Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Schools ?

Driving Schools ?

Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

KLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Schools ?

I've been trying to find information on driving schools in California (Valley area, Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks... or anywhere near).

So far I've contacted 5 schools I've found and all of them have said they're online driving schools.

I assume since these were the only schools I could find in the area that the terminology differs over here.

Could someone clarify a few related questions ?

I assume as a J1 visa holder I need to take the California driving tests in order to drive here ?
  • Are there practical driving schools ? What's the correct terminology to find them ?
  • Where is the theory test taken ?
  • How does the US driving test differ to British (other than opposite side of road) ?

Thank You

K
Old Apr 1st 2013, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Schools ?

I think if you search for adult or student driving schools, that will direct you to web sites that give road driving instructions. I believe that student driving schools also have a department that trains adults.

http://www.samdrivingschools.com/adult-driving-programs

Last edited by Michael; Apr 1st 2013 at 5:04 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 5:07 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KLondon
I've been trying to find information on driving schools in California (Valley area, Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks... or anywhere near).

So far I've contacted 5 schools I've found and all of them have said they're online driving schools.

I assume since these were the only schools I could find in the area that the terminology differs over here.

I assume as a J1 visa holder I need to take the California driving tests in order to drive here ?
  • Are there practical driving schools ? What's the correct terminology to find them ?
  • How does the US driving test differ to British (other than opposite side of road) ?

Thank You

K
I had a lesson with these, just because I was nervous about driving around LA. The guy who came out was really nice and helpful.

http://www.driverseddirect.com/Los-A...rivers-ed.aspx
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 3:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can you already drive?

If so, then you don't really need lessons.

Get the drivers hand book from the DMV site, read it, especially the stuff on teenagers and drink driving penalty points.

Test is usually a multichoice at the DMV, on a computer probably.

As for the actual driving test, most folks say it's pretty short, 5-10 minutes of driving around the block if it even gets out of the parking lot. Only really need to worry about stopping at stop signs and again at the line and then junction if they're staggered, to not speed and over exaggerate head movements when looking in the mirror/turning.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 3:41 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

"Drivers Ed" might be a good phrase to search on.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You

K

Your nearest "Community College" is a good place to start.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Thank You

K
Maybe the driving schools that you have contacted are what Americans call "Traffic School". If you receive a ticket for a driving offense when you already have your license, you are often allowed to pay a fine and go to online 'traffic school'. I'm guessing these are the people you are talking to. They don't teach you how to drive, but give lessons on things like what alcohol does to your reaction times, driving while under the influence, safety rules etc.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
Maybe the driving schools that you have contacted are what Americans call "Traffic School". If you receive a ticket for a driving offense when you already have your license, you are often allowed to pay a fine and go to online 'traffic school'. I'm guessing these are the people you are talking to. They don't teach you how to drive, but give lessons on things like what alcohol does to your reaction times, driving while under the influence, safety rules etc.
What you didn't say is the reason is that the violation is expunged from your record if you attend a traffic school. That is what I thought may have been happening when I first read her post but didn't mention it.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jackattack
Yeah I believe so. I just want some practice

Originally Posted by Michael
What you didn't say is the reason is that the violation is expunged from your record if you attend a traffic school. That is what I thought may have been happening when I first read her post but didn't mention it.
Ah I understand why they have them I just wasn't sure why that was the only type of driving school available I have a number of helpful links I'm going to contact now from people in this thread.

On another note, does anyone have any idea as to the best area to take the test, I've been told I sit between 3 offices Hollywood, Van Nuys, Glendale. Are any of these better or worse than the other ?

Are there any areas I could drive around once I get the permit to practice and get used to the area?

Thanks again

K
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:03 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I believe so. I just want some practice

Ah I understand why they have them I just wasn't sure why that was the only type of driving school available I have a number of helpful links I'm going to contact now from people in this thread.

On another note, does anyone have any idea as to the best area to take the test, I've been told I sit between 3 offices Hollywood, Van Nuys, Glendale. Are any of these better or worse than the other ?

Are there any areas I could drive around once I get the permit to practice and get used to the area?

Thanks again

K
None of them, take yourself off to Winnetka.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My kids used this one:

http://safetyfirstds.com/

Thousand Oaks DMV has quieter roads for the test than Winnetka but it may be too far for you.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks, I'll keep Thousand Oaks in mind.

I thought Pasadena might have been a good one but not sure if it's worth doing anywhere other than where I am now if I don't have the opportunity to drive around the same areas as the test before the test ? (I'm sure there's a shorter way to structure that!! )
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Can you already drive?

If so, then you don't really need lessons.

Get the drivers hand book from the DMV site, read it, especially the stuff on teenagers and drink driving penalty points.

Test is usually a multichoice at the DMV, on a computer probably.

As for the actual driving test, most folks say it's pretty short, 5-10 minutes of driving around the block if it even gets out of the parking lot. Only really need to worry about stopping at stop signs and again at the line and then junction if they're staggered, to not speed and over exaggerate head movements when looking in the mirror/turning.
Agreed 200%. .... Oh, and you get a "full" license even though you are (I presume) taking your test in an automatic. (For the pedants round here, yes, I know there is no such thing in the US as an "automatic license". )

I'm pretty sure my mother could pass a US driving test without taking lessons, .... and she's never had a British license.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 4th 2013 at 1:24 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Pasadena might have been a good one but not sure if it's worth doing anywhere other than where I am now if I don't have the opportunity to drive around the same areas as the test before the test ? (I'm sure there's a shorter way to structure that!! )
Yes good point.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:52 pm

It's usually not a problem, it's not like the UK test. Both me and my husband did the test in Winnetka, and just drove around 2 blocks. No silly routes, or hillstarts to contend with here. The out of the way DMV's are usually just in less built up places, which is why they are often recommended

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.