Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Licences - Colorado

Driving Licences - Colorado

Old Oct 14th 2012, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice
Default Driving Licences - Colorado

Hello All

I've had a look at the wiki and done some searching but struggling to find any clarity on how to obtain a Colorado driving licence?

The DMV link for Colorado appears to tell me literally everything but!

I'm headed to CO on a K1 visa - how does one go about doing this? I understand I have 30 days once entering the USA on a permanent basis in order to obtain the licence.

Phil
Old Oct 14th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences - Colorado

http://www.colorado.gov/apps/dor/dmv...ultLicense.jsf

Take a look at the official gov site for CO. ^^
Old Oct 14th 2012, 4:16 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I had to take a driving test when I came here in '91. At that time, I went to the local DMV and took care of everything there. You'll find the nearest office listed here.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1186476450044
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice

Yes, I've found the bits indicated, just not actually how does one book on? I may just head to the Colorado Springs DMV when I'm on one of my visits (Nov and January) and get the relevant, forms advice and fees there.

Also I've read in a couple of places you need a certificate of tuition? Is this still required in CO?

Thanks all for your help.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COSPhil
Yes, I've found the bits indicated, just not actually how does one book on? I may just head to the Colorado Springs DMV when I'm on one of my visits (Nov and January) and get the relevant, forms advice and fees there.

Also I've read in a couple of places you need a certificate of tuition? Is this still required in CO?

Thanks all for your help.
In both the states that I've lived in (MI and TX) you have to go in person with all the relevant paperwork to be able to book a test. You could always call and ask?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have plenty of time. You will need EAD to apply.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
You have plenty of time. You will need EAD to apply.
Oh really? Can I use my UK DL until EAD? I read that you can only do that for 30 days?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 2:35 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember anything about having to have an EAD. I don't think I had one when I took my test. In fact, I can't have done because I was here on a visa that allowed me to be here for a year - sorry can't remember what it was called - but I couldn't work. However, I did have a bank account, buy a car and have a drivers license. Could have all changed now though. I think evidence that you live in the Springs will be required - bank account with your address on it, something like that.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I don't remember anything about having to have an EAD. I don't think I had one when I took my test. In fact, I can't have done because I was here on a visa that allowed me to be here for a year - sorry can't remember what it was called - but I couldn't work. However, I did have a bank account, buy a car and have a drivers license. Could have all changed now though. I think evidence that you live in the Springs will be required - bank account with your address on it, something like that.
With all due respect, a lot has changed since 9/11 and most states require you to show evidence of legal status.
OP, if you follow the link I gave you you will find a list of acceptable documents. Don't know if an EAD is required...take a look at the list
Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

90 days to obtain residency and then 30 days to get the license.

A quickie marriage and prompt adjustment app and should be doable.

Looks like they may have changed the wording, I think you may be considered a visitor until GC, difficult to tell now.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
90 days to obtain residency and then 30 days to get the license.

A quickie marriage and prompt adjustment app and should be doable.

Looks like they may have changed the wording, I think you may be considered a visitor until GC, difficult to tell now.
I think my safest route is to head into the DMV when I'm over in November and go from there.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

My experiences with the DMV have been variable to say the least, the only time I got somebody to go out of their way was when in conversation we realised we had a mutual contact so good luck.

Allow plenty of time, 3 hour wait on my last visit.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by COSPhil
I think my safest route is to head into the DMV when I'm over in November and go from there.
Good plan. Avoid Monday mornings and lunch times. Give yourself plenty of time. Take plenty of water and something to eat. You may be there a while.

P.S. Lunchtime is anything from 11:30 onwards