Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dry sense of humour?

Wikiposts

Dry sense of humour?

Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:42 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dry sense of humour?

Originally Posted by Maz
American attempts at "dry" humour, cynicism or wit always have to be delivered with the grace of a sledgehammer to make it across to US listeners, sadly...
And they have to say "Just Kidding" so you know its a joke!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 3:15 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
And they have to say "Just Kidding" so you know its a joke!
Were you just kidding then or did you really mean that
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:47 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Were you just kidding then or did you really mean that
Cue laugh track, and go!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:04 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

As a Yank, allow me to educate you about my people:

We are taught from an early age to be "nice" and friendly, above all else. Sarcasm in the US is often used as a passive-aggressive method to insult others, rather than as a vehicle for humor strictly for humor's sake as is the case in the UK.

The reason Americans may not seem to "get it" and/or may appear to be offended is they are trying to decode the insult in your comment, and determine the degree to which you intended offense. (Notice our generous use of the "I'm kidding" qualifier for those of use who do use sarcasm just for fun.)

Since we use often sarcasm as a way of communicating nastiness, we are expecting the same from you. Accordingly, Americans tend to believe that every comment uttered has some degree of truth or seriousness intended in it, and equate your sarcasm with you either being arrogant or unfriendly. Therefore, popular humor is more "obvious" and less "subtle" so as to offend as few people as possible, or to make it clear when offensiveness is intended. It's simply a cultural difference, you can decide for yourselves whose cultural spin you prefer.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Oct 7th 2005 at 9:06 am.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:08 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

We are taught from an early age to be "nice" and friendly, above all else. Sarcasm in the US is often used as a passive-aggressive method to insult others, rather than as a vehicle for humor strictly for humor's sake as is the case in the UK.

The reason Americans may not seem to "get it" and/or may appear to be offended is they are trying to decode the insult in your comment, and determine the degree to which you intended offense. (Notice our generous use of the "I'm kidding" qualifier for those of use who do use sarcasm just for fun.)

Since we use sarcasm as a way of communicating nastiness, we are expecting the same from you. Accordingly, Americans tend to believe that every comment uttered has some degree of truth or seriousness intended in it, and equate your sarcasm with you either being arrogant or unfriendly. Therefore, popular humor is more "obvious" and less "subtle" so as to offend as few people as possible, or to make it clear when offensiveness is intended. It's simply a cultural difference, you can decide for yourselves whose cultural spin you prefer.
Yes I can -> ->
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:25 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

The reason Americans may not seem to "get it" and/or may appear to be offended is they are trying to decode the insult in your comment, and determine the degree to which you intended offense.
I apologise on behalf of my fellow countrymen (and women) for not making OUR humour simple enough for you to understand.

Therefore, popular humor is more "obvious" and less "subtle" so as to offend as few people as possible
I would've thought it was the content/target of the humour that would be found offensive and not whether it was delivered in a "obvious" or "subtle" manner..

Originally Posted by RoadWarrierfromLP
It's simply a cultural difference, you can decide for yourselves whose cultural spin you prefer.
Thanks, A few of us have already
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:27 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Since we use often sarcasm as a way of communicating nastiness, we are expecting the same from you. Accordingly, Americans tend to believe that every comment uttered has some degree of truth or seriousness intended in it, and equate your sarcasm with you either being arrogant or unfriendly. Therefore, popular humor is more "obvious" and less "subtle" so as to offend as few people as possible, or to make it clear when offensiveness is intended. It's simply a cultural difference, you can decide for yourselves whose cultural spin you prefer.
why would we want to disguise our insults?
If I wanted to offend someone, I wouldn't be doing it in a jokey manner.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:34 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Rushman, I actually appreciate that many Brits have good senses of humor. Thanks for showing us that not all of them do -- nicely done, really.

Manc, I'm simply giving all of you a few insights and nuances about the American character and the social code. You can take it or leave it, but in "nice" cultures such as the US or Japan, jabs made at others are generally made indirectly, not overtly. Contrary to what some of you may believe, Yanks don't get in peoples' faces about everything.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:37 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Manc, I'm simply giving all of you a few insights and nuances about the American character and the social code. You can take it or leave it, but in "nice" cultures such as the US or Japan, jabs made at others are generally made indirectly, not overtly. Contrary to what some of you may believe, Yanks don't get in peoples' faces about everything.
"nice" culture?

give me a break.

America doesn't know how to have a laugh. Takes itself FAR to seriously, and is generally up it's own arse.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:38 am
Bloody Yank

Well, nothing is preventing you from living in Manchester, then. Piss off, why don't you?

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Oct 7th 2005 at 9:40 am.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:42 am
@matthewb76

Well, nothing is preventing you from living in Manchester, then. Piss off, why don't you?
and from such a nice culture too...........
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Contrary to what some of you may believe, Yanks don't get in peoples' faces about everything.
Oh is that right, did you come to a british forum or have I entered a US expats site by mistake?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:45 am
Account Closed

Oh here we go "Love it or leave it" again!!!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you said Americans are brought up to be nice Most of us are over here because of our Yank other half's, and yes alote are planning there return home
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:48 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent.... 3 posts and going for the jugular already

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.