Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in MO

Driving in MO

Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in MO

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Given the joke that passes for a road test in the US, I would recommend working out how you can meet the requirements for registering for a local license and taking the test, rather than trying to work out of you can avoid taking a test.
I agree. To avoid any doubt with police or insurers do the test, get the license and you know for sure you are in the clear. Nothing to lose and lots (potentially) to gain.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

You're new here, aren't you!

Generally speaking you can drive almost any vehicle on a UK in the short term with the permission of the owner. I did so as a visitor before I got married. Things may become less clear after the cut-off date for becoming a deemed resident of the state. The problem you face is that most students are from other US states and are exempt from obtaining an in-state licence so long as they maintain a permanent residence in the home state, but how this applies to a non-US student with a non-US license is likely not clear.

Honestly, if you've driven for a few years in the UK, get a little practice here, just a week or two, then go take the test! So long as you aren't obviously a danger to yourself or others, stop at STOP signs and red lights, and don't run over more than one pedestrian, you'll have no problem with the road test. I do recommend that you download a copy of the drivers manual from the DMV site and read through it, paying attention to limits and penalties for drunk driving, and rules for school buses and other odd things that might be asked in the "written" (computer) test.

Yeah, it's obvious isn't it!

Okay cool! We just wanted me to be able to drive her car around a good few times to get used to automatic, other side of road and car, and the rules of the road here. I mean, in a couple of weeks I will take the test, it was just for the meantime I was checking for if anything. Thanks for the info! I've already through the MO drivers guide etc.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
Yeah, it's obvious isn't it!

Okay cool! We just wanted me to be able to drive her car around a good few times to get used to automatic, other side of road and car, and the rules of the road here. I mean, in a couple of weeks I will take the test, it was just for the meantime I was checking for if anything. Thanks for the info! I've already through the MO drivers guide etc.
To learn how the automatic feels why not just drive around a large church parking lot on a day that isn't Sunday at 10am?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
To learn how the automatic feels why not just drive around a large church parking lot on a day that isn't Sunday at 10am?
No, do it on a Sunday when it will be far more fun!
Old Jul 26th 2017, 2:52 am
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are good for 30 days if you are a MO resident. Traffic is easy here, don't sweat it, if you fail go back the next day and try again
Old Jul 26th 2017, 6:25 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Maste - I forget which visa you are on. Is it J1? Do you get a social security number with that?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 6:27 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Driver Licensing Checklist

You have 184 days to get a MO license.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 6:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
..... You have 184 days to get a MO license.
No he doesn't - that's not what the linked page says - the "184 days" relates to expired out of state licenses. .... I looked a good bit and didn't find anything on the MO DMV website about swapping your license, only that you have 30 days after you arrive to register your vehicle in MO.

I would guess that you also have 30 days to swap your license, but students are generally exempt from the requirement to swap their license IF they only live in the state temporarily i.e. while studying. Just because they are "exempt" doesn't prevent them getting an in-state license if they want one.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 26th 2017 at 6:52 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 7:03 pm
Austin. TX.

No he doesn't - that's not what the linked page says - the "184 days" relates to expired out of state licenses. .... I looked a good bit and didn't find anything on the MO DMV website about swapping your license, only that you have 30 days after you arrive to register your vehicle in MO.

I would guess that you also have 30 days to swap your license, but students are generally exempt from the requirement to swap their license IF they only live in the state temporarily i.e. while studying. Just because they are "exempt" doesn't prevent them getting an in-state license if they want one.

good catch!

I was having a look through the manual http://dor.mo.gov/forms/Driver%20Guide.pdf#page=9

chapter 1
"
Certain persons are not required to obtain a Missouri driver license. You do
not need a Missouri driver license if:
• You are a member of the armed forces and you have a valid driver
license from your home state.
You are a full-time student and you have a valid driver license from your
home state.

• You operate or temporarily operate/move any farm tractor or implement
on a highway for agri-related purposes.
You are required to carry your driver license or permit when you drive. If
any law enforcement officer asks to see your driver license or permit, you
must present it. It is against the law for you to allow anyone else to use
your license or permit."

Maste is a full time student?

also - he doesn't need a social security number with a J visa even if he does need/want to get a drivers license
page 11
"NOTE: If you are a nonimmigrant foreign student, who is not
authorized to work in the United States, submission of a status
letter from the SSA is not required. (You or your dependents
immigration document MUST reflect an F or a J classification).
•"
Old Jul 26th 2017, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Maste - I forget which visa you are on. Is it J1? Do you get a social security number with that?
F1 student visa! I don't get a SS number as it currently stands, unless I get on campus work, OPT or CPT.

Yeah, I am only a student and will only be living in MO temporarily until the end of my course as it currently stands! So theoretically I don't actually need to get one? I will get one soon of course, I just wandered where I actually stood in all this!
Old Jul 26th 2017, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

good catch!

I was having a look through the manual http://dor.mo.gov/forms/Driver%20Guide.pdf#page=9

chapter 1
"
Certain persons are not required to obtain a Missouri driver license. You do
not need a Missouri driver license if:
• You are a member of the armed forces and you have a valid driver
license from your home state.
You are a full-time student and you have a valid driver license from your
home state.

• You operate or temporarily operate/move any farm tractor or implement
on a highway for agri-related purposes.
You are required to carry your driver license or permit when you drive. If
any law enforcement officer asks to see your driver license or permit, you
must present it. It is against the law for you to allow anyone else to use
your license or permit."

Maste is a full time student?

also - he doesn't need a social security number with a J visa even if he does need/want to get a drivers license
page 11
"NOTE: If you are a nonimmigrant foreign student, who is not
authorized to work in the United States, submission of a status
letter from the SSA is not required. (You or your dependents
immigration document MUST reflect an F or a J classification).
•"
yes, full time grad student!

Thank you for taking the time out to read the thing through for me! It's a great help. So would the UK 'technically' class as my home state? It's all very wishy washy and confusing!
Old Jul 26th 2017, 7:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Thank you for taking the time out to read the thing through for me! It's a great help. So would the UK 'technically' class as my home state? ....
Yes, almost certainly.
.....It's all very wishy washy and confusing!
Yes, it is, and isn't much better for those arriving on work or family visas because most states specify a maximum time to get a local license that is somewhere between optimistic and wildly unrealistic given that every state except for one requires British citizens to take a road test.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 7:18 pm
Austin. TX.

yes, full time grad student!

Thank you for taking the time out to read the thing through for me! It's a great help. So would the UK 'technically' class as my home state? It's all very wishy washy and confusing!
probably.
there is the option of emailing the dmv to ask.

However, I would get a driver's license if you can and it looks like you can. It's great to use as ID in bars etc and it's very cheap to get one.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

probably.
there is the option of emailing the dmv to ask.

However, I would get a driver's license if you can and it looks like you can. It's great to use as ID in bars etc and it's very cheap to get one.

Don't know - In the US context "home state" was likely written to mean "a different state in the US" - as if you move state in the US you are generally required to get the licence of the new state within a certain time frame. An American would have probably written "home country" or "home state or country" to mean overseas. Two nations separated by a common language etc etc etc.

While it is very, very likely you have a grace period on the UK licence, I would contact them to ask if this clause exempts you from needing a MO licence completely.

As well, unfortunately for you forget about MO resident grad tuition, though I know you brought that up in jest. Some state universities have a clause that says even out-of-staters in grad school get in-state tuition after a year, I would bet that only applies to US Citizens and Permanent Residents. But perhaps worth it to see if something similar is buried in your university's financial aid policy somewhere and if you can benefit.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 3:05 am
Austin. TX.

are you married? is she/he earning money?

apparently F1 visa is non-resident alien until you've been here 5 years.
Missouri Residency Requirements // Office of the Registrar // University of Missouri

you'll have to get the driver's license too.