Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving on a UK driving licence in the US

Driving on a UK driving licence in the US

Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Brync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving on a UK driving licence in the US

Originally Posted by likelylad32
Could anyone help me please.
I have recently moved to MI and I am awaiting my Green card, they tell me I should have it within 30 days. Once I have this I can apply for a MI state licence. The Secretary of State has told me I need this to get my licence. In the meantime I have been told I am ok to drive on my UK licence. Does anyone know how long I can do this for?
Just a quick point. When I moved to the States (Arkansas) I was told that I could initially use my UK license. On the back of this I bought a car and then 3 days later got a panic phone call from my insurance broker telling me that the insurace company wouldn't give me full cover until I got a US license. This may be worth checking into if you do try to drive on a UK license....

All the best
Old Jan 6th 2009, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

likelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nice

Thanks for all you advise. I have been back to the secretary of state and they have informed me that without my green card (which is in the post they tell me) I cannot get a license. Eventhough I have my SSN and and had my passport stamped on the same page as my immigrant visa I-551. They still would not tell me how long I can drive on my UK license for all they kept telling me was that it was ok.
So for now I'll try to drive as little as possible and pray the card turns up very very soon.

Thank you for all your help

Andy
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

You did not go back to the 'secretary of state'.

Whoever told you that is talking crap. The stamped visa in your passport is the legal equivalent of the green card, until it expires one year after you enter the US, by which time you will have your actual green card.

Call the DMV/BMV for the state you want the license in and they will tell you exactly that.

We have told you this several times in this thread. Please accept it and explain this to the people who should know thier own job but perhaps don't.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

likelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
You did not go back to the 'secretary of state'.

Whoever told you that is talking crap. The stamped visa in your passport is the legal equivalent of the green card, until it expires one year after you enter the US, by which time you will have your actual green card.

Call the DMV/BMV for the state you want the license in and they will tell you exactly that.

We have told you this several times in this thread. Please accept it and explain this to the people who should know thier own job but perhaps don't.
Where do you get off speaking to people like that. How dare you insinuate that I am a liar. You think you'er the knowledge of all knowledge? Well did you realise there is NO DMV in Michigan, you rude little man that is why I went to the Secretary of State. If you felt something as strongly as you did when you read my thread you didn't have to reply or even comment. Most grownups have the ability to ignore but I suppose you have yet to grow up.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:10 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Let's make it simple.
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=michigan+dmv

There, can we all stop bickering now?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by likelylad32
a) Where do you get off speaking to people like that. How dare you insinuate that I am a liar. You think you'er the knowledge of all knowledge?

b) Well did you realise there is NO DMV in Michigan
a) Why don't you chill instead of spouting nonesense.

b) http://www.onlinedmv.com/MI_Michigan...r_vehicles.htm

Don't tell me I don't know anything when you clearly aren't able to even use google effectively.

My earlier comment stands, the stamped visa IS an I-551, if whoever you spoke to doesn't know that then that's their problem, not yours. Enough of us here on BE from states all over the US have had to explain to the DMV/BMV what their own job is with respect to this exact point. You can either do that, or continue to fret and wait for you actual green card. The choice is yours.

Over and out.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

To be fair that link is just the Michigan Department of State - they are the equivalent of the DMV for Michigan
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's right, department of state.....the secretary of state is a person.....and I imagine he's quite difficult to get an audience with.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

That's right, department of state.....the secretary of state is a person.....and I imagine he's quite difficult to get an audience with.
But when you go to the contact link - it says "Contact the Secretary of State"
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

...and do you imagine that he/she replies to each email personally. I know where you are coming from.....it's just pendantics really.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

...and do you imagine that he/she replies to each email personally. I know where you are coming from.....it's just pendantics really.
Yeah I know, I was just standing up for a newbie. He got jumped on for saying there was no DMV in Michigan and he contacted the Secretary of State which I didn't think was fair considering he was right.