Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in the US?

Driving in the US?

Old May 5th 2005, 8:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the US?

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
You won't fail.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to fail a US driving test.

Trust me!
It took my hubby 4 attempts to pass the written portion of the test, and that was even in his native language! He just freezes at test time. He finally passed, got his learner's permit, and has taken some behind-the-wheel lessons. Hopefully he'll take the road test soon and get the license!

Rene
Old May 5th 2005, 8:20 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Can never understand why there’s reluctance by immigrants to get a US license! Get one as soon as possible since it’s used all the time as your primary ID and will start your US driving history rolling.

If a broker tells you s/he can take your foreign driving history into account, they are most probably BS-ing you and you should walk. As a driving baby in the US, you are going to take a hit on high insurance rates. You should possibly consider buying an older, cheaper car for the first couple of years to save on the coverage required. In addition, you should get your credit history rolling as soon as possible since a good credit score will secure the best rates down the line.
I procrastinated plain & simple. I didnt fear the test just the thought of being on a learners permit again after all these years. I love my independence & having lost it for the last couple of months has been harder than I ever imagined it would be. Still at least I finally went ahead with it & this time next week I shall be a fully licensed driver again & one very happy lady to have my independence back again!!
Old May 5th 2005, 8:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
I procrastinated plain & simple. I didnt fear the test just the thought of being on a learners permit again after all these years. I love my independence & having lost it for the last couple of months has been harder than I ever imagined it would be. Still at least I finally went ahead with it & this time next week I shall be a fully licensed driver again & one very happy lady to have my independence back again!!
Dunno how you ever managed without it! I must admit that I occasionally give the poor Walmart cashier one of my stock of non-English licenses just to see his/her reaction when she challenges you for ID after running the AMEX through the reader. Last time I gave one of these (not written in English but obviously a driving license), she said "Oh, you're a long way from Texas, aren’t you?" I replied that it was further than that, across the seas even. She looked at me for a moment and then declared, "Well, you know, I've never seen a Canadian license before."

Apart from times requiring non-drug stimulated amusement, it's much easier to use a local license to blend in.
Old May 5th 2005, 8:55 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>Last time I gave one of these (not written in English but obviously a driving license), she said "Oh, you're a long way from Texas, aren’t you?" I replied that it was further than that, across the seas even. She looked at me for a moment and then declared, "Well, you know, I've never seen a Canadian license before."<<snip>>
Are you sure she wasn't winding you up?

NC Penguin
Old May 5th 2005, 8:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Are you sure she wasn't winding you up?

NC Penguin

Positive. And the license was in Cyrillic!
Old May 5th 2005, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Positive. And the license was in Cyrillic!
You can have a bit of fun with a UK 'Euro' one, just wish I had not lost my original paper one.
Old May 5th 2005, 9:06 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

DLast time I gave one of these (not written in English but obviously a driving license), she said "Oh, you're a long way from Texas, aren’t you?" I replied that it was further than that, across the seas even. She looked at me for a moment and then declared, "Well, you know, I've never seen a Canadian license before."
C'mon - you are making this up!

Or did this really happen in Mississippi and you're just substituting Texas because Mississippi would be too obvious?
Old May 5th 2005, 9:07 pm
Septicity

C'mon - you are making this up!

Or did this really happen in Mississippi and you're just substituting Texas because Mississippi would be too obvious?

Nope, not making it up. I live in Arizona, BTW.
Old May 5th 2005, 9:14 pm
Guest21

You won't fail.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to fail a US driving test.

Trust me!
Right then I will let you know when I pass, and Boiler those walls just see to appear from nowhere lol.
Whiskers

Old May 5th 2005, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by whiskers
Right then I will let you know when I pass, and Boiler those walls just see to appear from nowhere lol.
Whiskers
Just reminds me of a girl I used to work with a long time ago, she wrote the car off on her test, the Examiner did not pass her as she had not completed the test rather than she had failed it, he did not blame her for the incident.
Old May 6th 2005, 12:43 am
Just Joined

Wifey is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for fun... First time "just visiting" the US, my now husband got carded for beer at the local grocery. They didn't know quite what to make of his UK Driving license!

More seriously, I don't think there's a way of avoiding the insurance evils of being a new driver... Our joint insurance ends up actually being less because of the "married driver" deduction, plus the fact that he, unlike me, has no accidents on his record.

So, maybe getting on the spouse's insurance won't be TOO bad? Check with that first and then go shopping.
Old May 6th 2005, 1:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wifey
Just for fun... First time "just visiting" the US, my now husband got carded for beer at the local grocery. They didn't know quite what to make of his UK Driving license!

More seriously, I don't think there's a way of avoiding the insurance evils of being a new driver... Our joint insurance ends up actually being less because of the "married driver" deduction, plus the fact that he, unlike me, has no accidents on his record.

So, maybe getting on the spouse's insurance won't be TOO bad? Check with that first and then go shopping.
Ours was no problem either, makes a big difference if you are just being added to an existing policy rather than both starting from scratch.

To be fair it seems better coming this way than it would the other.
Old May 6th 2005, 2:46 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Boiler]Ours was no problem either, makes a big difference if you are just being added to an existing policy rather than both starting from scratch.

Well thats good to know. We have two vehicles so it will be interesting to see which will be the cheaper for me to be listed as the primary driver then. Just hope it doesnt alter the premium to much because I think they are expensive enough as it is. Insurance in NZ was way lower than it is here & I hear that its expensive in the UK too.