Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in the US

Driving in the US

Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

spiraluk is on a distinguished road
Default Driving in the US

I'm going through the K-1 visa process at the moment before hopefully going off to Ohio to marry my fiance.

My question is how do I stand when it comes to driving over there? Can I apply for a drivers permit before I get Permanent Residence or can I just drive on my UK drivers licence? Or can I just not drive till I get a permit.

Answers much appreciated
Old Jun 4th 2011, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the US

Originally Posted by spiraluk
I'm going through the K-1 visa process at the moment before hopefully going off to Ohio to marry my fiance.

My question is how do I stand when it comes to driving over there? Can I apply for a drivers permit before I get Permanent Residence or can I just drive on my UK drivers licence? Or can I just not drive till I get a permit.

Answers much appreciated
Google "State Name, DMV"

Jim.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Jim, I did that but it still seems unclear to me (I am quite willing to assume I'm a bit thick here lol!).
Its says I can apply once I am a resident (ie I live in Ohio), but when it come to documentation it says USCIS documentation. Does this mean my Green Card or would my fiance visa be enough do you think? All rather confusing tbh
Old Jun 4th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/dl_non_renew...ansferable.stm

You will only be able to get a license that expires on the same date as the I-94 which you receive on entering the US, as I understand that page, so 90 days.

As a K-1 entrant, you will receive a 2-year drivers license on production of the 2-year conditional green card (I-551) matching the expiry date of the green card, and then, when you have removed conditions and get a 10-year green card, you can apply for a 4-year driving license as standard.

That's how I read it anyway - you could put all that into an email to the Ohio BMV for confirmation though.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thats makes it clearer for me. Thanks very much
Old Jun 4th 2011, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
You will only be able to get a license that expires on the same date as the I-94 which you receive on entering the US, as I understand that page, so 90 days.

As a K-1 entrant, you will receive a 2-year drivers license on production of the 2-year conditional green card (I-551) matching the expiry date of the green card, and then, when you have removed conditions and get a 10-year green card, you can apply for a 4-year driving license as standard.

That's how I read it anyway - you could put all that into an email to the Ohio BMV for confirmation though.
All correct.

SpiralUK - what part of Ohio will you be moving to?
Old Jun 5th 2011, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats makes it clearer for me. Thanks very much
Note, however, that you should not expect or assume that the employees at the local DMV office where you go to apply for your license will either know or understand any of this ...
Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You can drive on your UK license for 30 days after becoming resident in Ohio, you will become resident in the states eyes the day you fly over. After that you take your chances with insurance and the cops. They wont be outside your house waiting to arrest you on the 31st day if you haven't got one, but bad things can happen. You don't need a permit and you don't have to show proof of residency for the first part which is the written (computer based) and practical tests. The practical test is a couple of right turns and driving forward and reversing back through some cones, a piece of piss. To get the license you will need to show some documents including proof that you are legally in the country. If they tell you that the receipt for your adjustment of status isn't enough to give you a 4 year license and they want to dick you over by giving you one based on your I-94 or EAD or whatever you have, probably not dated more than a year out, then tell them to call Columbus, which is the head office for Ohio. The AOS receipt is acceptable for a 4 year license in Ohio, I've done it and several people I know have done it but you may have to stand your ground. If they try to give you 2 year license because you are using your conditional 2 year PR card, again tell them to call Columbus. The card may be valid for 2 years, your permanent resident status has no expiry date and you are allowed to get a 4 year license. What is correct and what is written on the DMV website is not always the same.

You may have guessed, I've had many an argument at various Cleveland area DMVs!
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Thats good to know Duncan, thanks.

As to your statement about the cops not being outside the door. My fiance's ex has a brother who is a state trooper, and I really expect to be pulled over by that clown at some point.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You can drive on your UK license for 30 days after becoming resident in Ohio, you will become resident in the states eyes the day you fly over. After that you take your chances with insurance and the cops. They wont be outside your house waiting to arrest you on the 31st day if you haven't got one, but bad things can happen. You don't need a permit and you don't have to show proof of residency for the first part which is the written (computer based) and practical tests. The practical test is a couple of right turns and driving forward and reversing back through some cones, a piece of piss. To get the license you will need to show some documents including proof that you are legally in the country. If they tell you that the receipt for your adjustment of status isn't enough to give you a 4 year license and they want to dick you over by giving you one based on your I-94 or EAD or whatever you have, probably not dated more than a year out, then tell them to call Columbus, which is the head office for Ohio. The AOS receipt is acceptable for a 4 year license in Ohio, I've done it and several people I know have done it but you may have to stand your ground. If they try to give you 2 year license because you are using your conditional 2 year PR card, again tell them to call Columbus. The card may be valid for 2 years, your permanent resident status has no expiry date and you are allowed to get a 4 year license. What is correct and what is written on the DMV website is not always the same.

You may have guessed, I've had many an argument at various Cleveland area DMVs!
The people who work at the Cleveland area DMVs are complete and utter idiots - I always have a problem there as I am not a US citizen (have had a green card for 19 years so I guess it's about time I got my citizenship). Anything out of the ordinary - the DMV clerks just can't seem to handle it! They are clueless!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:01 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

you need to move to Tennessee instead... nobody gives a !@#$ here as long as you have an SSN they will give you a licence and if you have any trouble start speaking spanish!! As far as the test..."a couple of right turns and some reversing!!"... why did they put Duncan Roberts through so much? .... mine was four right turns and park it back in the spot.I must admit when I phoned our DMV and asked how long for a test I really threw them. They told me that it was a bad day so I may have to wait 1.5 hrs.. I replied wow that is quick.. no 9 week wait like back in GB.. the agent asked me if I would come to the centre and repeat that statement loudly in front of all the miserable S O B's they get. I said yes and did! and had a great experience.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

I'll remember that when I phone them up
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I'll remember that when I phone them up
Other than booking your tests, and you might be able to do that online now, you can't do anything on the phone.