Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship question

Wikiposts

Dual Citizenship question

Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship question

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Why? He's already a UKC by descent from the sounds of it.
He has his own birth certificate and his mothers birth certificate, the original passport no longer exists, If he sends as much information as he has they will let him know if they need more, maybe a photocopy of his photo page of the US passport. But hiring a lawyer seems a bit overkill.
When I didn't include a photocopy of my sons US passport picture page, for his first UK passport (after he'd been on my passport for years) they called me asn asked me to fax a copy of the picture page to them.
When my son (similarly situated) went through this process three years back they wanted a photocopy of the main page of his US passport. It did not have to be certified, it is for ID (i.e. counter terrorism paranoia nonsense) purposes. Just to make sure that everyone stays afraid of their shadow, both governments want that.

Long form mother's birth certificate will be required, get a new one from Smedley Hydro. Applicant's own birth certificate will be required to prove age.
The tricky part, if any, is that you have to prove that you were a "live birth" as contrasted with an adopted child. Many US birth certificates are not accepted as proof of that. Hospital records are, but are not always available from long ago.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

amoco is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Holly. I was beginning to wonder if I had the right birth certificate for my mom, (I do) but my main concern is the fact that she has no passport at all. None. She has lived in the states for 51 years and has never become a citizen, left the country once but was told that next time she would have have a passport in order to go in and out. She has NOT become a US citizen and as far as I know is still a British citizen. I am going to call the British embassy in the US after the holidays to see if I can gain some words of wisdom. This whole process is like putting a puzzle together.

Cheers and Thanks!

Amoco
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

I forgot to mention that my personal birth certificate is a live birth one so I am covered on that front!

Amoco
Old Dec 27th 2012, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you have, or aspire to have, a U.S. security clearance then you should understand that this might be affected by you taking up a foreign citizenship.
Sounds like he/she is a UK citizen by descent already so it wouldn't be a case of "taking up a foreign citizenship" at all.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 7:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amoco
I am an American with British born parents who came to the states in 1961, the year I was born. I am applying for British citizenship through descent but while I have my mothers birth certificate, I have no expired passport of any kind from her which is one of the requirements listed. She said that when they came here, they took her passport. My mother does not travel outside of the US so has not kept a passport handy. Any ideas as to what I can do? If this is in the wrong thread, I apologize as this is my first post.
You say British born parents - so where is your father's U.K. birth certificate? If you have that + your parents marriage certificate then you're already a British citizen by descent and can apply directly for a British passport.

If the claim to British citizenship is through the mother only then you have to register as a British citizen through the UKM process. This is an entitlement. You don't need parent's old passports but will need long form birth certificate plus good proof of ID.

Don't waste time calling the British Embassy (they won't help you) and you don't need a lawyer. You simply need to apply for a British passport (if claimed through the father) or to the Home Office for registration as a British citizen (if claimed through the mother).

If you have, or aspire to have, a U.S. security clearance then taking up a foreign citizenship/passport may impact that.

If your mother hasn't become a U.S. citizen then it might be a good thing for her to consider.

Last edited by JAJ; Dec 27th 2012 at 7:41 am.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 7:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Sounds like he/she is a UK citizen by descent already so it wouldn't be a case of "taking up a foreign citizenship" at all.
He was born in 1961, so there can't be automatic citizenship through the mother (but that can be acquired through UKM registration application). If his father is British born then he may already be a British citizen.

Acquiring a foreign passport might also impact a security clearance, even if the citizenship was already held.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Acquiring a foreign passport might also impact a security clearance, even if the citizenship was already held.
I actually have some personal experience of this. It is the holding of the citizenship itself (not the passport) that is the issue.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Dec 27th 2012 at 8:25 am.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
He was born in 1961, so there can't be automatic citizenship through the mother (but that can be acquired through UKM registration application). If his father is British born then he may already be a British citizen.
He stated that both parents were British born.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Yes both of my parents were born in the UK and they were married in Nairobi in the 1950's then moved to the states in 1961. I am going through my mother as I am not on the best of terms with my father. I am very sure that my mother will not become a US citizen at this late stage of the game as she has refused to even consider looking into what it takes do so. As for a security clearance, I am assuming you mean a high level government job of some sort? No worries there I'm just a working stiff! I appreciate the input and am using it to explore as many avenues as possible so keep them coming!
Thanks, Amoco
Old Dec 30th 2012, 11:26 am
JAJ
Retired

Yes both of my parents were born in the UK and they were married in Nairobi in the 1950's then moved to the states in 1961. I am going through my mother as I am not on the best of terms with my father.
If your father was born in the United Kingdom you don't need his permission to get his birth certificate. Just apply to the relevant birth registry in the United Kingdom.

Does your mother have a copy of their marriage certificate?

You shouldn't normally be applying for registration as a British citizen if you can show that you are already a British citizen.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

I do have their marriage certificate! Are you saying that I don't have to go through the UKM application even though I was born in the US? If that is the case, who would I approach? The UK Border Agency?

Thanks, Amoco
Old Dec 30th 2012, 12:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

I do have their marriage certificate! Are you saying that I don't have to go through the UKM application even though I was born in the US?
You can get a copy of your father's birth certificate from the U.K. and then apply directly for a British passport.
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...nals/passports

It would be advisable to get a duplicate of the marriage certificate since they don't accept photocopies and there is a risk the application documents will be lost either in transit or at the British Embassy.

Alternatively - complete form NS and send to the Home Office (U.K. Border Agency) with supporting documents. They should issue you with a certificate confirming British citizenship, that way you don't need to send as many documents to the Embassy.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ty/form_ns.pdf
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...y/guide_ns.pdf
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks JAJ,
I'm in the process of sending for my father's birth certificate and will continue on with birth certificate and marriage certificate in hand.

Amoco
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice

I am helping a friend with a similar case,

They have a UKC father and a USC mother, the Father became a UKC in 1963, and she was born 1981.

She has his original Birth Certificate, and both Grandparents Birth Certificates, along with her own and the US (New York) marriage certificate.

Am I right in thinking that she can apply directly for a passport to Washington? How long does that take?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by COSPhil
I am helping a friend with a similar case,

They have a UKC father and a USC mother, the Father became a UKC in 1963, and she was born 1981.

She has his original Birth Certificate, and both Grandparents Birth Certificates, along with her own and the US (New York) marriage certificate.

Am I right in thinking that she can apply directly for a passport to Washington? How long does that take?

Are you saying that the father was born in Britain and became a U.S. citizen in 1963?

If that's the case, then apply directly for a British passport, normally. Make sure she has duplicates of the documents before sending anything away (and use a secure method) in case they are lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.