Reload this Page >

Driving Tests?

Driving Tests?

Old Aug 10th 2004, 7:15 pm
No Spam

Default Re: Driving Tests?

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:21:16 +0000, Alistair
<member18898@british_expats.com> wrote:

>That's pretty weird - moving from another state they had to take the road test - I moved from UK and didn't need to...
    >Maybe they just caught the MVC people on a bad day? Last time I went in they told me that I just needed to fill out
    >a state-to-state transfer form, as England is a state...

Well, they're as confused as you then! When I last looked, it was a
UK driving licence and not an "English" one.

Old Aug 10th 2004, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Alistair is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by No Spam
Well, they're as confused as you then! When I last looked, it was a UK driving licence and not an "English" one.
Oh, well done on picking up on the important point. If you really want to be pedantic (and it seems you do) it is a European licence. You will have to forgive me for being proud of my English heritage, and thinking of myself as English rather than European or British.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alistair
That's pretty weird - moving from another state they had to take the road test - I moved from UK and didn't need to... Maybe they just caught the MVC people on a bad day? Last time I went in they told me that I just needed to fill out a state-to-state transfer form, as England is a state...

When did England become a State or are you using your English humour?

I doubt they caught anyone in on a bad day. This didn't happen yesterday, I grant you, but neither my sister nor brother-in-law were new drivers and yes, they had to take both the written and driving test.

Rete
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Darkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly here in PA I had to take the knowledge and vision test, and I am scheduled to do my road test the 12th of august.

They wouldn't just trade in my european license for a PA non commercial
Old Aug 11th 2004, 2:30 am
No Spam

Default OT - was Re: Driving Tests?

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:56:35 +0000, Alistair

>Oh, well done on picking up on the important point. If you really want
    >to be pedantic (and it seems you do) it is a European licence. You
    >will have to forgive me for being proud of my English heritage, and
    >thinking of myself as English rather than European or British.

If you're so proud of it then why use the "European" driving licence
and a "UK" (European community) passport? Aren't you being two-faced
(by your logic)? You're probably the kind of person who thinks
England doesn't need anyone else and should go it alone in the world,
bring back the Empire and smash those impudent Colonists (USA) back
into the fold. What a joke.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Alistair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT - was Re: Driving Tests?

I don't have a clue what your problem is. I moved to America, I married an American, who will be having our American child in a few months, and I was talking about my experiences trying to get a NJ state driving license to replace my old licence. As soon as I am able to apply for an American passport, I will do so. The point about England came up because I spoke to someone at the MVC who asked where I was moving from, and I replied England. He then replied that since England was a state I only needed to apply for a state-to-state license transfer. The man was an idiot, and I found it amusing.

My wife calls herself Italian American even though no living member of her family has even been to Italy. I have friends here who have their roots in Italy, Ireland, Hungary, Scotland, Germany... I think it is perfectly acceptable for them to be proud of their heritage even though they have no idea what it is like to live in those places. I lived in England for 30 years, so I think I have every right to take pride in where I am from, and I will continue to do so, whether idiots on message boards think I am two-faced or not.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 4:05 pm
No Spam

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:46:06 +0000, Alistair
    >I don't have a clue what your problem is. I moved to America, I
    >married an American, who will be having our American child in a few
    >months, and I was talking about my experiences trying to get a NJ state
    >driving license to replace my old licence. As soon as I am able to
    >apply for an American passport, I will do so. The point about England
    >came up because I spoke to someone at the MVC who asked where I was
    >moving from, and I replied England. He then replied that since England
    >was a state I only needed to apply for a state-to-state license
    >transfer. The man was an idiot, and I found it amusing.
    >My wife calls herself Italian American even though no living member of
    >her family has even been to Italy. I have friends here who have their
    >roots in Italy, Ireland, Hungary, Scotland, Germany... I think it is
    >perfectly acceptable for them to be proud of their heritage even though
    >they have no idea what it is like to live in those places. I lived in
    >England for 30 years, so I think I have every right to take pride in
    >where I am from, and I will continue to do so, whether idiots on message
    >boards think I am two-faced or not.

Actually Alistair, I think you're a dick. When you travel to a
different country on a UK/European passport, then you are from the UK.
Being proud of your heritage is absolutely fine. When dealing with
legal matters though, don't you think you should be giving the best
and honest answer? England voted itself into becoming Great Britain
297 years ago when it joined with Scotland. As it's evolved into the
United Kingdom there still seems to be morons like you who don't seem
to realise the difference between legalities and sentimentalities.
I'm not sure why you mentioned your wife - does she have an
Italian/European passport and tells Government authorities that she's
Italian???

BTW - this is a newsgroup. It just so happens that the BRITISH expats
message board has linked onto it.

Old Oct 9th 2004, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Help is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to all

Ok back to the driving ...

I tried to obtian a license last week and the woman at the desk could not even undrestand the old british license as she kept on asking where is the picture , while she was looking up her reference book..
Had to take a test (and wooops failed) so now going to try again
Got a letter in the post from the mvc that they were gonna suspend my license do my I94 ...
Did i not bring all the information they needed so they can see i am on a k1...
well lets see what this weekend brings i will update you all
Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Help

I tried to obtian a license last week and the woman at the desk could not even undrestand the old british license as she kept on asking where is the picture , while she was looking up her reference book..
Got a letter in the post from the mvc that they were gonna suspend my license do my I94 ...
Well you are not on a K1, that expired a long time ago.

Likely that the EAD will suffice and that you will get a license that will expire at the same time.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 4:18 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Again, this varies state to state. In Arizona, a K-1 entry can get a license by showing the 90-day temp. EAD. After that, they do accept the NOA for the EAD as proof, if you haven't gotten the 1-year OR the interim yet.

Rene
Ok, i dont get it... why do they require an Employment Authorization Document to be able to get a driver's license??!! I could understand if they wanted to see the AOS NOA, but what has the EAD got to do with driving? Hypothetically, what if someone didnt need an EAD and was just going to wait for the GC... they couldn't get a driver's license until then. Hmmm. Maybe there is some other way around it that hasnt been mentioned because showing the EAD works?

I know, here i go thinking too much again! At least i seem to be in good company!

Marnee
Old Oct 9th 2004, 4:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
Ok, i dont get it... why do they require an Employment Authorization Document to be able to get a driver's license??!! I could understand if they wanted to see the AOS NOA, but what has the EAD got to do with driving? Hypothetically, what if someone didnt need an EAD and was just going to wait for the GC... they couldn't get a driver's license until then. Hmmm. Maybe there is some other way around it that hasnt been mentioned because showing the EAD works?

I know, here i go thinking too much again! At least i seem to be in good company!

Marnee
Hi Marnee!

I know, isn't that weird? They base it on the EAD until PR is done. I recently read another thread with just that same issue you mentioned. The alien wife was not planning to work and thus did not apply for EAD....and she is having trouble getting a driver license! It seems after all, she needs to have the EAD just for that particular reason! Go figure!

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2004, 4:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan

Marnee
Because the EAD shows that you have status until a given date, the AOS NOA just shows that you are adjusting status.

Not sure what else would work, well not here in CO anyway. The AP might but then no need to apply for that as well. They wanted an extended I94 otherwise!
Old Oct 9th 2004, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Help is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to all

so if i am not on a K1 what am i on now just out of intrest
Old Oct 9th 2004, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:56:35 +0000, Alistair

>Oh, well done on picking up on the important point. If you really want
    >to be pedantic (and it seems you do) it is a European licence. You
    >will have to forgive me for being proud of my English heritage, and
    >thinking of myself as English rather than European or British.

I know this is off topic, but where are you from???

Would you have the same problem with someone that is from Scotland refering to themselves as Scottish...or some one from Wales saying they are Welsh????

As you are aware there are 4 different nationalities that use the UK passport, those I mentioned as well as the ppl from Northern Ireland and of course ENGLAND!

Whenever anyone asks me where I am from I always say ENGLAND...and I am damn proud to be ENGLISH!

By they way there are a lot of different nationalities in the european community....don't lump everyone in with each other...you are going to piss off a lot of people that don't normally get pissed...but I would think they would make an exception in your case...I know I DID!
Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

so if i am not on a K1 what am i on now just out of intrest
WEll the K1 is a Vusa that allows you to enter once, so is "used up" when you enter.

So your staus for the next 90 days would be K1, once you have married and filed for AoS your status would be "Adjusting Status"

Now from the DMV point of view they just want to make sure that you have some sort of staus to be here and if it is not permanent then they need a date to issue your license to. The I94 has a date, 90 days after you entered, if you came in on another Visa type then it would be differant.

In Colorado you have to apply for a CO license after 90 days, the stupid thing is that a K1 would be acceptable evidence but will have run out - Catch 22.

Status as defined by USCIS and any other Gov agency are unlikely to be the same, if they are just coincidence!

And on the other nationality issue there are more than 4 that qualify for a UK passport, lot more, plus the combinations of course - anglo welsh myself but it is just easier saying English, I have an Engluish accent aka "Foreign Accent" here. As most seems to theink I am Australian no need to complicate matters further.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.