Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driving in Virginia

driving in Virginia

Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:38 pm
Scottish forever

scotia123 will become famous soon enough
Default driving in Virginia

Can you drive in Virginia with your UK Driving License, if so for how long. I know I need to take a driving test but its getting around to doing it.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of
Default Re: driving in Virginia

Originally Posted by scotia123
Can you drive in Virginia with your UK Driving License, if so for how long. I know I need to take a driving test but its getting around to doing it.
Having a quick look around Virgina's DMV website it appears that you must obtain a Virginia driver's license within 60 days of moving to the state.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...ligibility.asp
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:11 pm
Scottish forever

Thanks for that info, I have been here for 18mths although not driving a car so I guess I am ok to go and take the test.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Same answer as your other post.
If you live in Virginia, you need to get a local DL.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Get a copy of the Virginia Drivers Manual from the DMV and read it the night before. You will use your new found, soon to be forgotten, knowledge of stopping distances, etc. the next day and ace the exam. Now climb into your car with the DMV examiner. Pull out of the parking lot and turn right, turn right, turn right, turn right back into the DMV parking lot, park front on in that triple empty parking space. Congratulations you have passed your driving test, now sit down with 100 other immigrants and wait to be called forward to receive your shiny new Virginia drivers license.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
Get a copy of the Virginia Drivers Manual from the DMV and read it the night before. You will use your new found, soon to be forgotten, knowledge of stopping distances, etc. the next day and ace the exam. Now climb into your car with the DMV examiner. Pull out of the parking lot and turn right, turn right, turn right, turn right back into the DMV parking lot, park front on in that triple empty parking space. Congratulations you have passed your driving test, now sit down with 100 other immigrants and wait to be called forward to receive your shiny new Virginia drivers license.
LOL that is exactly how it is in Virginia. When I moved to WV, they just gave me a new license. Lovely
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:37 pm
Scottish forever

Thanks everyone......I decided just to go down there today and guess what....it was just like you said.....except I did have to do a left turn!!!!....so now I am legal I guess.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

You have 3 months to either take a US test or go home .... Same time line as a visa waiver

Thats not VA law ! ........... It's federal law. Trouble is when you ask at DMV they usually have no f**kin idea

Last edited by Patrick Hasler; Jan 8th 2009 at 8:29 pm.