Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving license NY

Wikiposts

Driving license NY

Old Nov 7th 2013, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license NY

Originally Posted by jaffy23
I definitely kept my UK driving license. Actually I updated the address to my parents house and sent in to the DVLA from here!..
Just a reminder that your UK license is no longer valid if you are not resident in the UK.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 1:59 am
Just Joined

LINY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jaffy23
I definitely kept my UK driving license. Actually I updated the address to my parents house and sent in to the DVLA from here!

The 5 hour pre-licensing is a doozy. I did mine from 5-10pm in the city...
I did my 5hrs last night... Your right it appears some people attend say nothing look like they are paying attention then leave. Thanks for the info on the driving licence. Can you tell me if you drove yourself to your road test or had someone else take you?
Old Nov 7th 2013, 12:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Just a reminder that your UK license is no longer valid if you are not resident in the UK.
And your reference is ... ?

This is a forum myth. There is absolutely no evidence to support that assertion. Certainly nothing on DVLA website, which you would expect.

You can't get a new licence without a local address, that's not the same thing. Using a false address to obtain or renew one is also a bad idea, not only because it likely involves a false declaration (illegal). But also, it is usually in someone's interest to establish tax non-residence and non-domicile status as soon as possible and using a false GB address to retain a driving licence is sending all the wrong signals to the tax authorities.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

For me, it was more of a security issue; I didn't want my photo card renewal going to a rented house in Windsor in 3 years. I very much doubt there's any uncertainty in my domicile; the P87, 2 years of overpaid taxes returned to me by HMRC, and a monthly direct debit for class 2 NICs is more proof than a driving license with either the wrong address, or a family residence..

Back on topic - I got pretty worried about satisfying the NYS requirements as;

"If you drive to the road test site, you must also bring an accompanying driver who is at least 21 years old and holds a license valid for operating the vehicle you will drive during the road test."
"The test vehicle and any accompanying vehicle must be properly registered, inspected, insured, and in good working condition." (from http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c28.htm)

So we rented a car from Hertz, and tried to get one with NY plates so it had the registration in the glove box and the tags on the windshield. My wife (NY license holder) drove and we took out the Hertz collision damage waiver and brought a copy of the Hertz Gold contract that says "If the person to be added on is your spouse, domestic partner or coworker, they are considered authorized operators and can operate the Hertz car without being added on".

After lining up for 20 mins at the Astoria test center, the examiner was super-professional and approached the car as my wife got out, he checked only my NY drivers permit and we went out for our lap. I either over prepared, or we were lucky. As my sample of one, I'd say I over-prepared...

Last edited by jaffy23; Nov 7th 2013 at 2:05 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
And your reference is ... ?

This is a forum myth. There is absolutely no evidence to support that assertion. Certainly nothing on DVLA website, which you would expect.

You can't get a new licence without a local address, that's not the same thing. Using a false address to obtain or renew one is also a bad idea, not only because it likely involves a false declaration (illegal). But also, it is usually in someone's interest to establish tax non-residence and non-domicile status as soon as possible and using a false GB address to retain a driving licence is sending all the wrong signals to the tax authorities.
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...018:01:EN:HTML

Article 7 para 1e

You must be normally resident in the issuing member state for the license to be valid.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 2:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...018:01:EN:HTML

Article 7 para 1e

You must be normally resident in the issuing member state for the license to be valid.
Sigh.
It doesn't say that. What it does say is that a driving licence may only be issued to a person who is a resident of the state concerned.

Perhaps stating the obvious, but this does not cause an existing licence to become invalid upon cessation of such residence.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I go with JAJ, it is about where you are when it is issued.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Perhaps stating the obvious, but this does not cause an existing licence to become invalid upon cessation of such residence.
You move house, without updating the address on the license and you can get a ticket for it.

Not being able to get a license with your new address because your no longer resident of the UK kind of implies that the license is in fact not valid.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I looked up the gov.uk site where you can do it online. Says you need to be UK resident.

Amusingly there was no mention of what happens if you can not update your address.

There would seem to be 2 options, you do not have to update your address or your license is no longer valid.

I seem to remember the old paper one allowed you to write it in.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 10:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I go with JAJ, it is about where you are when it is issued.
So am I, but honestly, as written the regulations don't seem to address what happens to the license if the licence holder ceases to be resident in the UK. I don't see that it says anything similar to "The licence ceases to be valid when the license holder ceases to be resident in the UK", and if that was what was intended I can't help but think that is what it would say.

It does say in Article 7, para 5
5. (a) No person may hold more than one driving licence;
but in the details then refers to licences issued by "member states", so is still ambiguous.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 7th 2013 at 10:19 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to change the address on my UK licence to my parents address when we first moved to the US. I actually spoke to a real person at the DVLA in Swansea and was told that I could only change the address to my permanent address in the UK when/if I returned.

I asked if the licence was still valid even though I had the wrong address on it, as I was concerned about the possibility of a £1000 fine for the wrong address and was told its fine to still use it while in the UK on holidays if hiring a car as all tickets go to the hire car company and not to the address on the licence. This would suggest that the licence is still valid.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 4:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by notonuksoil
I tried to change the address on my UK licence to my parents address when we first moved to the US. I actually spoke to a real person at the DVLA in Swansea and was told that I could only change the address to my permanent address in the UK when/if I returned.
It's not even the U.K. since the DVLA only covers England, Wales and Scotland. If you moved to Northern Ireland, there's a different driving licence system/authority.

The idea that driving licences become invalid when the holder moves out of jurisdiction is one of the forum myths that gains credence from repetition, but never with any real evidence to support it. There's nothing on the DVLA website that supports such assertion.

That said, if your plan is to establish non-resident/domicile in the U.K., it is not a good idea to use a U.K. address to obtain/renew a driving licence if you are no longer resident.