Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driving license

driving license

Old Oct 22nd 2001, 12:59 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Folks,

Consider that the driver should always be on the center side of the road rather than the curb side, and you'll find that we're all driving on the same side.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Di Martin
LOL Doug I agree 100% I too have an international license and once I got started when
I visited over there I was fine only thing was my first day back in Australia I drove
a whole block on the wrong side of the road!!

Di (Australia) Randy (KY)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 22nd 2001, 3:55 pm
Doug Melville

I just kept reaching for the gearstick and getting the doorhandle instead

ooh... and looking like an idiot getting out of the supermarket and climbin in the
passenger door.... who stole the wheel ??

Doug

http://www.marriagebasedvisas.org/ho...elanie-n-Doug/

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 22nd 2001, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

andrewdean is an unknown quantity at this point

To get my driving licence here in Arizona I required my SSN card, EAD and Passport. The License issued is only valid as long as the EAD and hence has to be renewed every year.

The practical part of getting the license was a multiple choice exam followed by a 20 minute drive.
Old Oct 23rd 2001, 2:05 am
Doug Melville

Thanks Andrew, some practical information at last .... curious as to why they require
the EAD tho '?

I mean, you dont have to be working to drive a car??

Doug

http://www.marriagebasedvisas.org/ho...elanie-n-Doug/

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 23rd 2001, 6:51 am
Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
<snip> I don't know what laws apply in Louisiana, but in Wisconsin if you marry
someone without a pre-nup, from the second you are married, what is his is hers, and
what is hers is his. This includes debts as well as assets. It makes no difference
who's name is on the title, deed, account, etc. or how long someone has owned
something. Wisconsin is a marital property state (that's what the law is called
anyway) Take Care. Shelley

Old Oct 23rd 2001, 1:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that is one hell of a bad state to be a married couple in. Even California is not that bad. In New York and Virginia (that I know of first hand), property and debts accrued prior to a marriage belongs only to the person in whose name it is held. After the marriage, the difference in property value, i.e. real estate, which has increased over the course of the marraige is the only part which can be claimed by a divorcing spouse as assets. In case of death or divorce any debt incurred prior to the marriage is the sole debt of the person who incurred it prior to marriage.

In neither state is a pre-nupital agreement required to separate before assets and/or debts.

Rita

who has written and worked on many pre-nups in the base 15 years and who has lived through divorce in NYS and in VA
Old Oct 23rd 2001, 2:03 pm
Paulgani

It's called community property, and there are 3 exemptions. One - property you
possessed prior to marriage, two - property you've inherited, and three - property
you've received as a gift. All three remain individual property, even in a community
property state, UNLESS, the property is co-mingled (for example, depositing a gift
check in a joint account).

Community property means that all assets and debts acquired AFTER marriage are the
property of both, even if only one person is on the title/deed/contract. In a NON
Community property state, spouses can still individually purchase and control
property independently.

Paulgani

>

[usenetquote2]> > Your post is unbelievable. First off because Louisana property laws in terms of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > divorce settlement is 50/50 doesn't mean you own 1/2 of your wife's car when you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > marry. Any property (this is the case in most community property states) that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > belonged outright to one spouse before marriage, remains sole property of that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > spouse after marriage.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
anyway)
    >

Old Oct 23rd 2001, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

andrewdean is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason I used my EAD is that you have to be legally resident in AZ to get a driving license here. This also means in a state that is right on the border that we have a lot of people who are not here legally and hence cannot get a license and insurance. Therefore we have a lot of uninsured drivers.
Old Oct 24th 2001, 12:42 am
Michael Voight

Shelley wrote:
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Your post is unbelievable. First off because Louisana property laws in terms of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > divorce settlement is 50/50 doesn't mean you own 1/2 of your wife's car when you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > marry. Any property (this is the case in most community property states) that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > belonged outright to one spouse before marriage, remains sole property of that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > spouse after marriage.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Not that I am aware of.. In community property states, this applies to assets and
debts incurred in marriage. In non community property states, assests and debts
incurred after marriage can be individual assets and debts

Michael

Old Oct 24th 2001, 1:47 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I looked up the property settlement laws for the State of Wisconsin today after reading Shelley's post and she is correct. It clearly states (and I'm at home not in the office where I have the Section reference to give if wanted) that all property brought INTO the marriage with the exception of inherited property is considered community property.

This is a long way from the community property statutes in most equitable states.

Rita
Old Oct 24th 2001, 2:15 am
Michael Voight

Rete wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
And debts??

Old Oct 24th 2001, 2:27 am
Michael Voight

Rete wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

The law actually isn't that clear cut. You left out quite a bit In addition to
inherited property, the law discusses survivorship, hardship to a party or their
children, life insurance proceeds, ect.

Among other considerations.

Length of marriage Amount of propety brought into the marriage Earning capacity of
each party The desireability of awarding the family home or right therein to the
party having physical placement for a longer period of time the tax consequences of
each party any written agreement made by each party etc..

Old Oct 24th 2001, 2:43 am
Concierge

MV wrote:

The law actually isn't that clear cut. You left out quite a bit In addition to
inherited property, the law discusses survivorship, hardship to a party or their
children, life insurance proceeds, ect.

Among other considerations.

Length of marriage Amount of propety brought into the marriage Earning capacity of
each party The desireability of awarding the family home or right therein to the
party having physical placement for a longer period of time the tax consequences of
each party any written agreement made by each party etc..
--------

It is that clear cut. Discussions of survivorship, hardship, division of property based on awarding of custody and/or tax consequences have nothing to do with ownership of property but instead with the division of the property based on the courts interpretation of need, etc.

Length of marriage in any fair judical judgment would be a deciding factor. That is and was not the issue of the post. The issue was if the car owned by a person prior to marriage is now owned by both parties after marriage and if the insurance has a right to deny insurability because the foreign spouse does not have a driver's license and/or Permanent Residency.

The issues you are referring to are issues that deal with the division of community property not what constitutes community property.

Rita
Old Oct 24th 2001, 5:23 am
Shelley

Most definitely debts. If you look at the back of most credit card applications, you
will see a special section for Wisconsin residents. Basically, if one spouse applies
for credit, the other spouse will be notified. The other spouse can't stop one from
getting credit, but is still liable for the debt. My ex had several unpaid medical
bills from the time we were separated, but our divorce was not final. The collection
agency found me, and I had 10 days to pay or have them appear on my credit report. As
I was trying to get a mortgage for a new home, they got paid. My ex thinks its very
funny. Take Care. Shelley

>
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I looked up the property settlement laws for the State of Wisconsin today after[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > reading Shelley's post and she is correct. It clearly states (and I'm at home not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > in the office where I have the Section reference to give if wanted) that all[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > property brought INTO the marriage with the exception of inherited property is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > considered community property.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Oct 24th 2001, 5:38 am
Shelley

Wisconsin is not a community property state - it is a marital property state. There
is a difference. Once you are married there is no difference between his and hers -
it is all ours and that is the way the law sees it. One spouse may control an asset,
or obtain a loan without the other's signature, but the asset/debt still "belongs" to
both spouses. I've lived here all my life, and been through two divorces. To the best
of my knowledge - Wisconsin and North Carolina are the only states with these laws.
Most states are still Common Law states. I used to have know this stuff for my old
job, but its been three years since I worked there, so I just don't remember it all
anymore. Take Care. Shelley

>
property
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.