Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Test Question?

Driving Test Question?

Old Mar 10th 2005, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Test Question?

I went out of my way to take my test in Mesa instead of Scottsdale, because they don't test you on Parrallel parking. All I had to do was a three point turn.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 6:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Maybe he just forgot to take his Ritalin that day

For those Expats that have been driving for a while, the written part is mostly common sense with some law thrown in.
naaa...he was probably as thick as shi....anyway...special

But yeah, theory test is a bugger for the penalty points and drink laws, but that's about it...was a doddle really though.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 6:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Maybe he just forgot to take his Ritalin that day

For those Expats that have been driving for a while, the written part is mostly common sense with some law thrown in.
It really is mostly common sense. Just make sure you know the obvious abbreviations.

I got two wrong - one because I didn't know what CHP stood for...
Old Mar 10th 2005, 6:43 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I had to parallel park for my test here in MD - I'd never done it before in my life, (took my original driving test in Cyprus, not the UK) and managed it well enough.

I just can't believe that they test kids on these closed courses - that shows driving skills how?

No wonder people around here can't drive properly...
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to all of you have replied! It's kind of put my mind at rest - if I passed the UK driving test first time, then I should be able to pass the US driving test.

I seem to remember that my UK test lasted about 45 minutes; reversing round a corner and a three point turn didn't cause me a problem, but if they had asked me to parallel park I would have failed!

Rincewind: Am I glad to hear that I'm not the only one who can't parallel park!

Fatbrit: Thanks for the link - I just tried it - and failed miserably. Off now to have another go ....
Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

TheWilliamsons is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Driving Test Question?

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Thank you to all of you have replied! It's kind of put my mind at rest - if I passed the UK driving test first time, then I should be able to pass the US driving test.

I seem to remember that my UK test lasted about 45 minutes; reversing round a corner and a three point turn didn't cause me a problem, but if they had asked me to parallel park I would have failed!

Fatbrit: Thanks for the link - I just tried it - and failed miserably. Off now to have another go ....
Myself and my hubby have to take our tests in Florida and we both passed first time in the UK in the same year and its my mission not to let him beat me LOL I just have this fear that he will so Im reading all the books I can secretly just so he doesnt get the edge, well I thought I was being cleaver until I found him reading in secret LOL. So I guess I have him worried
Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose

I failed my UK driving test 3 times! Slight problem with not seeing little old ladies, they have this habit of jumping out in front of me

Anyway, i took my test in Delaware and as soon as the tester found out i had a UK license he just asked me to reverse for about 5 meters and do a parallel park. I managed the reverse but hit the curb on the parking.......he still passed me though I think it has to be really really awful for them to fail you on it.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScyLarc
I think it has to be really really awful for them to fail you on it.
no pressure then Guelder Rose
Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Eskimo
no pressure then Guelder Rose

oooops - sorry (keeps fingers crossed for Guelder Rose)
Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:43 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I have a UK HGV licence and decided to get a US CDL equivalent so I could "do a few runs" in the summer to be paid to see somemore of the country.
I was slightly bemused to find that prospective truck drivers have to learn all the mechanics and workings of the air brake system of tractor/trailors to get a NY CDL.
I thought just knowing where the brake was and when to use it was the important factor.