Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving license/insurance questions

Driving license/insurance questions

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving license/insurance questions

Just checked out the DMV site for MS and it looks like we can a apply and get a license for a year:

http://www.dmv.org/ms-mississippi/ap...e_Requirements

(I realise that's not the official DMV site, but hopefully the info is correct)

So, do you think that one year license will be acceptable for most car insurers? I'm not permitted to work so does that mean I don't get a SS number, and does that in turn mean I will have any problems applying for a driving test?
I have the old style driving license which has no photo, do you think they'll accept it?

Sorry for all the questions..
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license/insurance questions

If you have time I'd seriously consider getting a photocard license before you go.

DMV/BMV personnel are not known for even understanding their own rules, I'd have as much ammo as you can get.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

read the official state site for requirements...I can't be arsed, but, but most would let you if you aren't entitled to a SSN, that you get a letter stating so from the SS office.

UK license, leave it at home, won't make a difference if it's a photo one or not and it won't get you from starting from scratch.

Insurance, just ring around, but it'll depend on the state, though you probably won't have trouble getting insurance, just getting a decent rate till you've got credit history.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The real DMV site you need.

Non-U.S. Citizen Information

If you are a non-U.S. citizen, you must meet all other requirements for obtaining an operator's license or identification card except for providing a social security card. The license or identification card will be valid for one (1) year from date of issuance.

You must present valid immigration papers, including a birth certificate (translated by a state run university), passport, I-94, proof of domicile and alien resident card (if you have one).
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
UK license, leave it at home, won't make a difference if it's a photo one or not and it won't get you from starting from scratch.
Only leave your UK license at home if you are sure that you will not want to rent a car any time before you get your US license ...
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

blindlemonjefferson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and I was wondering whether any of you may be able to help me. This thread seemed like a good place to post this.

I'm about to purchase a car, and I'm trying to get myself insured. All the insurance companies I've spoken to have told me that my the cost of my policy depends on the amount of years I've been driving, rather than the country in which my license is held. I've been driving for 3 years in the UK, and if I can prove that I've been driving accident-free for this time, my insurance will be much cheaper.

Unfortunately, the insurance company needs a driving history, which as far as I know, doesn't exist in Britain. The only thing I can think of doing is showing them my driving license (which shows that I have no points) and showing them paperwork from my insurance company which proves that I have a 3 year no claims bonus. This doesn't seem to be enough for them though, as there's no way of proving that my counterpart driving license is current and up to date (I could be showing them a copy of my counterpart license from before I got any points). Also, considering that I'm dealing with insurance companies, they naturally want to scam me out of every penny they possibly can. Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so how did you deal with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Adam
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blindlemonjefferson
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and I was wondering whether any of you may be able to help me. This thread seemed like a good place to post this.

I'm about to purchase a car, and I'm trying to get myself insured. All the insurance companies I've spoken to have told me that my the cost of my policy depends on the amount of years I've been driving, rather than the country in which my license is held. I've been driving for 3 years in the UK, and if I can prove that I've been driving accident-free for this time, my insurance will be much cheaper.

Unfortunately, the insurance company needs a driving history, which as far as I know, doesn't exist in Britain. The only thing I can think of doing is showing them my driving license (which shows that I have no points) and showing them paperwork from my insurance company which proves that I have a 3 year no claims bonus. This doesn't seem to be enough for them though, as there's no way of proving that my counterpart driving license is current and up to date (I could be showing them a copy of my counterpart license from before I got any points). Also, considering that I'm dealing with insurance companies, they naturally want to scam me out of every penny they possibly can. Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so how did you deal with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Adam
Consider it a special premium for being fresh off the boat.

How to get it down:
* don't have accidents,
* get your credit score started and up,
* shop it around at every renewal,
* driver a jalopy and do minimum coverage only -- old Saturns are great -- but make sure you've got external health coverage in case of accident.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Only leave your UK license at home if you are sure that you will not want to rent a car any time before you get your US license ...
By leaving it home, I meant in the home you'll be in, in the US, not back in blighty....that would be daft
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by blindlemonjefferson
Depends on the state...most it's just a sales blurb to hook you in...

In Mass, the paper portion or a record faxed from the DVLA to show 3 years clear would hook you on as an 18 year old rather than a fresh 16 year old, so you'd save a few pennies.

The only real saving would be being over 25 and having a good credit history.

Search the forums, plenty of topics on the subject, and the search function is working now too.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

The following comments are based on the driver being on an immigrant visa:

Originally Posted by Bob
By leaving it home, I meant in the home you'll be in, in the US, not back in blighty....that would be daft
I still think you will have problems with that in most states. Otherwise anyone could just walk in and say "I have been driving for 10 years in another country, let me take the test."

You need to show you have the requisite driving hours behind the wheel, AFAIK. So that's either by applying for a learner's permit, then having some way to prove you have been driving with that for the requisite number of hours, or by producing your previous license.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Consider it a special premium for being fresh off the boat.

How to get it down:
* don't have accidents,
* get your credit score started and up,
* shop it around at every renewal,
* driver a jalopy and do minimum coverage only -- old Saturns are great -- but make sure you've got external health coverage in case of accident.
OMG the sky must be falling - we actually agree on something.

Got Keith a little old Saturn - and I love the thing.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
OMG the sky must be falling - we actually agree on something.

Got Keith a little old Saturn - and I love the thing.
Stick, I hope?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Stick, I hope?
Nope.

I would LOVE a stick, I still miss mine. But Keith's just learning how to drive (he lived in the city for years in the UK, never got around to getting his license). So an automatic is one notch easier.

Sigh... some day I'll get my little stick sports car...
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:40 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Tracym
Nope.

I would LOVE a stick, I still miss mine. But Keith's just learning how to drive (he lived in the city for years in the UK, never got around to getting his license). So an automatic is one notch easier.

Sigh... some day I'll get my little stick sports car...
Pity!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

blindlemonjefferson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on the state...most it's just a sales blurb to hook you in...

In Mass, the paper portion or a record faxed from the DVLA to show 3 years clear would hook you on as an 18 year old rather than a fresh 16 year old, so you'd save a few pennies.

The only real saving would be being over 25 and having a good credit history.

Search the forums, plenty of topics on the subject, and the search function is working now too.
Yeah, I'm in Mass. Problem with the paper part of my license is that it isn't dated. The woman i spoke to at the insurance office quite rightly pointed out that, considering there was no date, the document could be from before I got any points on my license.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.