Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driving in maryland

driving in maryland

Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light
Default driving in maryland

hi guys,
im going to visit my fiancee in sept or october and was just wanting to know

can i drive her car on my uk licence as im there for a couple of weeks as were getting married
we will be going to ocean city as she has a place by the ocean there

its a 3 hour drive or so and would love to be able to help out with the driving
i can get international insurance cover on my uk insurance i think.or can i drive on her insurance

many thanks
dean h
Old Jun 19th 2011, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving in maryland

Originally Posted by redarmy990
can i drive her car on my uk licence...
Yes.

... as were getting married
Your upcoming marriage is irrelevant to the question.

... its a 3 hour drive or so...
A piece of cake in the US.

... or can i drive on her insurance
That'll depend on her insurance company... she should ask them.

Ian
Old Jun 19th 2011, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

ian thanks i know the drive is nothing we drove up to ocean city in april but i just want to know that i can drive on my uk licence

thanks
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

ian thanks i know the drive is nothing we drove up to ocean city in april but i just want to know that i can drive on my uk licence

thanks
Under state laws, yes.
Have your FI add you to her auto insurance as a covered driver.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

hi guys,
im going to visit my fiancee in sept or october and was just wanting to know

can i drive her car on my uk licence as im there for a couple of weeks as were getting married
we will be going to ocean city as she has a place by the ocean there

its a 3 hour drive or so and would love to be able to help out with the driving
i can get international insurance cover on my uk insurance i think.or can i drive on her insurance

many thanks
dean h
Most US auto insurance policies have what's called a standard "omnibus clause" that automatically covers any bona fide temporary guests operating the motor vehicle (without having to add you onto the policy). Don't rely on my word as policies vary, but a quick phone call to her insurance company should confirm whether or not you'd be covered as a temporary guest.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

suburbanmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deng890
Most US auto insurance policies have what's called a standard "omnibus clause" that automatically covers any bona fide temporary guests operating the motor vehicle (without having to add you onto the policy). Don't rely on my word as policies vary, but a quick phone call to her insurance company should confirm whether or not you'd be covered as a temporary guest.
Would that include fully comprehensive cover or just limited liability? We have the same issue in a few months time. I guess I should call our broker and ask their advice.