Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in the states

Driving in the states

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Hazzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in the states

If an american moves to the UK they have 1 years grace using their american license to drive on the UK roads before they need a UK license. Does anyone know if there is a similar rule for UK people moving to the USA or will i need to get a US license pretty much straight away?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:01 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the states

If you know what state you are moving to do a search for their DMV (department of motor vehicle) and check what it says about international drivers in that state.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazzie
If an american moves to the UK they have 1 years grace using their american license to drive on the UK roads before they need a UK license. Does anyone know if there is a similar rule for UK people moving to the USA or will i need to get a US license pretty much straight away?
50 states, 50 rules.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
50 states, 50 rules.
Hi:

You forgot about Washington, DC which is not part of any state. Also, USVI and Puerto Rico. We need not talk about American Samoa.

BTW, I think California's rule is 10 days after becoming resident here.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

O Guam!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:29 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You forgot about Washington, DC which is not part of any state. Also, USVI and Puerto Rico. We need not talk about American Samoa.

BTW, I think California's rule is 10 days after becoming resident here.
Pedantic!

BTW, issue also revolves around immigration status -- or rather DMV's interpretation of it! Some poor guy on here the other month couldn't be issued one in WI (iirc) on an L1, believe it or not! CA also seems to have driven numerous posters to despair.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazzie
Ohio, 30 days after becoming resident which is starting a job, renting/buying a house, enrolling kids in school, etc.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

It would appear that many states laws state that within 'x' days of becoming a resident you have to obtain a driving licence, however as many of us moving for business reasons to the US don't have a permanent address proving residence via a utility bill in our name and also dont have a SSN# because it can take weeks or months for the Social Security Administration to cough one up, what happens then, do we have to sit at home on our hands?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Pedantic!

BTW, issue also revolves around immigration status -- or rather DMV's interpretation of it! Some poor guy on here the other month couldn't be issued one in WI (iirc) on an L1, believe it or not! CA also seems to have driven numerous posters to despair.
Being even more pedantic ...

The state laws that require you to get a driver's license within a certain time period are pretty much all triggered by your becoming resident in that particular state. In this case, the meaning of "resident" is defined by the state and has nothing to do with USCIS or your immigration status.

Your ability to actually get a driver's license in a particular state will, however, depend on your being able to produce the particular documents which that state requires in order to prove your identity and that you are legally present in the US. You might imagine that, since these requirements are largely driven by the Federal government's "Real ID Act" that the list of acceptable documents would be the same in every state but, of course, you would be wrong
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:52 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by md95065

The state laws that require you to get a driver's license within a certain time period are pretty much all triggered by your becoming resident in that particular state. In this case, the meaning of "resident" is defined by the state and has nothing to do with USCIS or your immigration status.

Your ability to actually get a driver's license in a particular state will, however, depend on your being able to produce the particular documents which that state requires in order to prove your identity and that you are legally present in the US. You might imagine that, since these requirements are largely driven by the Federal government's "Real ID Act" that the list of acceptable documents would be the same in every state but, of course, you would be wrong

Pretty accurate but continuing with the pedanticity (sorry, made that word up)...

You forgot to include the random factor of the DMV drone making it all up as they go along.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty accurate but continuing with the pedanticity (sorry, made that word up)...

You forgot to include the random factor of the DMV drone making it all up as they go along.
Agreed that I missed that last and very important point, but disagree that particular factor is "random" - the information that you get is indeed random (or, more accurately, random and incorrect), but the fact that the DMV employee has no idea what they are doing and is just making it up as they go along is pretty much guaranteed.

Last edited by md95065; Jun 22nd 2008 at 5:02 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:02 pm
Septicity

Agreed that I missed that last and very important point, but disagree that particular factor is "random" - the information that you get is indeed random (or, more accurately, random and incorrect), but the fact that the DMV employee has no idea what they are doing and is just making it up as they go along is pretty much guaranteed.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

WRONG!
Here in MD, you don't need to show legal presence....
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:20 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
WRONG!
Here in MD, you don't need to show legal presence....
I think it is a federal requirement to have an ssn to get a driving licence anywhere in the US (well that's what it said on my ME licence renewal notice anyway). I think you have to show proof to get the ssn but not directly for the licence.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Hazzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sime303
I think it is a federal requirement to have an ssn to get a driving licence anywhere in the US (well that's what it said on my ME licence renewal notice anyway). I think you have to show proof to get the ssn but not directly for the licence.
So to get a driving license i need a social security number?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.