Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving test

Driving test

Old Feb 24th 2003, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

somersetfolks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving test

I'm about to take my driving test here in Atlanta. its taken me a while as i had to wait for my SSN and that took longer than it should of. then i just got lazy and made my husband drive me everywhere! now we're buying a new car that i actually want to drive so ive got to get on and do it now! Do i actually need to take the actual driving test as i hold a UK licence or do i just have to do the theory one. It seems that it depends what state you live in, as i read on one of the threads that in NJ you just do the theory. So can anyone help me with the Georgia one. I know ive nothing to worry about but when i took my test years ago it was worse than my A levels so i just need someone to put my mind to rest. The georgia DMV site is pretty useless and its no good even calling them - ive tried, the only people less helpful were the ins people in atlanta when i got my advance parole denied (a long story all sorted out now).
I know its easy etc... but i just need a brit to tell me that!
Thanks
Louise
Old Feb 26th 2003, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

David IAnson is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you got your State Driver Handbook, you should be able to pick it up from the DMV or your local library. I had to take the theory and driving test (which I passed 2nd attempt - forgot which side of road they drive on!!). The Handbook will tell you all you need to know, good luck.
Old Feb 27th 2003, 1:35 am
Just Joined

ukinusa is an unknown quantity at this point

I live at the foot of Mt.Rainier in WA. I was told that I could only drive on my UK license for 3 months in this State so I just got myself the handbook and read it from start to finish over and over again.

Because we live in the back of beyond, I was able to take the theory test and then the driving test immediately afterwards which I passed with 98%. One of the major problems around here is the total lack of traffic, without which, I had a terrible problem remembering which side of the road to stay on - especially when coming out of a junction!!

I did get two of the questions wrong though - both of them related to traffic signals which are very confusing. Back home, a red light means stop and it does here except that you can turn right on red light and you have to look for filters etc. etc. etc. Make sure you go through that manual thoroughly.

One thing I found very useful was to use my search engine for on-line driving tests of various states. Here's the WA one http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/test/qbeg.htm

I went through just about every State I could think of - although they're all basically the same, it gave a good variety of questions.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 27th 2003, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

somersetfolks is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, appreciate your help. Ive got the manual so id better knuckle down and read it back to back! lets face it, cant be any worse than the 16 year olds they give licences too!
Old Feb 27th 2003, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I passed my test in NYC late 80's. Test was a bit of a joke.
I came back from UK trip last Saturday, when driving in UK I always say to myself steering on the right, drive on the left. In USA steering on the left, drive on the right. At my age that tends to help. Roundabouts in UK tend to be the toughest.
Good luck with test, its lucky your taking it here, 100 times harder in UK
Reg. Frank R.