally Posted by CaptainFreeFall
Hey, i have a few questions to ask.

How do i attain a US passport? i have a UK passport and i am a British citizen, but my dad is from the US and born there, but i was born in the UK but i have not worked (was in school) or lived in the US since 2001.

How do apply for a US passport claiming dual nationality? we have not been back to the US since 2001.

Thank you
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Well i was born in 1988, in the UK, i've never had a US passport.
My parents were married when i was born. my dad lived in the US previous to 1987. Then returned to the US in 2001 at the beginning of the year and left at the end of the year.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:47 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Did your father live in the US for five years or more prior to your birth?
If not, you are not a US citizen I am afraid..

Well i was born in 1988, in the UK, i've never had a US passport.
My parents were married when i was born. my dad lived in the US previous to 1987. Then returned to the US in 2001 at the beginning of the year and left at the end of the year.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Yes my dad lived in the US for more than 5 years Prior to my birth.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:02 pm
Passport Collector

Great, if you can prove that your father lived for five years or more in the US prior to your birth, two of which after the age of fourteen you should be able to get a US passport.

Just download the passport application from the state department and apply at the nearest US embassy. Attach proof of your fathers citizenship, your birth certificate, his marriage certificate and proof of his years of residence in the US.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...first_830.html

If your father obtained a consular report of birth from the US embassy before you turned 18, you only need that and things are much simpler.

Last edited by dreamercon; Jan 26th 2009 at 7:07 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

After you get your passport, get a SSN here.

Don't forget to file your taxes here.

Read and understand US dual citizenship issues here.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Others have told you that you may be a U.S. citizen already, depends on circumstances.

You say you lived in the United States before 2001 ... on what documentation? (passport, visa etc).

If you are a U.S. citizen, make sure to register immediately with Selective Service: http://www.sss.gov
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

I lived in the US in the year of 2001, under the context i was under 18 and my dad was a US citizen, and my mother had a green card working in the US also.

I'm sorry i really don't know anymore details - when we moved over there we had go threw an immigration lawyer to get it sorted that my mum could remain in the US, even though my grandparents could vouch for me and my mum.

I just wondered if i had rights to a Dual nationality and a US passport.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I just wondered if i had rights to a Dual nationality and a US passport.
It sounds like you need to get some more details then.. can your parents help you with any of that history? Or does your passport reveal anything?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

robb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nice

Was your dad in the military? If he was stationed in England when you were born then he should have registered your birth with the US Embassy in London.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in the US in the year of 2001, under the context i was under 18 and my dad was a US citizen, and my mother had a green card working in the US also.
What was your status? Did you have a green card, Social Security card or anything?

What passport did you use to come to the United States and on what basis were you admitted?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:06 am
Just Joined

British citizen
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

British citizen
And immigration status in the United States?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

i'm really not sure, i'm sorry - my best guess would be in custody of my dad.. i was young..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.