Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving license NY

Driving license NY

Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

LINY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving license NY

Here at last and finally trying to get my New York State driving license sorted process of written test done.. Waiting for provisional photo Card to come through but wanted to know a couple of questions.

I still have my UK driving license so presume, as I can find no information otherwise, that I am ok to drive still?

Secondly am hopefully doing my 5 hour pre license course next week on my temporary license presume this is ok? driving myself to the course presuming I am still ok to drive on my UK license!

Thirdly the road test.. I have a rental... Issued in my husbands name (he has yet to get his NYS license too) does he have to come with me to the road test and can I use the rental car for the test? I am assuming I can't drive in by myself!

The only issue with all the wonderful information out on the web it doesn't specify anything if you can currently drive!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers LINY

Last edited by LINY; Oct 31st 2013 at 4:48 pm. Reason: Spelling error
Old Oct 31st 2013, 5:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license NY

Yes to all questions!

I drove myself to my own NY test, and took it in a rental car. Driving solo to a US road test using a UK license is apparently not uncommon, someone else reported the same thing here on BE within the past few weeks.

Your UK licence is fine, so long as you're working towards getting your NY license it is highly unlikely anyone will bat an eyelid, though technically I think it is only good for 30 days after taking up residence in NY, however there is, in practice, no easy way for anyone (police) to determine what day was your first day of residence!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 31st 2013 at 5:11 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Samxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond repute

Your UK license is good until the time that they take it away....you realise that NY does that? That's why amongst other things like no city taxes to pay, lower sales taxes and almost sensible housing rental costs, I chose New Jersey to live. ( I work in manhattan so it's an easy choice for me)... You can get your license in a couple of hours as well. Realize that doesn't answer all your questions, as far as your license goes it's fine to
keep on using it.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes to all questions!

I drove myself to my own NY test, and took it in a rental car. Driving solo to a US road test using a UK license is apparently not uncommon, someone else reported the same thing here on BE within the past

Thanks for that my mind has been put at rest.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Samxboy
Your UK license is good until the time that they take it away....you realise that NY does that? That's why amongst other things like no city taxes to pay, lower sales taxes and almost sensible housing rental costs, I chose New Jersey to live. ( I work in manhattan so it's an easy choice for me)... You can get your license in a couple of hours as well. Realize that doesn't answer all your questions, as far as your license goes it's fine to
keep on using it.
Unluckily New Jersey is just too far a commute for the job!
Old Oct 31st 2013, 5:30 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Your UK license is good until the time that they take it away....you realise that NY does that?
Only if you are applying for a license while visiting, remaining resident overseas. As a new resident you get treated just like everyone else....take the tests, pass, get given a NYS license.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 5:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Only if you are applying for a license while visiting, remaining resident overseas. As a new resident you get treated just like everyone else....take the tests, pass, get given a NYS license.
That's how it worked for me. And they did most certainly not take my British licence from me!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 1:07 am
Just Joined

davejc will become famous soon enough

Hey,

I'm about to do this myself, what documents should I be taking with me to the DMV? i'm going to hit what I believe is a relatively quiet one where I now live (Seneca Falls!) I just wanted to make sure I take all the right things!

thinking Soc Sec Card, Passport, I797?

Thanks in advance

David
Old Nov 4th 2013, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

Your UK license is good until the time that they take it away....you realise that NY does that?
Both myself and OH took our tests in NY and both still have our UK licences - neither of had to hand them in
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 hours
Old Nov 7th 2013, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Yes to all questions!

I drove myself to my own NY test, and took it in a rental car. Driving solo to a US road test using a UK license is apparently not uncommon, someone else reported the same thing here on BE within the past few weeks.

Your UK licence is fine, so long as you're working towards getting your NY license it is highly unlikely anyone will bat an eyelid, though technically I think it is only good for 30 days after taking up residence in NY, however there is, in practice, no easy way for anyone (police) to determine what day was your first day of residence!
Pulaski quick question... Did you show just your uk license when you took yourself to the test? The reason I ask I have had the 5 hr pre licensing course and was told I wouldn't be able to take myself unless I had an international license, but I'm not sure if he meant foreign or international (as in the translation of our uk licence... As in my haste to get here I forgot to get that bit!)

As for getting a licence in 30 days I can't find any tests till the beginning of December so no idea how that can be achieved!

Last edited by LINY; Nov 7th 2013 at 6:09 am. Reason: Missed an important word!
Old Nov 7th 2013, 6:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
5 hours
Or there abouts!
Old Nov 7th 2013, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by LINY
Pulaski quick question... Did you show just your uk license when you took yourself to the test? The reason I ask I have had the 5 hr pre licensing course and was told I wouldn't be able to take myself unless I had an international license, but I'm not sure if he meant foreign or international (as in the translation of our uk licence... As in my haste to get here I forgot to get that bit!) ....
I think so, but I know for sure that it was NOT the "international license". I never had one because they are worthless if your license is already in/includes English.
As for getting a licence in 30 days I can't find any tests till the beginning of December so no idea how that can be achieved!
I had that problem too, but worse. In early December 2001 the next available local test in Westchester County was in late February! Mrs P started trawling county web sites for me, looking further and further north and west across the state, until she found a test slot available the next week in Herkimer, so that is where I did my US road test!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 7th 2013 at 10:10 am.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

I had that problem too, but worse. In early December 2001 the next available local test in Westchester County was in late February! Mrs P started trawling county web sites for me, looking further and further north and west across the state, until she found a test slot available the next week in Herkimer, so that is where I did my US road test!
Thanks... Unfortunately being on Long Island my choices remain limited! Not to mention several road test sites with no available appointments online! Think I will be ringing them to see if I can get this sorted earlier as per their 30 day requirements!
Old Nov 7th 2013, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely kept my UK driving license. Actually I updated the address to my parents house and sent in to the DVLA from here!

The 5 hour pre-licensing is a doozy. I did mine from 5-10pm in the city...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.