Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dry sense of humour?

Wikiposts

Dry sense of humour?

Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:45 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dry sense of humour?

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Well thats jolly nice of them. Should I send a letter of thanks to GW do you think?
He could always get someone to read it for him -> -> <- <-
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:47 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
He could always get someone to read it for him -> -> <- <-
Were you jesting then or did you mean that? Sorry but the smilly thing was way to subtle for me.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:47 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly how was I trolling? My first post provided all of you with a rather candid and succinct answer to the OP's query about Americans and their general interpretation of English humor.

I thought that some of you might be interested in learning about how Americans interpret sarcasm from the perspective of a native who is well-traveled and can have a good laugh about our quirks and faults, but some of you would apparently prefer to piss on endlessly about the US rather than accept my observations for what they are. If you don't welcome the input of someone willing to share a few insights different from your own and would rather whinge in a big group hug, that's your problem, not mine.

I came here to learn about possibly emigrating to Canada (not many US-oriented forums about that), and decided to pay your branch a visit. I'm not quite sure what ails Rushman, but you might wish to email him the healthcare threads when possible.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:49 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Exactly how was I trolling? My first post provided all of you with a rather candid and succinct answer to the OP's query about Americans and their general interpretation of English humor.

I thought that some of you might be interesting in learning about how Americans interpret sarcasm from the perspective of a native who is well-traveled and can have a good laugh about our quirks and faults, but some of you would apparently prefer to piss on endlessly about the US rather than accept my observations for what they are. If you don't welcome the input of someone willing to share a few insights different from your own and would rather whinge in a big group hug, that's your problem, not mine.

I came here to learn about possibly emigrating to Canada (not many US-oriented forums about that), and decided to pay your branch a visit. I'm not quite sure what ails Rushman, but you might wish to email him the healthcare threads when possible.

I know how most Americans intepret sarcasm...normally with a slightly bemused look in their eyes and a kind of gawping dribbly mouth type thing. Its quite fetching.

Actually. If you are an American then may I complement you on your irony and sarcasm.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:50 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that some of you might be interesting in learning about how Americans interpret sarcasm from the perspective of a native who is well-traveled and can have a good laugh about our quirks and faults, but some of you would apparently prefer to piss on endlessly about the US rather than accept my observations for what they are. If you don't welcome the input of someone willing to share a few insights different from your own and would rather whinge in a big group hug, that's your problem, not mine.

It's the baptism of fire. A requirement of board initiation. You just caught them on a high holy day. Any other time you may have been welcomed into the congregation with little comment. But today all the important dignitaries are bristling to go and you should have kept to handing out the hymn books. Better luck next week it's the church fete, they'll have you on the dunking stool.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:52 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly how was I trolling?
I never said you were
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:04 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
It's the baptism of fire. A requirement of board initiation. You just caught them on a high holy day. Any other time you may have been welcomed into the congregation with little comment. But today all the important dignitaries are bristling to go and you should have kept to handing out the hymn books. Better luck next week it's the church fete, they'll have you on the dunking stool.
Nicely put, but the fire seemed to fizzle pretty quickly. It's hard to fit in a workout with Rushman as a sparring partner. (And I gather from his comments that he gets bested pretty often around here?)
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:13 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Great so there's no need to ask our US spouses then.

I thought that some of you might be interested in learning about how Americans interpret sarcasm from the perspective of a native who is well-traveled and can have a good laugh about our quirks and faults,

Given the fact that the vast majority of us actually live here and have the powers of interpretation I don't really think you need to weigh so much importance on your trying to "educate" us.

but some of you would apparently prefer to piss on endlessly about the US rather than accept my observations for what they are.

Can't speak for the other but I definately would rather sledgehammer toothpicks under my fingernails than accept your observations for what they are (shite).

Originally Posted by roadWarriorFromLP
If you don't welcome the input of someone willing to share a few insights different from your own and would rather whinge in a big group hug, that's your problem, not mine.
I came here to learn about possibly emigrating to Canada (not many US-oriented forums about that), and decided to pay your branch a visit.
Ahh so the US is so great that you're going to emigrate to Canada? You are a master of Irony afterall.

I'm not quite sure what ails Rushman, but you might wish to email him the healthcare threads when possible.

What ails me is when people bang on endlessly about the Freedom Of Speech and that "love it or leave it" bollocks and then get pissed of and chastise people that use that privelidge.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:23 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Nicely put, but the fire seemed to fizzle pretty quickly. It's hard to fit in a workout with Rushman as a sparring partner. (And I gather from his comments that he gets bested pretty often around here?)
Strange that you chose to be gunning mostly for me
and have had a snidey swipe at manc
Hmmm..... who has crossed swords with manc and I before now?

As you want a "workout" with me I presume you came here to goad me into a fight.

Now we are clear, Bring it on!!!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:23 am
Bloody Yank

Rush, you make far too many spelling errors (if that's the King's English, then I guess the king must be dead) and use too many emoticons to be taken seriously, but consider these few points:

-You have every right to be a whinger, but I also have the right to tell you that you're rather unpleasant and insipid when you do it.

-From what I've read here, I have my doubts that you could have possibly scored yourself a bride or Yank friends who are pushing the top end of the bell curve, so I figured that you could use the help. (Yeah, who could blame me?)

-The only one who sees flagwaving is you, and you keep regurgitating this shite because you like to hear yourself talk, even if you have nothing of any relevance to say.

You have no clue about my politics or all of my views on the US. (Hint: let's just say I'm more than a wee bit to the left of the current president.) But feel free to argue about points that I never made.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rushman
Strange that you chose to be gunning mostly for me
and have had a snidey swipe at manc
Hmmm..... who has crossed swords with manc and I before now?

As you want a "workout" with me I presume you came here to goad me into a fight.

Now we are clear, Bring it on!!!
He bloody well ignored me! Not a peep. Im so mad I could crush a grape.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:28 am
Bloody Yank

Oh, and to stiffle any cries of "conspiracy!", I had never even heard of this board until earlier today, when I found it referenced on the Canada branch of the Lonely Planet website (hence my handle here.)

You seem to suspect that I'm somebody multihandling, when it seems that you simply exhibit aggression and a lack of humor with others as well. No wonder your wife won't sleep with you.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Oct 7th 2005 at 11:30 am.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Well to be honest I think if I find myself in Milton Keynes I'd looking to move too.
wouldn't move to swindon though
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
wouldn't move to swindon though
God no. Id move to Maine before Swindon any day.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:32 am
Bloody Yank

Sorry, AWP, didn't mean to ignore you (or the California Bride, for that matter.) Perhaps you need to be...angrier?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.