Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dry sense of humour?

Wikiposts

Dry sense of humour?

Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:12 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dry sense of humour?

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
It's best to accept a place for its benefits and faults,
so, again, don't want to over simplify things with you.

you buy a house, and 3 weeks later the electricity goes on the blink, do you

A) call an electrician
B) live with the faults.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:12 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

No, Britvic, I've only heard about Milton Keynes from Google. As you may have read in the Guardian, only seventeen Americans have passports, and all of them are currently invading countries somewhere in the Middle East, so that couldn't possibly be me.

I wouldn't knock Swindon, that's home to the Magic Roundabout, evidence of what happens when traffic engineers have a few too many pints at lunch.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:13 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

As a Yank, allow me to educate you about my people:

We are taught from an early age to be "nice" and friendly, above all else. Sarcasm in the US is often used as a passive-aggressive method to insult others, rather than as a vehicle for humor strictly for humor's sake as is the case in the UK.

The reason Americans may not seem to "get it" and/or may appear to be offended is they are trying to decode the insult in your comment, and determine the degree to which you intended offense. (Notice our generous use of the "I'm kidding" qualifier for those of use who do use sarcasm just for fun.)

Since we use often sarcasm as a way of communicating nastiness, we are expecting the same from you. Accordingly, Americans tend to believe that every comment uttered has some degree of truth or seriousness intended in it, and equate your sarcasm with you either being arrogant or unfriendly. Therefore, popular humor is more "obvious" and less "subtle" so as to offend as few people as possible, or to make it clear when offensiveness is intended. It's simply a cultural difference, you can decide for yourselves whose cultural spin you prefer.
Personally I found the post interesting and informative. Not that I'm opposed to a bit of Yank bashing, ask him indoors!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:14 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Excellent.... 3 posts and going for the jugular already

Care for some of mine? It's suited to all tatstes.

Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:15 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Care for some of mine? It's suited to all tatstes.

Oooh ta, very racey popcorn....vroom vroom
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

.....It's best to accept a place for its benefits and faults, and try to enjoy it as best you can, rather than seethe about it while being nostalgic for a place about which you'd probably complain about if you lived there, anyway.
And if you replace "place" with "Forum" does your advice still hold?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:18 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Its my God given birthright as Brit to moan luck ***** about where I live whereever that may be.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:18 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Oooh ta, very racey popcorn....vroom vroom
think I'll sit this out and enjoy the popcorn too, Manc's got this drooling gibbering idiot covered.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:19 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Its my God given birthright as Brit to moan luck ***** about where I live whereever that may be.
People are fighting the terrorists in Iraq to uphold that right. fighting for your freedoms they are.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

No, Britvic, I've only heard about Milton Keynes from Google. As you may have read in the Guardian, only seventeen Americans have passports, and all of them are currently invading countries somewhere in the Middle East, so that couldn't possibly be me.

I wouldn't knock Swindon, that's home to the Magic Roundabout, evidence of what happens when traffic engineers have a few too many pints at lunch.
Well our Milton keynes is famous for it's roundabout's And I personally love them over trafficlight's.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:21 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Unfortunately your advice is falling on deaf ears. Roadwarrior lives in an American utopia, where there are no problems, he doesn't have to work, there is always food on the table and the mortgage is paid for him, so he has no need to moan.....ever.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:24 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Rushman, you're not a very good sport and more than a bit off-track. (Not sure how you confused my comments for flagwaving, guess I'll blame the beer.)

Nice to see that one can be an expat whilst living in his mother's basement. If I need advice about living with my parents into old age, I'll be sure to contact you.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:28 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Rushman, you're not a very good sport and more than a bit off-track. (Not sure how you confused my comments for flagwaving, guess I'll blame the beer.)
Nice to see that one can be an expat whilst living in his mother's basement. If I need advice about living with my parents into old age, I'll be sure to contact you.

Hmmm..... I get the feeling that you are not who you say you are. Your (lack of) wit seems strangely familiar in its immaturity.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:30 am
@matthewb76

Not sure how you confused my comments for flagwaving,
I think it was the like it or leave it attitude, gets old after awhile.

if you joined the forum to offer serious debate then welcome,

if you joined up to troll, piss off

if you joined up to find out about healthcare and schooling then you came to the right place apparently.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Manc
People are fighting the terrorists in Iraq to uphold that right. fighting for your freedoms they are.
Well thats jolly nice of them. Should I send a letter of thanks to GW do you think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.