Reload this Page >

Driving in New Jersey area?

Driving in New Jersey area?

Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:08 am
Just Joined

footballwidow is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Driving in New Jersey area?

Hi,

I will shortly be re-locating to the New Jersey area and wanted some info about sitting a driving test in this state? Love to hear from anyone who's done it? I have a UK driving licence, but I understand that I need to apply for a New Jersey one, sit an exam and maybe do a practical driving test. It's been a while since I reversed around a corner, so it would be great to get some info on what I will need to brush up on!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:38 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in New Jersey area?

Originally Posted by footballwidow
Hi,

I will shortly be re-locating to the New Jersey area and wanted some info about sitting a driving test in this state? Love to hear from anyone who's done it? I have a UK driving licence, but I understand that I need to apply for a New Jersey one, sit an exam and maybe do a practical driving test. It's been a while since I reversed around a corner, so it would be great to get some info on what I will need to brush up on!
Pretty much all you need to know is here:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/index.htm
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:52 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a while since I reversed around a corner, so it would be great to get some info on what I will need to brush up on!
The driving tests here can be difficult. You generally have to drive around the block which involves "turning" (sometimes right and left!) and possibly "stopping" (maybe in extreme cases more than once) with "driving in a straight line" in between all the turning and stopping! Then there is "parking" which makes all the rest look like a cakewalk. The worst is that all this has to be done without hitting any objects, other vehicles or pedestrians and also without any major traffic law violations. Minor infractions such as excessive speed, making a right turn from the left lane and driving on the sidewalk are usually overlooked as those happen to everyone, even vetran drivers, and the testor realizes most of the candidates are nervous.

Don't feel inadequate if you fail the first time, It takes most people several tries.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to say welcome to BE and enjoy New Jersey!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:58 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

I learned how to drive and took my first test in NJ . Even after flunking the parallel parking, I still somehow passed. The sit-down, touch-screen test was pretty difficult, but if you read up on their highway code you should make it no problem. I think you need to get 80% of the questions right to pass. The test itself is different depending on where you go, but in Eatontown, which is where I took mine, it was in a parking lot with lanes built out of traffic cones. No other traffic on the course. I almost wet myself laughing how easy it was.

Needless to say, you can get by for a while with a British driver's license, but you need a US license as ID in so many places here, it's worth switching as soon as you can.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Very brave ! ...... I have been driving trucks in this country for 6 years and NJ is the only state that frightens me
I get in and out ASAP.
Don't attmept the northern part of the turnpike untill you know exactly what you are doing, don't sit in the middle ale when it's 3 lanes each way .... It really gets up truck drivers noses.

I will be driving down it tomorrow to I-78 and out to Lebanon PA, I will dread every mile of it ............... crazy bastards
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

derson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant future

How do, get down to the local MVC and register for an exam permit within 60 days of arriving and you'll only need to take the theory test to get your NJ license. Any longer than that and you'll need to take the driving test as well. The license runs until your visa runs out.

I did it a few weeks ago and it was a fairly simple multiple-choice 'quiz' - 50 questions, 80% needed to pass. The hardest part was getting the ID together and working out which queue to join at the centre itself!

My first U.S.driving experience followed shortly afterwards - out of Hoboken and onto the NJ Turnpike. Just fire up a fat cigar and pretend you're in the opening credits of The Sopranos and you'll feel much better....

Hi,

Old Aug 12th 2007, 2:12 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

I know I am late to this thread but I wanted to add my experience for anyone who searches for this topic in the future.

I have just relocated to NJ from Boston. I had no need for a license in Boston as I lived downtown and just used rental cars on my UK license as needed.

We went to Randolph, NJ to file all the paperwork because I was told it would be quiet and easy. The lines were very short and the staff were all friendly - it was a very pleasant experience compared to the Boston DMV! They did tell me that NJ DMV's have had a bad rap and they were actively trying to turn that around with better service. They were very strict on the 6 points ID rules. I used my US passport, ATM card and house paperwork (had to have original signatures, no photocopies allowed) to get the points.

3 lines.....points checked, info checked/photo processed and then written test. I took the written test which was multiple choice on the pc - you need 80% to pass. Once that is done they sent me back to the people who took my photo, they printed my card and I was done. I even liked my picture.

Easy peasy.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 2:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by looselips
I know I am late to this thread but I wanted to add my experience for anyone who searches for this topic in the future.

I have just relocated to NJ from Boston. I had no need for a license in Boston as I lived downtown and just used rental cars on my UK license as needed.

We went to Randolph, NJ to file all the paperwork because I was told it would be quiet and easy. The lines were very short and the staff were all friendly - it was a very pleasant experience compared to the Boston DMV! They did tell me that NJ DMV's have had a bad rap and they were actively trying to turn that around with better service. They were very strict on the 6 points ID rules. I used my US passport, ATM card and house paperwork (had to have original signatures, no photocopies allowed) to get the points.

3 lines.....points checked, info checked/photo processed and then written test. I took the written test which was multiple choice on the pc - you need 80% to pass. Once that is done they sent me back to the people who took my photo, they printed my card and I was done. I even liked my picture.

Easy peasy.
My dentist is in Randolph...Rte 10.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
JG ............ You are such a source of information

Next time I am in Randolph with a toothache I will look him up

I drove down to Exit 7 on the NJ Pike thursday, took 2 hours to get to the tolls at the top from the GWB, then friday comming back it took an hour to travel the length of Newark airport main runway, however ............... As I sat there I notice it wasn't just cars etc standing still, there was a line of planes waiting and none of them were going anywhere either ....... must just be a New Jersey thing
Old Aug 12th 2007, 2:04 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Know any good hairdressers?!!

Patrick - you need to get out of that truck and off those highways sometime. We were in Bergen County yesterday for walks by the Delaware River. So beautiful and green. In the afternoon we were on the shore in Red Bank for dinner. Can't beat it.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 2:26 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Do people take driving test in NJ....

Please note NJ drivers when you come to the Cape...its route 28...not 28 miles an hour...its a 40 limit a lot of the time...use it...
Old Aug 12th 2007, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by krizzy
Do people take driving test in NJ....

Please note NJ drivers when you come to the Cape...its route 28...not 28 miles an hour...its a 40 limit a lot of the time...use it...
You must have been behind some Vermont based tourists.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:50 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Very brave ! ...... I have been driving trucks in this country for 6 years and NJ is the only state that frightens me
Seconded.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:59 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I f--king hate driving in New Jersey.
Even my US husband starts moaning about the lack of ways to turn around if you take the wrong exit and how 3 feet before the exit is where they put the sign telling you which exit it is.

Driving around Newark makes the Philadelphia road system look like a logical and well thought out and planned system.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:38 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
You must have been behind some Vermont based tourists.
No NJ...I think they make up for driving so mad at home...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.