Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Test

Driving Test

Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which immigration process is for me?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Once drove from Des Moines up into Minnesota cross country. Flat as a pancake and not a curve in sight. Just endless fields of wheat and amusing statues outside each little identikit town relating to its name.
According to hubby who is Canadian, it is the same when driving through the prairies in Canada. Long, straight, flat and boring.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Dotterelly has a reputation beyond reputeDotterelly has a reputation beyond reputeDotterelly has a reputation beyond reputeDotterelly has a reputation beyond reputeDotterelly has a reputation beyond reputeDotterelly has a reputation beyond reputeDotterelly has a reputation beyond reputeDotterelly has a reputation beyond reputeDotterelly has a reputation beyond reputeDotterelly has a reputation beyond reputeDotterelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Test

It's interesting, I was expecting to find the terrain in Iowa boring too - everyone says it is - but I actually kinda liked it. Horizons as far as you can see and gently undulating land that makes me feel like I'm sailing out in the middle of an ocean.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotterelly
It's interesting, I was expecting to find the terrain in Iowa boring too - everyone says it is - but I actually kinda liked it. Horizons as far as you can see and gently undulating land that makes me feel like I'm sailing out in the middle of an ocean.
I like big open spaces so it suited me just fine
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I like big open spaces so it suited me just fine
City girl as heart. Give me the hustle, bustle and crowded living and walking conditions of a big city and I'm happy. When on vacation, my preference is towards water views, quiet and nature.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

I took my MA driving "test" on Saturday.

My wife went first and I sat in the back with the sponsor. She was asked to do the hand signals, then drive to the end of the residential road we were on. At the end, she did a 3-point-turn then was told to pull over and that she had passed. We then switched seats, I drove to the other end of the road, did a 3-point-turn, parallel parked and then drove back and had also passed.

It is no exaggeration to say that from start to finish, we were both in the car a combined time of 6 minutes and only about half of that time the car was in motion.

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT!
Old Oct 17th 2017, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

The driving "test" is far easier over here - mine involved parking inside some cones in a car park and then driving for 500 yards on a road before returning.

I imagine the ease of driving creates the conditions for the accidents - far too easy to switch off and probably even snooze.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Much easier to pass your test here: you just need to swot up on everything beforehand:
watch youtube videos of an actual driving test from your location, download the handbook for theory test etc. You will most likely get asked the question about blood-alcohol limits so memorize that one. Drive to the speed limit rather than under it (as you would do in the UK).
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, despite the wide roads, driving off the side of the road, or into on-coming traffic is scarily common. There is a recurring news report that I first noticed shortly after moving hete, and I still see/hear it regularly in the news, like every couple of weeks: the driver either (1) drove into on-coming traffic or (2) off the side of the road, they then either (1) hit a tree, or (2) over-corrected, came back onto the road and either (1) drove into on-coming traffic or (2) off the other side of the road, and hit a tree. The result is always the same - the driver died. .... Last week the report was of exactly such an incident where someone drove off the side of the interstate, in the middle of a sunny afternoon, and hit a tree!

A former colleague, who was a cop in Florida, reported that it is exactly the same there, except people drive into ditches, rivers, ponds, and lakes, instead of hitting trees.
I think the problem is it's too easy to drive here.
Automatics
Long straight roads
Piss poor standards for the driving test.
I've seen people eating cereal from a bowl with a spoon on my morning commute!
Old Oct 18th 2017, 1:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
Automatics
Long straight roads
Bingo! .... And so have I.

I would add to your list that a significant number of drivers learned to drive in nasty old barges that wallowed around corners, therefore they have no idea that in a modern car you can whip around corners at a good clip with your foot on the gas, .... and feel safer than taking the same turn at half the speed with your foot on the brake. I keep telling my wife and daughter, or whoever else is a passenger that the road must be icy given how slow the car in front is taking the corner!

I saw an article a while back, when the "sudden acceleration" craze was in full swing (usually pensioners in old Buick or Caddies), and the author said he could end the pen entirely - just outlaw automatics, as there wasn't a single reported incident of sudden uncontrolled acceleration in a car with a manual transmission!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 18th 2017 at 1:13 am.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
Automatics
Long straight roads
I've seen people taking a hit on a bong while driving on the highway on several occasions. Automatics mean that people are not really 'connected' to their car: you don't have to concentrate or actually really be present to get from A to B. Driving as close as possible to the person in front of you is the norm and if you leave a gap some idiot will swerve into the moment it is around 3 cms longer than his/her car.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
I've seen people taking a hit on a bong while driving on the highway on several occasions. Automatics mean that people are not really 'connected' to their car: you don't have to concentrate or actually really be present to get from A to B. Driving as close as possible to the person in front of you is the norm and if you leave a gap some idiot will swerve into the moment it is around 3 cms longer than his/her car.
This!

Why when I keep a sensible distance to the car in front does someone with a small manhood in a rather large truck jacked up on a lift kit, feel the need to swerve into that gap barely long enough for their truck?!
Old Oct 18th 2017, 3:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
Originally Posted by BenK91
.... Why when I keep a sensible distance to the car in front does someone with a small manhood in a rather large truck jacked up on a lift kit, feel the need to swerve into that gap barely long enough for their truck?!
Without knowing exactly what circumstances you (both) are talking about, if the vehicle muscling-in is coming over from the right, it is often because the vehicle "behind the gap", presumably "you" in this case is travelling slower than vehicles to the right of "you", which generally speaking "you" shouldn't be (travelling slower).

It is not at all uncommon in my experience to find a line of vehicles in the left lane cruising along, with one, or more, lanes to the right almost empty. So yes, when I am rolling long in a lane to the right, at some point I will need to get over in to the left lane to pass a slower moving vehicle, before, after completing my passing manoeuver, moving back to the right ..... where all the other ****-wits in the left lane should be!

If you're talking about the same sort of idiots described above, who have stayed in the far left lane until it is too late to safely move to the left in time to exit the highway/ interstate, so they're muscling-in from the left, then I wholeheartedly agree with you!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 18th 2017 at 5:30 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 5:25 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I agree! I love the "big horizon" areas of the USA.... Maybe it's because I'm from the only real "flatlands" in the UK, the Cambs Fens.

Last time I lived in America many years ago, we were based in Texas which abounded in wide long vistas under the giant horizon. Just magnificent views, especially when storms were coming!!

However, this time around we're living in New England, the part with hills of all sizes, valleys everywhere you look, and winding country roads full of surprises....
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Without knowing exactly what circumstances you (both) are talking about, if the vehicle muscling-in is coming over from the right, it is often because the vehicle "behind the gap", presumably "you" in this case is travelling slower than vehicles to the right of "you", which generally speaking "you" shouldn't be (travelling slower).

It is not at all uncommon in my experience to find a line of vehicles in the left lane cruising along, with one, or more, lanes to the right almost empty. So yes, when I am rolling long in a lane to the right, at some point I will need to get over in to the left lane to pass a slower moving vehicle, before, after completing my passing manoeuver, moving back to the right ..... where all the other ****-wits in the left lane should be!
In CA there is no such rule that slower traffic should keep right on the freeway (unless towing then you must stay in the two right lanes). In many cases you actually join the freeway from the left, coming into the traffic from the left, and sometimes exit ramps are on the left too.

The only reason I leave a gap is because it's the only safe and correct way to drive. The only reason people jump into said gap is because they are idiots who think that weaving across lanes will get them wherever they are going faster (it won't).

And continuing the theme, I just saw someone brushing his teeth at the wheel: handled the all way stop perfectly well without taking his hand/toothbrush away from his mouth.