Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving License Renewal Question

Driving License Renewal Question

Old Dec 16th 2020, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

labuddha is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Driving License Renewal Question

Hi, I've recently had my 0-1 Visa renewed. My driving license has expired whilst I was waiting on the process as has the visa page in my passport. I want to renew the license but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to as it needs to see an unexpired visa in my passport as proof. It's currently expired though because of the wait for this extension and I don't think I can get a new updated visa page in my passport until I visit the UK again, which who knows when we'll be allowed to do.

Does anyone know if I can get my license renewed or do I need to wait until I go back home and visit the embassy to get my passport updated? Seems kinda crazy that I have my visa extension but my ID docs have expired and having problems renewing them. Thanks

Old Dec 16th 2020, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License Renewal Question

Do you have any letters regarding the renewal from USCIS? Take those to the DMV.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 7:02 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by labuddha
Hi, I've recently had my 0-1 Visa renewed. My driving license has expired whilst I was waiting on the process as has the visa page in my passport. I want to renew the license but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to as it needs to see an unexpired visa in my passport as proof. It's currently expired though because of the wait for this extension and I don't think I can get a new updated visa page in my passport until I visit the UK again, which who knows when we'll be allowed to do.

Does anyone know if I can get my license renewed or do I need to wait until I go back home and visit the embassy to get my passport updated? Seems kinda crazy that I have my visa extension but my ID docs have expired and having problems renewing them. Thanks
What state are you located in? I have heard of states requiring non-citizens to show lawful status; this is the first time I’ve heard of a state requiring a valid visa on top of lawful status.

BTW, some states issue driver’s licenses to residents who cannot show lawful status. These licenses do not comply with federal “Real ID.” Take a look at this link for a list of those states.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 2:37 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

In texas they check your immigration status through SAVE. So take whatever you have so they can find you in the database.
I've had a few clients in your situation and it's been fine.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I had a similar situation with my NY drivers license.

My drivers license specified the expiry date of my previous temporary visitor status. When I switched onto a new visa I wanted to renew my license to show the new expiry date of my new temporary visitor status. There wasn't an option to do that online. But Covid hit and I couldn't be bothered going down the DMV with all my visa documents.

However, I moved apartment and there was an option to renew your drivers license online to reflect a new address. So I did that. And when I received the new drivers license it didn't even have the temporary visitor status on it. So that was fine for me.

To cut a long story short. Might we worth renewing it online and seeing what you get in the post.
Old Dec 19th 2020, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Skittletop is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in Florida, I have to renew my license every year (L1A visa) I have to take two proof of residence, bills, etc. Passport and most recent I94. Photos, eye-check, standard questions, and hey presto I'm done. I always book a morning off work as it can take a couple of hours. Not being a GC holder I can't do this online and have to apply in person at the local DMV.

This year my initial three-year visa had expired also, as tom169 suggested, I took the visa USCIS re-application document as a replacement for my regular I-94, and they were fine with that.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

JosiesJourney is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been worried about this too - although cannot even get an NJ DMV appointment in the whole state! But I think as long as you take your approval notice and other docs, the visa is actually just a travel document really. It's the immi status that is the important thing that proves your eligibility to be here
Old Jan 4th 2021, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skittletop
Here in Florida, I have to renew my license every year (L1A visa) I have to take two proof of residence, bills, etc. Passport and most recent I94. Photos, eye-check, standard questions, and hey presto I'm done. I always book a morning off work as it can take a couple of hours. Not being a GC holder I can't do this online and have to apply in person at the local DMV.

This year my initial three-year visa had expired also, as tom169 suggested, I took the visa USCIS re-application document as a replacement for my regular I-94, and they were fine with that.
I am also in Florida and similar to you, had to renew every 12 months. but last time I renewed (after a lengthy delay for visa extention re pandemic) I was very surprised to see they not only waived the delinquency fee but also the license is valid right to the end of the 2 yr extension! (they also didn't check residence bills.). My husband went to a different dmv location to me and only got the 12 mths license