Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dry sense of humour?

Wikiposts

Dry sense of humour?

Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:47 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dry sense of humour?

Anyone care to explain what the ***** a dry sense of humour is? Two yanks have told me I have it so far. The missus says it's a British sense of humour, which doesnt help me much.

If it helps, here is what led to the comment yesterday.
People were discussing Grace Kelly.

Americans - "yes she was a wonderful and beautiful actress"
Me (over hearing them) - "not much of a motorist though"
Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:50 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dry sense of humour?

Originally Posted by tony_2003
Anyone care to explain what the ***** a dry sense of humour is? Two yanks have told me I have it so far. The missus says it's a British sense of humour, which doesnt help me much.

People used to tell me that even when i was in school. I found it funny cuz half the time I was just being caustic and they took it as a joke. To me dry is like Jack Dee or maybe Mark Thomas.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:51 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Sarcastic piss taking. I don't think the yanks are quite as into it as us lot.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:55 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Sarcastic piss taking. I don't think the yanks are quite as into it as us lot.
But with an element of understatment. An American would probably have said "A lousy driver though"
Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:59 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
But with an element of understatment. An American would probably have said "A lousy driver though"
One of them actually said "well yeah she drove over a cliff!"...totally missing my sarcasm

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:00 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

One of them actually said "well yeah she drove over a cliff!"...totally missing my sarcasm

Thanks for the replies so far.
Yeah the joke kinda dies when you have to spell it out to your audience
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

A kind of straight-faced, mildly sarcastic or ironic kind of humor/humour.

Try this one next time you want a bit of "fun"...
Get a yank talking about your humour, explain about sarcasm and irony then drop in a sarcy comment. When they ask "was that sarcasm?" reply "No. That was irony. I'll tell you when Im being sarcastic.".

Only a brit (or someone with a brit sense of humour) would get it.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:09 pm
Get em out by Friday

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
A kind of straight-faced, mildly sarcastic or ironic kind of humor/humour.

Try this one next time you want a bit of "fun"...
Get a yank talking about your humour, explain about sarcasm and irony then drop in a sarcy comment. When they ask "was that sarcasm?" reply "No. That was irony. I'll tell you when Im being sarcastic.".

Only a brit (or someone with a brit sense of humour) would get it.
LOL! I'll try and work that one in tomorrow
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:10 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Yeah the joke kinda dies when you have to spell it out to your audience
I have to explain my one liners to my husband sometimes and he thinks it is sarcasm rather than humour. shows like 'Friends' (i.e. Chandler) have lots of "dry humour" so there's no excuse for Americans not getting it.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I wish I could've been there for that!!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I have to explain my one liners to my husband sometimes and he thinks it is sarcasm rather than humour. shows like 'Friends' (i.e. Chandler) have lots of "dry humour" so there's no excuse for Americans not getting it.
While they do have dry humour I think American humour (even the dry type) tends to be more obvious. The real key to Brit humour is the subtlety of it....the are they/arent they joking subtlety that takes a lifetime to get.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
While they do have dry humour I think American humour (even the dry type) tends to be more obvious. The real key to Brit humour is the subtlety of it.....
like Benny Hill
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Eskimo
like Benny Hill
Yeah. A bit like that. Just a bit mind. Maybe with more tits though.

Could be why our Mr Hill is so popular with the yankees.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

One of the greatest examples of sarcastic dry humour I've heard.

An old truck driver has just wedged his truck under a low bridge, standing there rolling a cigarette waiting for cops to arrive.
Young cop fresh out of the academy is first on the scene and asks the driver "Are you stuck"?
Driver doesn't even take his eyes from his handful of tobacco and replies "Hah, I'm delivering a *****in' bridge"!!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 5:09 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
like Benny Hill

Sorta Charlie Chaplin with sex IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.