Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving on UK license in MA

Driving on UK license in MA

Old Nov 1st 2014, 6:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving on UK license in MA

Originally Posted by tbooth
....., nor do I imagine that any cop knows that!
Quite. It usually appears that the overriding requirement is to be able to show you are using your best endeavours to get a local license as soon as possible and annecdotally, it appears that the police are usually understanding so long as you are "in the system" towards getting your license ASA reasonably P.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Quite. It usually appears that the overriding requirement is to be able to show you are using your best endeavours to get a local license as soon as possible and annecdotally, it appears that the police are usually understanding so long as you are "in the system" towards getting your license ASA reasonably P.
I couldn't.get insurance or a car loan without a local licence either.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just completed this dance, in MA.

1) we purchased a car and could get insurance (geico) using our UK licenses. The premium is on the high end though, because of the out-of-country license.

2) Studied the RMV manual. You can't wing the theory test -- it asks about the fines and suspension periods for random offences. The online example tests mislead you into thinking that's not going to be asked.

3) Took the MA theory test to get a learners permit. This does ask for your out-of-country driving license info. I think this avoids having to do the whole drivers-ed course and show log of driving lessons etc at road test time.

4) Booked road test. The soonest we could get one was 6 weeks after we got the learners permit. We're in Boston, but took the test at Milford as closer in was impossible to book. It's completely impossible to fulfil the 30 day requirement.

5) Took a driving lesson to get instruction on how to pass the road test. This imparted useful information.

6) Found a local friend to be a sponsor, which you need to take the road test. They accompany you on the test. The sponsor must be an MA resident over 21 with an MA license for at least a year.

7) Turned up to road test with vehicle with handbrake that can be operated by passenger. A necessary requirement (you also need to disable navigation, parking sensors etc). Must have vehcle registry doc (but you need that in the vehicle anyway).

8) Road test itself was fairly straight forward. Needed to
a) know hand signals
b) how to park on a hill
c) demonstrate parallel park behgind another vehicle (but not between vehicles)
d) demonstrate 3 point turn
e) demonstrate reverse in straight line

It took about 15 minutes.

At no point did I have to show my UK license -- so no danger of it being hole punched.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 3:47 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

However, subsequently, I've been informed (I think on this forum) that the actual period is 60 days, but I can't find a reference to that anywhere, nor do I imagine that any cop knows that!
The cops - in keeping with their usual tradition - know nothing about this. I asked numerous different cops when I moved here and none gave me the correct answer. The correct answer, after reading the MGL is:

Section 10, Chapter 90. Operating without being licensed.

Statutory exceptions. General Laws c. 90, ยง 10 contains seven exceptions to the requirement of a Massachusetts license: (1) a person who is licensed in another state or country, has applied for a Massachusetts license but has not yet been given a drivers test, and has been issued a 60-day temporar permit by the Registry of Motor Vehicles;

So, in a nutshell: get your learners permit. You are then perfectly permitted to continue to drive on your UK DL until you take the MA road test in <= 60 days.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Nov 6th 2014 at 3:52 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 3:51 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
I couldn't.get insurance or a car loan without a local licence either.
I got both, without any issues using my UK DL. The only thing I couldn't use my UK DL for was to pass the silly TSA inspection points at the airport. Had to provide my MA DL instead.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikadett
US law says that you can drive 12 months from your entry into the country on your foreign license.
Driving license laws are controlled by the states.

Massachusetts RMV says though that I have to get my MA license upon residency, but I can't see any time frame?
Like I said, controlled by the state. You just stated the timeline - "upon residency". So as soon as you become a resident, start working on getting a MA license.

Massachusetts RMV - Converting an Out-of-State License

"If you have recently moved to Massachusetts, you must obtain a valid Massachusetts license upon becoming a resident."

Is this another stupid US law were it is at the discretion of an officer who pulls you over?
No - it's the law of MA and other states that residents obtain a state driving license. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle by getting a MA license. Remember that you might be stopped by any of several levels of police depts (city, county, state etc) inside or outside MA.

I'm only going to be here for 12 months and don't want to have to get my MA license.
With all due respect, no-one cares what you want. Abide by the law or suffer the consequences. In addition to driving itself, you will find your MA license useful for other things like ID, proving address, etc.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 4:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
With all due respect, no-one cares what you want. Abide by the law or suffer the consequences. In addition to driving itself, you will find your MA license useful for other things like ID, proving address, etc.
I find it most useful for using when driving in England
Old Nov 7th 2014, 4:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I find it most useful for using when driving in England. ....
A US state license is, in deed, most useful for that purpose.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 4:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I find it most useful for using when driving in England
Buying booze....it's very useful for that...
Old Nov 7th 2014, 5:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Buying booze....it's very useful for that...
That's the wife's job
Old Nov 7th 2014, 6:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's the wife's job
Along with scraping the ice off the car windows?
Old Nov 7th 2014, 6:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Along with scraping the ice off the car windows?
I was thinking more snow blowing the drive way lol
Old Nov 7th 2014, 7:18 pm

I was thinking more snow blowing the drive way. ....
So anything that involves something with handles, that she can push around. I hear that's her area of expertise.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 7:26 pm
Banned

However, subsequently, I've been informed (I think on this forum) that the actual period is 60 days, but I can't find a reference to that anywhere, nor do I imagine that any cop knows that!
It isn't a blank 60 days. The requisite is that you have obtained your provisional licence THEN you have 60 days from which you can drive on your international licence.

I've repeated this and cited the MGL law countless times. Getting bored repeating it now to be honest.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Driving license laws are controlled by the states.

Like I said, controlled by the state. You just stated the timeline - "upon residency". So as soon as you become a resident, start working on getting a MA license.

Massachusetts RMV - Converting an Out-of-State License

"If you have recently moved to Massachusetts, you must obtain a valid Massachusetts license upon becoming a resident."

No - it's the law of MA and other states that residents obtain a state driving license. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle by getting a MA license. Remember that you might be stopped by any of several levels of police depts (city, county, state etc) inside or outside MA.

So it is useful as well for photo ID when asked for by the numerous authorities that request it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.