Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving license in CT and drugs and alcohol course

Driving license in CT and drugs and alcohol course

Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

beaglette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving license in CT and drugs and alcohol course

We've just relocated to CT from CA, where I didn't get a US driving license as I was under the impression that I couldn't because I couldn't get a SS number (it actually turns out that I could have done, but that is irrelevant now as we no longer live there!). We now have the GC, so I can get a SS number and everything, but to do the driving test in CT you have to take an 8 hour course for teens on safe driving. I wouldn't have a problem doing this (apart from the fact that it is incredibly boring, but I can do boring), or the written and practical tests, if I didn't have a very small child who I am not prepared to leave for 2 blocks of 4 hours over the weekend.

Whilst we were in CA, my dh was stopped on several occasions by the police (he rides a motorcycle and it was over minor issues like being stopped on the wrong line etc.), and every time they just said he needed to exchange his license for a US one, but no fine or anything. Several people at his workplace also had the same thing happen to them, and no problems. Does this mean they were just very lucky, and is the maximum penalty a fine? Exchanging for a Canadian license seems very straightforward (passport and UK license) - has anyone gone this route and then swapped for a US license? It may sound crazy, but I really do need to drive and I really would like to do so by the book.

Many thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license in CT and drugs and alcohol course

I'm assuming you meant exchanging a Canadian license for a Connecticut State license. I'm not familiar with CT state DMV so you might just want to look at their website for definite info. But if it is the same are NYS, then it is a swap.

I will caution your husband, however, to be sure that the DVM marks his new license with the ability to ride a bike as is noted (I hope) on his Canadian license. They failed to note this on my DH's and it was a big hassle later to have it added without having to take the test again.

As for driving course, it is mandatory and you have to sit through it. Your DH can watch the kiddie while you go to your two classes. You don't do it, it don't get a license. It is just that simply.

PS Folks this poster is not talking California but Canada when she uses CA. Then again she might be.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 9th 2011 at 2:51 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm assuming you meant exchanging a Canadian license for a Connecticut State license. I'm not familiar with CT state DMV so you might just want to look at their website for definite info. But if it is the same are NYS, then it is a swap.

I will caution your husband, however, to be sure that the DVM marks his new license with the ability to ride a bike as is noted (I hope) on his Canadian license. They failed to note this on my DH's and it was a big hassle later to have it added without having to take the test again.

As for driving course, it is mandatory and you have to sit through it. Your DH can watch the kiddie while you go to your two classes. You don't do it, it don't get a license. It is just that simply.

PS Folks this poster is not talking California but Canada when she uses CA. Then again she might be.
Oh dear, my apologies for the CA confusion - just had the 'flu, must have gone to the brain :-)

I was referring to California with CA...never been to Canada. And unfortunately hubbie watching kiddie is not an option - he hasn't learnt to breastfeed yet!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beaglette
Oh dear, my apologies for the CA confusion - just had the 'flu, must have gone to the brain :-)

I was referring to California with CA...never been to Canada. And unfortunately hubbie watching kiddie is not an option - he hasn't learnt to breastfeed yet!
Oh, and I meant swapping a UK license for a Canadian one, and then swapping the Canaian for a US one.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought. My advice on the motorcycle license remains the same.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:29 pm
Concierge

You have one of them like my daughter. She decided that it was easier for her to express the milk and let hubby have a go at it so she could get away for a few hours. Three kids and she needs a break now and again. Her daughter is 6 months and won't drink it from a bottle but will from a sippy cup.

BTW you can bring her with you.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

That's what I thought. My advice on the motorcycle license remains the same.
Thanks for that - he wasn't sure whether he was going to have to do 2 tests..he'll be happy!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

We have lived in CT for the last 11 months and both me and my hubby sat the driving test over here.

We had to do the 8 hour drugs/alcohol course which we did in 2 sittings. It was boring but unfortunately it is mandatory to get a CT license. You need the yellow slip they give you to go forward for the written and practical exams. The multiple choice 25 question paper on the computer was fine and then you sit your practical. We had to go to Waterbury to sit the practical as Danbury was too busy. It was okay, drove around for about 10 minutes and had to reverse park. Passed okay.

As for leaving your wee one, express the milk and let your OH take a turn. It's only 2 lots of 4 hours and once you have your license, you'll be free to take your wee one wherever you like, whenever you like.

Welcome to Connecticut by the way, we love it here and hope you can settle in okay
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You have one of them like my daughter. She decided that it was easier for her to express the milk and let hubby have a go at it so she could get away for a few hours....
Breastpumps, check medical insurance, some will cover the cost of them, some will only in some circumstances and some will just laugh in your face.

If it's something that's going to be done more than once, stump for the better and more expensive electric ones, hand ones are rubbish and the cheaper electric ones do sound like a jet plane and look like they're doing a car wash
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Breastpumps, check medical insurance, some will cover the cost of them, some will only in some circumstances and some will just laugh in your face.

If it's something that's going to be done more than once, stump for the better and more expensive electric ones, hand ones are rubbish and the cheaper electric ones do sound like a jet plane and look like they're doing a car wash
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob

Lol - not quite sure how this ended up as a thread on breastpumps, but thanks anyway!

The driving instructor at the school today said there was no need to stress about the 60 day limit - as long as I have a license there shouldn't be a problem, they aren't that strict apparently. So I'll wait until ds is a little bigger and get it sorted then.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol - not quite sure how this ended up as a thread on breastpumps, but thanks anyway!

The driving instructor at the school today said there was no need to stress about the 60 day limit - as long as I have a license there shouldn't be a problem, they aren't that strict apparently. So I'll wait until ds is a little bigger and get it sorted then.

Thanks again.
If that's the case, you need to make sure that your insurance is valid.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67
If that's the case, you need to make sure that your insurance is valid.
Yes, hubby is main driver and they're ok with me (just more expensive!)
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, hubby is main driver and they're ok with me (just more expensive!)
But if you were to be in an accident and were found not to have a current US drivers license and the LAW says you should have one within 60 days of living in your state, would you then be covered?
An unlicensed driver recently plowed into me and caused thousands and thousands of dollars worth of damage...he was ticketed and if this were to happen to you then it could effect your immigration status.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

In CT the limit is 30 days on your UK license from the date you become a resident:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=805&Q=244776&dmvPNavCtr=|28069|#28073

Once you have established residency in Connecticut, you have 30 days to transfer your out-of-state license to Connecticut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.