Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in NJ with UK license

Driving in NJ with UK license

Old Jun 16th 2021, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving in NJ with UK license

I am sure you are right. It just frustrates me when I can't get a straight and clear answer to something that should be so straightforward!
Old Jun 16th 2021, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to America.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

lapreece is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tino
I am sure you are right. It just frustrates me when I can't get a straight and clear answer to something that should be so straightforward!
I'm in the same situation. I moved to NJ from NY 5 months ago (and move to NY from the UK 2 years ago). I just bought a car with my partner and obtained insurance, all on my UK license as theres been backups at the DMV to get a NJ one. My appointment at the DMV is in 1 month away forthe knowledge test at which point i understand they will waive the road test and provide a NJ license as I have a valid UK license.

All that being said, us brits have 1 year from the date we move to NJ to continue driving on our UK licenses.
New Jersey law states online on the NJ Traffic Centre website that new residents with foreign licenses have up to 12 months where they can continue to drive on a foreign license. I read this online but i wanted to confirm so I consulted a traffic lawyer online who confirmed this, and he clarified that 12 months begins from the date you become a NJ resident, not from the date you move to the US. I spoke to a Traffic Attorney online via Justanswer.com.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapreece
I'm in the same situation. I moved to NJ from NY 5 months ago (and move to NY from the UK 2 years ago). I just bought a car with my partner and obtained insurance, all on my UK license as theres been backups at the DMV to get a NJ one. My appointment at the DMV is in 1 month away forthe knowledge test at which point i understand they will waive the road test and provide a NJ license as I have a valid UK license.

All that being said, us brits have 1 year from the date we move to NJ to continue driving on our UK licenses.
New Jersey law states online on the NJ Traffic Centre website that new residents with foreign licenses have up to 12 months where they can continue to drive on a foreign license. I read this online but i wanted to confirm so I consulted a traffic lawyer online who confirmed this, and he clarified that 12 months begins from the date you become a NJ resident, not from the date you move to the US. I spoke to a Traffic Attorney online via Justanswer.com.
That's great to know, thanks!
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

GaleOfWind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapreece
I just bought a car with my partner and obtained insurance, all on my UK license as theres been backups at the DMV to get a NJ one.

Could I ask which insurer you used? I'm in a similar position with probably using my UK license at the start, and I understand that it can be difficult to get insurance on a non-US license.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaleOfWind
Could I ask which insurer you used? I'm in a similar position with probably using my UK license at the start, and I understand that it can be difficult to get insurance on a non-US license.
I had liberty mutual on a UK licence.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom169
I had liberty mutual on a UK licence.
I had Progressive on a UK license
Old Jun 24th 2021, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

NJ MVC is a shower of s*** During the past 3 years i have had to renew my license 3 times. This last time my current license had expired by 2 weeks before i could get it renewed. It was a 6 week wait for an appointment near Princeton. I would of made the appointment earlier, but wrongly i thought i needed proof of PR status. Could never get a straight answer out of them if i was allowed to drive with an expired license (might sound obvious, but during Covid people could)

Just for note: NJ does not require any proof of PR status anymore. They just want proof of address. I now have a 5 year license even though my GC has expired and my passport stamp has less than a year left. Make sure you take your Social Card with you or a tax return showing it. A few people were being sent away (not good if it takes weeks for further appointments)

If you need quicker appointments then broaden your search and maybe be prepared for an hour or so drive. Cancellations do occur and places like Cape May always seem to have some availability.
Old Jun 13th 2022, 2:18 am
Just Joined

sakurameng is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my NJ license after passing knowledge test (South Plainfield MVC office), no road test required. I was worried before doing that but it seems very standard and no hassle.
Old Jun 13th 2022, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sakurameng
Got my NJ license after passing knowledge test (South Plainfield MVC office), no road test required. I was worried before doing that but it seems very standard and no hassle.
Did you get a 5 year license? I just renewed mine and the LIMITED TERM part was removed from the license. I think this is when NJ started giving licenses to undocumented people too. Either way, I found that post COVID was much better with the appointment system only taking 30 mins to renew my license.
Old Jun 13th 2022, 1:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sakurameng
It has been reported here on BE for many years, that NJ will give a license to a British driver without a road test, and it is appears that NJ is, and remains, the only US state that doesn't give a road test to British drivers.