Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving to a STOP - America

Driving to a STOP - America

Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:36 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to a STOP - America

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Yield here means "don't bother with the brakes, don't look for any other road user who might have right of way, just plough out into the traffic because yield must mean that they will yield to you".
Spot on The poor saps who do know what a yield is allways run the risk of being rear ended by a SUV
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:21 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

...and perfect evidence of the stupidity of 4-way stops is the legal (not practical) definition of who has right of way at a 4-way stop.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:46 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
...and perfect evidence of the stupidity of 4-way stops is the legal (not practical) definition of who has right of way at a 4-way stop.
You have right of way...no matter what if you are a nearly blind can't see over the steering wheel little old lady over 70...
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:00 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
You have right of way...no matter what if you are a nearly blind can't see over the steering wheel little old lady over 70...
Or 95 :scared:
Old Nov 18th 2006, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

I used to drive across the original Magic Roundabout, in Swindon, every day during the sandwich year of my degree back in 1987 - 88. Also my American neighbour, who originates from Chicago, knows the Magic Roundabout very well too - he's visited Swindon on business a number of times.

Small world, eh?

Originally Posted by dan_alford
When I worked in Hemel we had Americans come to visit. The fun thing to do was to see the sheer terror in their faces when you took them on the magic roundabout. You half expected their heads to explode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_R...l_Hempstead%29
Old Nov 18th 2006, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
(sigh)

Roundabouts would solve most of those problems.

But I doubt that mericans would ever 'get' roundabouts. Probably would lead to total chaos if they tried them here.
There's an article in this week's Economist about Canada introducing roundabouts.

Roundabouts definitely beat four way stop signs and traffic lights. The latter both waste time - when cars sit there when there are no cars in the direction of the green lights - and tend to bunch traffic in a particular direction. I remember reading in the WSJ a couple of years ago that they'd introduced some in Fort Lauderdale and it was complete chaos. Don't know whether they still have them.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Thought it had something to do with one person per car too. Not much car pooling going on.
Not to mention the average car is about three times as big as in Europe, thus taking up more road space
Old Nov 18th 2006, 2:11 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Not to mention the average car is about three times as big as in Europe, thus taking up more road space
'sOK because they gain a key advantage by driving them in one quarter of the road space.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

GaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I remember reading in the WSJ a couple of years ago that they'd introduced some in Fort Lauderdale and it was complete chaos. Don't know whether they still have them.
Washington Circle in downtown DC has proven to me that Americans are completely incapable of manoeuvring a roundabout. About a month ago I was driving within the circle and a driver burst past the yield sign without stopping at all. I was inches away from crashing into her. I fear that she didn't realise what she did wrong despite the fact that I leaned on my horn after that.

An hour ago I was driving home through the same circle. There's traffic in the circle so I stop at the yield sign. What does the driver in the circle do? He stops! I wave at him for a few seconds, sigh, and enter the circle.

I mean, really!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

I'd rather be sideswiped on a roundabout by someone that doesnt know what they are doing than T'ed by someone doing 60mph that didnt bother to stop.