Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in the US

Wikiposts

Driving in the US

Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:00 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving in the US

I arrived in Houston after a delayed 26 hours journey. It was 2 a.m. I had only ever driven in the UK, Kos, and Cyprus before.
I jumped in to a bright orange Ford Mustang convertible and left George Bush Intercontinental Airport feeling tired and stressed.
The roads were wider, marked differently and signs were confusing (ie Freeway signs did not necessarily hang over the lane they related to).
I encountered my first ever flashing red traffic light - WTF! I had no idea what it meant; luckily at 3am nobody was there to give a hoot.
I arrived at my hotel at 3:30am, not before almost missing the hotel and quickly jumping off the freeway. In my haste I exited, and looked the wrong way (well, the right way if your British) to check for traffic. I pulled straight in front of a car doing 50mph! Figuring I could avoid an accident by accelerating I stabbed the accelerator to the floor and roared off - only to find the car I cut up was a pissed off cop who had been about to pass me and was now left in my dust trail. Lights flash, choice words are screamed at me (AT GUNPOINT - "driver, exit the vehicle. driver let me see your hands etc" all very scary). After explaining my lack of US driving experience the cop lightened up and joked with me. He wrote up a simple warning, shook my hand and wished me on my way.
So my first driving experience was unforgettable

Originally Posted by Okuda
How was your first time driving in the US?

Was you nervous, was it confusing for you, did you nearly, or did have an accident? Did you get used to it quickly? Did you have problems when you traveled back to England and needed to drive there?

Do you have any tips/suggestions that helped you get used to the American way of driving?

I've been driving in England for 8 years ~ But the concept of driving over here just puts the fear of God in me. It's silly really because I know *how* to drive, it's just I still have a number of those "Stomp your foot in the passenger foot well breaking moments" in my Husbands car when he is driving because of the other cars coming the "wrong way" at me!

I just have a fear that if I was let loose on my own here, I'd have one of those stomping moments and cause an accident. I think I may go to a drivers school for some lessons here with someone experienced.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pony
(ie Freeway signs did not necessarily hang over the lane they related to).

Jeepers that's so scary when they bawl at you

I still get confused expecting the signs to hang over the lane.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Driving here's pretty easy I think driving on the 'wrong' side of the road is not much of a problem. But I hate trying to get on the highway other drivers don't pull over and they don't slow down, it's every man for himself out there

I don't have sat nav, and I got lost in a dodgy part of Harrisburg the other day after dropping someone at the train station, that was a bit hairy.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Okuda
How was your first time driving in the US?

Was you nervous, was it confusing for you, did you nearly, or did have an accident? Did you get used to it quickly? Did you have problems when you traveled back to England and needed to drive there?

Do you have any tips/suggestions that helped you get used to the American way of driving?

I've been driving in England for 8 years ~ But the concept of driving over here just puts the fear of God in me. It's silly really because I know *how* to drive, it's just I still have a number of those "Stomp your foot in the passenger foot well breaking moments" in my Husbands car when he is driving because of the other cars coming the "wrong way" at me!

I just have a fear that if I was let loose on my own here, I'd have one of those stomping moments and cause an accident. I think I may go to a drivers school for some lessons here with someone experienced.
I'd never driven on the right before when I first drove here about 15 yrs ago. I didn't really give it a great deal of thought...just got in and drove. The more you think about it the worse you make it for yourself IMHO.

Driving on the left when I go back to England is second nature...again I don't think about it. Good luck.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Okuda will become famous soon enoughOkuda will become famous soon enough

haha thanks for all the horror stories!!

I think it's just going to be a case of taking a deep breath and going with it and stay out the sight of any cops!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:28 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Actually I've already been rear-ended three times
This is the "Driving in the US" thread Sally, I think you meant to reply to something in TIO perhaps?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:27 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

I've only had to drive once over there when I was last on a visit. I pulled out of a junction, turned right, and casually just moved across to the left of the road and drove on. It took a few moments to realise what was wrong, and after that I decided I need to stop before another car or a cop came by.

I'm terrified of having to drive over there on my own. British roads don't bother me at all, but it's the whole getting used to being on the other side of the car, not necessarily the road.

Parking is the main thing I am not looking forward to. They have parking lots where each space is at a 45 degree angle to the through lanes, not 90 degrees like we have. I hate, and just can't do forward parking at 90 degrees here, I always reverse in. I am not going to be able to do that there, I'll have to swing the car into the space, and I am pretty sure I'll clip something within the first trip to Walmart.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:31 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight
I've only had to drive once over there when I was last on a visit. I pulled out of a junction, turned right, and casually just moved across to the left of the road and drove on. It took a few moments to realise what was wrong, and after that I decided I need to stop before another car or a cop came by.

I'm terrified of having to drive over there on my own. British roads don't bother me at all, but it's the whole getting used to being on the other side of the car, not necessarily the road.

Parking is the main thing I am not looking forward to. They have parking lots where each space is at a 45 degree angle to the through lanes, not 90 degrees like we have. I hate, and just can't do forward parking at 90 degrees here, I always reverse in. I am not going to be able to do that there, I'll have to swing the car into the space, and I am pretty sure I'll clip something within the first trip to Walmart.
Your main concern is pulling into parking spots? Are you driving a big vehicle?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:35 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Your main concern is pulling into parking spots? Are you driving a big vehicle?
No, well, I drive a small car here in the UK, and the OH has some saloon type toyta thing over there, and eventually I'll get a jeep or a truck. I just cannot drive forward into a space when I have to turn like that, but maybe with it only being 45° it won't be so bad.

I'll go to the very far end of the parking lot where no one else parks, and attempt it a few times. Probably just stay there and walk to the doors too!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:59 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

DH does not have his license yet, never had one in the UK, however he must get one here full stop, it makes no sense for him not to. He's been here 4 years, so has had the opportunity to sit back and observe and learn routes etc.
Well we've been doing some practice driving around our development and it tickles me because he said he is comfortable making left turns instead of right ones. Now why the difference I don't know???
Old Aug 28th 2007, 4:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
DH does not have his license yet, never had one in the UK, however he must get one here full stop, it makes no sense for him not to. He's been here 4 years, so has had the opportunity to sit back and observe and learn routes etc.
Well we've been doing some practice driving around our development and it tickles me because he said he is comfortable making left turns instead of right ones. Now why the difference I don't know???

I didn't drive either in the UK. I knew I would have to when we moved to Texas and decided to go for it as soon as I could when we arrived...this was almost 20 years ago now. I did the written test the first week we arrived and every evening the OH arrived home from work I would drive around for an hour or two with him to get used to the roads and the different signs and lights etc. I took my driving test a few weeks later, passed, and have enjoyed driving ever since!

We had a very old chevvy Caprice, that car was huge but also very comfortable and I alway parked it way out in any parking lots as I was scared of hitting something. It seemed so wide!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:00 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
This is the "Driving in the US" thread Sally, I think you meant to reply to something in TIO perhaps?
Oops!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Driving is simple here. In fact, its so easy, feel free to completely switch off - cars just about drive themselves nowadays, don't they? Don't worry about the other people on the road - it's your road and you own it. If someone is in your way, just violently swerve around them. If someone is behind you and wanting to get past, just make sure you hog your lane and make them wait. Never ever indicate or use your mirror either.

Instead of concentrating on driving, use your time on the road to get all those time consuming chores done, such as eating breakfast and drinking massive mugs of coffee. Do your hair and put your make up on, too. One thing you absolutely must do is talk on your cell phone from the second you leave home until the second you get to your destination.

Finally, at night, make sure you drive to your favourite bar and valet park. Its really handy, valet parking, because after drinking 10 bottles of beer, who can walk all that way to where you parked? That nice valet chap will go and fetch your car, and for an extra tip, will help you into your seat and send you on your merry way home.

Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:25 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Driving is simple here. In fact, its so easy, feel free to completely switch off - cars just about drive themselves nowadays, don't they? Don't worry about the other people on the road - it's your road and you own it. If someone is in your way, just violently swerve around them. If someone is behind you and wanting to get past, just make sure you hog your lane and make them wait. Never ever indicate or use your mirror either.

Instead of concentrating on driving, use your time on the road to get all those time consuming chores done, such as eating breakfast and drinking massive mugs of coffee. Do your hair and put your make up on, too. One thing you absolutely must do is talk on your cell phone from the second you leave home until the second you get to your destination.

Finally, at night, make sure you drive to your favourite bar and valet park. Its really handy, valet parking, because after drinking 10 bottles of beer, who can walk all that way to where you parked? That nice valet chap will go and fetch your car, and for an extra tip, will help you into your seat and send you on your merry way home.

Ah, yes. American attitudes to drink driving are a hoot.

EVERYBODY I know drives to the bars. It's insane. As long as you're sober enough to stand up, you're sober enough to drive. Unless you get pulled over.

Everybody thinks I'm nuts when I get a taxi if I'm having a couple of beers.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:45 am
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

I was definitely nervous the first time I drove over here...and it took a long time to feel more relaxed about driving on the right. Having said that, I've never really liked driving anyhow even in the U.K., guess it's just a bit of a phobia for me. I have to drive here though, don't have a choice (need to drop daughter off at daycare and then get to work). I live in Seattle and drivers aren't as mad here as in other places (or so they say). You could always take a "refresher" driving course over here if you have worries.

Naomi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.