Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in the US

Wikiposts

Driving in the US

Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the US

Originally Posted by lisag8070
The first time I drove in US was about 5yrs ago in Tampa, we lived in an apartment complex and was lucky to have a strip mall right next door, anyway one saturday night I thought I'd be brave and drive to pick up the chinese, we had an expidition and I'd been driving it around the complex for weeks getting used to the size and everything, so packed my baby into the back and my brother (over for a hols) jumps in the front and off we went...I only went the way where I made right hand turns so turned right onto main road and then immediately turned right into the strip mall, (all the while telling my bro not to speak or put the radio on as I didn't want any distractions !) so there's a stop sign, so I stop, then start moving again and go a few more yards to the chinese....and yes a cop pulls up behind me and has a go at me telling me I didn't stop at the stop sign for long enough, apparently I paused for only 3 secs and I should of paused for 5 secs no lie, I was stunned, then he spends a good 10 mins checking my UK licence as he'd never seen one before, so I'm stood there red faced while everybody's watching, my chinese is getting cold and my bro is pissing himself laughing, he finally lets me go after another 10 min lecture ......
Needless to say it took me a good 5 months before I tried that again...

There is no set time that you must sit at a stop sign. You complied with the order to stop. Whether or not you sit there for 1 second or 5 seconds is irrelevant......as long as your wheels stop moving that's all you need to worry about.

Reminds me of when I was pulled over for doing 74mph in a 65 zone with a Coach Load of people on, several years ago, by an Illinois State Trooper. As the vehicle had a Speed Limiter set at 68mph, I said to the Cop "Go Ahead and write the ticket for 74mph then. I have a Speed Limiter set at 68mph. As soon as I drop these people off, I'll gladly load the F*****g Thing up with a bunch of your Colleagues and we'll all take a bus ride and we can all take turns at trying to get this thing to go over 70mph.........which is a total waste of time 'cause it ain't going to happen in a month of Sundays. And then we can go to Court and watch the ticket being tossed":curse:

Needless to say he gave my licence back to me, and headed to the nearest Dunkin' Donuts to drown his sorrows.

Nothing against Illinois' finest, but, this guy was a Major Horse's Ass!

Jim (Coach Driver).
Old Sep 1st 2007, 2:32 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick question..as can't remember from when I was in the US ....

Do you have to park the same way you are driving? Just watching a film, and saw cars parked on the same side of the road, facing both ways. It's illegal here, as I found out when I got a ticket when I first arrived

Just curiosity, thanks
Old Sep 1st 2007, 4:56 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
Just a quick question..as can't remember from when I was in the US ....

Do you have to park the same way you are driving? Just watching a film, and saw cars parked on the same side of the road, facing both ways. It's illegal here, as I found out when I got a ticket when I first arrived

Just curiosity, thanks
Yes you have to park facing the direction of travel, at least in California.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 7:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Yes you have to park facing the direction of travel, at least in California.
Same in NJ.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 3:00 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. Snowbunny or Sugarmooma or Toontje or any other Texas residents here, do you know if it's the law in Texas to park in the direction of travel???

I've parked many times on the other side of the road, but seeing as I'm on 90-day probation following my little rear-ender, I'm not keen to get another ticket for something as stupid as that.

And yes, I've Googled it and come up with nothing!
Old Sep 1st 2007, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Hmm. Snowbunny or Sugarmooma or Toontje or any other Texas residents here, do you know if it's the law in Texas to park in the direction of travel???

I've parked many times on the other side of the road, but seeing as I'm on 90-day probation following my little rear-ender, I'm not keen to get another ticket for something as stupid as that.

And yes, I've Googled it and come up with nothing!
There's usually a driver's handbook for the state which you could check online?

P.S. Love the Spaghetti Monster