Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driving liscense in austin texas

driving liscense in austin texas

Old Apr 2nd 2003, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

hussainw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving liscense in austin texas

hi there i just wanted to know how hard is it to get a drivers license in austin texas because i am going there in june, i havent got a british driving liscense because i failed the test 2 times

i wanted to know how long is the driving test?

and what do they make you do in it?

thanks
Old Apr 2nd 2003, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak for Florida, but the test is really easy here- the worst thing is waiting in line. They give you an eyesight test and then a written test - which comprises 20 multiple choice questions on the computer, straight out of the Driving Manual- high school students pass the test questions around in school. After you do that they test your driving by first making you reverse through a set of barrels from two angles (right and left) and take you for a 5 min drive on their pretend road system- and its basically can you stop the car, drive in a straight line, reverse and turn a corner. No mirror signal manouver, hill starts or three point turns to worry about- and all cars are automatic so no gears either. Then when you pass, you get your picture taken and voila - your American Driving license, which is your ID here so very important that you get one. It's a breeze compared to the UK test, so don't worry. Find out the test procedure in the area you are moving to and familiarise yourself with the Drivers Manual ( a bit like the highway code) before you make an appointment for your test.
Old Apr 2nd 2003, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

thanks a lot

can anyone also help who is from texas
Old Apr 3rd 2003, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

hussainw

I hear tell the Auto makers have a special deal with each State. The more people who pass the test the more cars they sell.
I understand the Gas companies also have similar deal, the more people who pass the test, that buy the cars that use the gas.
Etc. etc.

Thats how easy the driving tests are. Pretty pathetic.

good Luck

Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 3rd 2003, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

i just want to make sure how is the driving test in texas, because
i spoke to a couple of people on the net and they said 5,10,15,20,45,and 1hour long, so i am pretty confused about exactly how long the driving test is and what do they make u do in it. people have told me different things.
can someone help?

plus if you hit a kerb do u fail?
and finaly where are the test taken people tell me its in the parking lot, then they say around the block, and so on.

thanks for anyone who helps
Old Apr 3rd 2003, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

hussainw

My suggestion is go to the local driving school & book a couple of lessons + get them to book the test for you. That way you will get the inside track + use their car.
Reg. Frank R.

Here in NYC, it's also the fastest way to get a Driving Test. Tho In Texas probably quicker to get the Test, maybe same day.
Old Apr 4th 2003, 8:21 am
Just Joined

thanks
but i still havnt got my anwser yet as to how long is the test and what they make you do in it
Old Apr 5th 2003, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

I moved to TX (DFW area) in May 2002, and took my test at the end of May that year.

When you get to Austin, go to your local DPS (Dept of Public Safety) Office - where the tests are held - and pick up a TX Drivers Handbook. That will help you with the written test.

Written test - You can do this right before your practical test, or earlier. about 30 questions, most of them pretty easy, a few tricky.

Practical test - took about 10 minutes. Got into car. State trooper asked to see insurance (it was in my wife's name, who owned the car, but this wasn't a problem). State Trooper did a brief inspection - lights, horn, etc..

Then, we parrallel parked around the side of the DPS building. Left the parking lot. Drive along in a big circle. A right, and 3 lefts, on residential, and medium-busy roads, drove into a school parking lot, and he had me put my hazards on and back up in a straight line for 50 feet. Drove back to DPS office. And that was it. Good luck!

-Harry
Old Apr 5th 2003, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

are the cars automatic if not does it make any difference.
and someone told me that they take u on to the freeways is that true?
Old Apr 7th 2003, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

Hey,
You take your own car to do the test in...or if you are taking formal driving lessons, the driving school will provide the vehicle for the test. So whether it's automatic or not would depend on what car you have/learn in at driving school. Unless otherwise specified, everything is automatic around here.

And in answer to your other question, they don't take you on the freeway.

Again, best of luck with it all!

-Harry
Old Apr 8th 2003, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

thanks a lot