Reload this Page >

Driving Licenses UK/USA

Driving Licenses UK/USA

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

dualnational is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Driving Licenses UK/USA

HI,

This may sound like a really stupid question but I cannot find an answer anywhere!!

I am a dual national (UK/USA). I have lived in the UK all my life but obtained USA nationality through a parent.

When I visit the USA for holidays (under 30 days) can I drive on my full UK license? I know as a tourist that is legal but because I am a non-resident citizen does that make a difference?

Please HELP!!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Driving Licenses UK/USA

Originally Posted by dualnational
HI,

This may sound like a really stupid question but I cannot find an answer anywhere!!

I am a dual national (UK/USA). I have lived in the UK all my life but obtained USA nationality through a parent.

When I visit the USA for holidays (under 30 days) can I drive on my full UK license? I know as a tourist that is legal but because I am a non-resident citizen does that make a difference?

Please HELP!!
I don't know - will you be driving a hire car? If not you may have problems with insurance without a US drivers license.

I've been stopped once since being here (hire car, UK drivers license at that stage) and wasn't asked at any time for my immigration status....I was speeding - he let me off ;-)
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Yes it will be a hire car, with me as an additional driver.

All the legislation states that it is fine so long as you are visiting the US, so I guess it depends on whether they class me as a visitor or not.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

For vacations, you can drive on your UK license.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks!

Is there any legislation etc I could print off just in case?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

Is there any legislation etc I could print off just in case?
Fifty states and a few odds and ends = more than 50 pieces of legislation.

Where are you going? Search on <state name> AND dmv AND site:.gov to find most legislation.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:00 pm
medicleo

In California, you will probable be OK as long as you do not earn any income in the state, or attend a fee paying place of education. If you do anything that qualifies you as a resident, rather than a visitor, you can only drive for 10 days after entering the states on a UK license, after which you must obtain a California license or be considered unlicensed. An "International Driving Permit" obtained from the AA or similar does not substitute. An IDP is a translation of your UK driving licence only, it does not confer any right to drive, except in juridictions that require the driver of a foreign driver's license to carry a translation.

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for all your help! We are going to New England so I will check the DMV sites again for those states.

Am glad that no one has said definitely not anyway...I spent ages looking and got very confused!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

you will be fine - as long as you are not a US resident then your UK license will be good and legal!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by medicleo
Not a US resident - you have to be "not a resident of the state in which you are operating the motorvehicle. " A resident of California has no more rights than a UK resident in, say, Minnesota with regard to driver's licenses if neither are Minnesota residents.
Sorry you've confused me... Do you mean that where I reside is irrelevant so long as it is not in that state, Minnesota in your example? And as a non resident I can use the UK license?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medicleo
Not a US resident - you have to be "not a resident of the state in which you are operating the motorvehicle. " A resident of California has no more rights than a UK resident in, say, Minnesota with regard to driver's licenses if neither are Minnesota residents.
Uh, if an individual does not live in any of the US states, then she is 'not a US resident'.

The dude is coming to the US on vacation (er, 'olidays) and may use his UK driving license. How did it take 12 posts to come to this conclusion?
His US citizenship has no bearing on driving on the UK license, which is his concern.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:09 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by meauxna
Uh, if an individual does not live in any of the US states, then she is 'not a US resident'.

The dude is coming to the US on vacation (er, 'olidays) and may use his UK driving license. How did it take 12 posts to come to this conclusion?
His US citizenship has no bearing on driving on the UK license, which is his concern.
I's solved it at #4. But it seems we're continuing in our driving license 101 course at the UoC.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:24 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

So just in case anyone was in any doubt, don't drive bulldozers, attend a state college, or get a job as a fluffer in prawn valley - any one of those things will invalidate your license...
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

HI,

Please HELP!!
No different to a resident of New York driving as a visitor in Vermont (as an example).
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

It seems like the biggest misunderstanding is about the license. There is no such thing as a "US drivers license." Each state has their own license, each state has different laws about who gets them and who needs them and each will recognize another states license as a tourist as long as you don't match any of their rules for residency. It doesn't really matter where your license is from or what your citizenship is or what your immigration status is, if you are not a resident of the state you are in based on that states definition, you don't need a license from that state.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.