Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dry sense of humour?

Wikiposts

Dry sense of humour?

Old Oct 6th 2005, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dry sense of humour?

Originally Posted by tony_2003
Anyone care to explain what the ***** a dry sense of humour is? Two yanks have told me I have it so far. The missus says it's a British sense of humour, which doesnt help me much.

If it helps, here is what led to the comment yesterday.
People were discussing Grace Kelly.

Americans - "yes she was a wonderful and beautiful actress"
Me (over hearing them) - "not much of a motorist though"
How did your humor go over with the Americans?
Old Oct 6th 2005, 4:10 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rushman
One of the greatest examples of sarcastic dry humour I've heard.

An old truck driver has just wedged his truck under a low bridge, standing there rolling a cigarette waiting for cops to arrive.
Young cop fresh out of the academy is first on the scene and asks the driver "Are you stuck"?
Driver doesn't even take his eyes from his handful of tobacco and replies "Hah, I'm delivering a *****in' bridge"!!

Ah now you see thats the American delivery.
A British truck driver would have said: "Good Lord officer, no. Do I look stuck? Im just having a quick smoke before offloading this bridge then I'll be on my way."

..Unless he came from Merseyside in which case he'd have said. "Eerr no. Im just looking after it for me mate. Its not mine honest.. and this aint wacky backy neither."

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Oct 6th 2005 at 4:13 am.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 4:10 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Celsius
Badly. He spelt it with a 'U'.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 4:20 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

What's weird is that my co-workers get my sense of humour better than my hubby. He's probably too busy trying to tell if I'm pissed at him though
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:18 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
What's weird is that my co-workers get my sense of humour better than my hubby. He's probably too busy trying to tell if I'm pissed at him though

I thought you were pissed at everybody, all the time
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:20 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I thought you were pissed at everybody, all the time

Except for you!
Old Oct 6th 2005, 7:27 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

American attempts at "dry" humour, cynicism or wit always have to be delivered with the grace of a sledgehammer to make it across to US listeners, sadly...
Old Oct 6th 2005, 9:42 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

I am always told I have a "British dry sense of humor". To me it's normal. Classic one that gets the "uhhh" reaction.

Sitting at the dinner table someone passes me a dish of salad and says "salad?"

I reply "yes it is".

Another recent one was while standing at the photocopier at work the girl next to me asked "can you mash the button?" To which I replied "mmmmmmmm no but I can mash potatoes".

After ten years I think my work colleagues are getting used to my "dry humor".

My husband's one liner to that frequently asked question "how did you get here?" is "by a big silver airplane".
Old Oct 6th 2005, 10:15 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lynne]

Another recent one was while standing at the photocopier at work the girl next to me asked "can you mash the button?" To which I replied "mmmmmmmm no but I can mash potatoes".

QUOTE]

And talking of potatoes - what do you call the ones you have with your roast beef and yorkiepud...no not the roasties, the others - are they mashed potatoes, or mash potatoes? They were always mashed to us, but over here, its seems to be mash potatoes, which sounds more like an instruction ...and now I see M&S are selling Mash Potatoes in their food section - wtf??

And whats with peas in a tin - are they Canned Vegetables (which is a description of what has been doe to them) or Can Vegetables (which appears to be a question about their ability in some field)?

sorry, long day, not a lot of sleep last night, frazzled from dealing with IRS, Sales Tax people and freakin' medical insurance.......
Old Oct 6th 2005, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

sprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
And talking of potatoes - what do you call the ones you have with your roast beef and yorkiepud...no not the roasties, the others - are they mashed potatoes, or mash potatoes? They were always mashed to us, but over here, its seems to be mash potatoes, which sounds more like an instruction ...and now I see M&S are selling Mash Potatoes in their food section - wtf??

And whats with peas in a tin - are they Canned Vegetables (which is a description of what has been doe to them) or Can Vegetables (which appears to be a question about their ability in some field)?

sorry, long day, not a lot of sleep last night, frazzled from dealing with IRS, Sales Tax people and freakin' medical insurance.......
Ha Ha, still MashED potatoes as far as im concerned or just mash as in ''D'you want some mash with your tea''

Oh and also canned veg rather than can veg lol
Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone care to explain what the ***** a dry sense of humour is? Two yanks have told me I have it so far. The missus says it's a British sense of humour, which doesnt help me much.

a perfect example..
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=13
Old Oct 6th 2005, 1:43 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Most of them don't get it so I usually limit my joke telling. One or two are in tune with me though.

What about when they attempt a piss take and they have to add "I'm only kidding" or "I'm just messing with ya" every single time.

I've gotten paranoid that Americans are easilly offended, so have started doing it myself after delivering a great sarcastic quip...which takes away all the fun if you ask me.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 1:49 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

I think they mean you are a sarcastic bastard

laugh at the darker things rather than the slap stick... my dad has a dry sense of humour and has me in stitches when he comes to visit....
Old Oct 6th 2005, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
They were always mashed to us, but over here, its seems to be mash potatoes, which sounds more like an instruction ...
Let's not mention Pea Soup then.....
Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Yorkieabroad]

QUOTE]

I just call it mash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.