Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in USA

Driving in USA

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Driving in USA

Originally Posted by MsElui
but taking the test is such a piece of cake that why bother to wait? its not like its some incredible challenge or anything? I mean a 5 min drive round the block without killing anyone is fairly do-able
That's true... The place I went to was on a private airfield, so would have had to driven around with a traffic cop with now traffic around me anyway. I suppose it was just more convenient and a great surprise that I didn't have to do that in the end

I know that in KY if you take your tests before you get your green card, then you have to obtain what's called a 'blue letter' first. This means having to go to a different office with proof of Visa, Passport etc., etc., to get permission to take the test. Once you get your blue letter then you can go take the test etc. I just decided to wait for my green card (which lucky for me came within 2 months of getting married and filing AOS). I triple checked in the meantime that my UK License was valid and they said it was! I just had some spare time last week so decided to venture to the driving authority and take my tests. As said before I only had to do the written and vision to my surprise.

In summary do as you please but in my experience I saved some time and effort by waiting for my green card to come first
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in USA

Originally Posted by Norri
Full text is- Non U.S. citizens with B1/B2 "Visitor" or WT status will not be approved for a Kentucky license or ID card. All non U.S. citizens may drive in the U.S. on their valid foreign license and International Permit for up to one year from the date of admission into the U.S. provided their home country is part of the Geneva Compact. Drivers from non Geneva Compact countries must obtain a Kentucky license within 30 days of establishing residency in Kentucky.

http://drlic.kytc.ky.gov/general/general.htm

Out-of-State Drivers
Transferring to Kentucky

Persons moving into Kentucky have 30 days to obtain a Kentucky driver's license.

I'd get the license
Great advice Norri! I can see where there may have been some confusion around the 30 days part. I moved here on a K-1 marriage visa, I would have fallen into the 1 year validity. I still got my license 6 months before my UK would have become 'invalid' though.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajcmals
I triple checked in the meantime that my UK License was valid and they said it was!
I can agree to disagree. But think about this:

As soon as you cease to be a resident in the UK, your UK license is no longer valid.....if it's no longer valid in the locality where it was issued, how is it valid anywhere else?

Over and out.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:17 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

My UK hubby thinks drivers around here are the worst he's ever seen. And he wonders why I've always had road rage.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

At least you don't have to deal with WV drivers.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I can agree to disagree. But think about this:

As soon as you cease to be a resident in the UK, your UK license is no longer valid.....if it's no longer valid in the locality where it was issued, how is it valid anywhere else?

Over and out.
I agree to disagree too, but I just did what the KY folks told me to. So what about when I go back home to England?! Am I legally allowed to drive if I am no longer a redsident (RHETORICAL QUESTION!!! LOL)
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TracyTN
My UK hubby thinks drivers around here are the worst he's ever seen. And he wonders why I've always had road rage.
I agree... I don't feel safe driving here. Any state who's driving test is on a disused airfield is worrying! LOL. I have avoided 3 (not my fault) wrecks in the last few months. My horn gets a GREAT workout
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 5:49 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

If they're worse than Tennessee drivers, then I am VERY afraid!!

I agree... I don't feel safe driving here. Any state who's driving test is on a disused airfield is worrying! LOL. I have avoided 3 (not my fault) wrecks in the last few months. My horn gets a GREAT workout
Well hubby was dreading taking our driving test, and I kept saying, 'But you don't understand - it is a JOKE.' He didn't believe me for whatever reason, but after he took it, he said 'I can't believe that's all people have to do to operate a piece of heavy machinery!' Its just abysmal. I mean I am not the greatest driver in reverse (I never back into spaces, LOL), but even I would not object to something like that being in the test (among other things). It just really is a joke, at least around here.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN
If they're worse than Tennessee drivers, then I am VERY afraid!!

Well hubby was dreading taking our driving test, and I kept saying, 'But you don't understand - it is a JOKE.' He didn't believe me for whatever reason, but after he took it, he said 'I can't believe that's all people have to do to operate a piece of heavy machinery!' Its just abysmal. I mean I am not the greatest driver in reverse (I never back into spaces, LOL), but even I would not object to something like that being in the test (among other things). It just really is a joke, at least around here.
aye, it's harder getting a fork lift license than a car license around here
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 8:25 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Given what I've read on here I'd say the Iowa test is actually hard (relatively speaking). I remember it took at least fifteen minutes and they would mark you down for poor observation (mirrors, looking in junctions, checking blind spots), not parking between the lines when you got back to the test centre and a bunch of other stuff. Still a piece of piss mind.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

So what about when I go back home to England?! Am I legally allowed to drive if I am no longer a redsident (RHETORICAL QUESTION!!! LOL)
There's a school of thought that says that if you rent a car, you really should do it with your US license....else any insurance you buy will be invalid, since your UK license is invalid.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

There's a school of thought that says that if you rent a car, you really should do it with your US license....else any insurance you buy will be invalid, since your UK license is invalid.
Why is your UK licence invalid?
Old Dec 24th 2009, 5:53 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Well, at least they're better that VW drivers...
Old Dec 24th 2009, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Norri
Why is your UK licence invalid?
Because it's only valid if you are a UK resident. Once you cease to become such.....
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

So if I move back I need to take a test?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.