Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence query

Driving Licence query

Old Dec 14th 2012, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving Licence query

Evening all
just a quicky regarding my driving licence.

I took my test on 26th Oct and just received my licence today in CA. My licence has an expiry date which is the same as my conditional green card - next July.
Is this the same for everyone? Once i apply to remove conditions early next spring then I guess i have to apply to have my licence extended?

thanks!!
Old Dec 14th 2012, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence query

I was in CA on an H-1B and had a license that expired the same day as the I-94, October 2012. I adjusted status to permanent resident based on marriage, went to the DMV to renew the license (no charge) and for some reason they gave me one valid until my birthday in June 2014. My conditional green card expires at the end of August 2014, so I don't know why the DMV gave me that expiry date. I guess I will have to renew it once before it expires, again after I get the extension letter from my I-751, and yet again once I have the 10-year green card. What a hassle.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 2:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
I took my test on 26th Oct and just received my licence today in CA. My licence has an expiry date which is the same as my conditional green card - next July.
Is this the same for everyone?
Yes.

Once i apply to remove conditions early next spring then I guess i have to apply to have my licence extended?
Yes, you will apply for a new license which will show the new expiration date of your status in the USA (the expiration of the 10-year green card).

You can expect that to keep happening until you become a USC.

Rene
Old Dec 14th 2012, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes.

Yes, you will apply for a new license which will show the new expiration date of your status in the USA (the expiration of the 10-year green card).

Rene
Thanks Rene...it makes sense..I just didn't anticipate it
Old Dec 14th 2012, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by henryh
I was in CA on an H-1B and had a license that expired the same day as the I-94, October 2012. I adjusted status to permanent resident based on marriage, went to the DMV to renew the license (no charge) and for some reason they gave me one valid until my birthday in June 2014. My conditional green card expires at the end of August 2014, so I don't know why the DMV gave me that expiry date. I guess I will have to renew it once before it expires, again after I get the extension letter from my I-751, and yet again once I have the 10-year green card. What a hassle.
Guess as Rene has said it will be this way whilst we have a GC....good luck to u
Old Dec 14th 2012, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
When did you originally get your license?

California drivers licenses have to be renewed every 5 years and they expire on your birthday so it sounds like what they did was just extend the validity of the original license to whatever its "normal" expiration date would have been if you had not originally been here on a temporary visa.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 6:22 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes.

Rene
Forgive me for questioning this. I am in Florida. My 10year GC is valid till 2017. My Fl Drivers licence expired this year on my birthday. My new one is valid till 2020. I don't see how it is related to my GC. (I believe it was in the early days thoughh)
Old Dec 14th 2012, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Forgive me for questioning this. I am in Florida. My 10year GC is valid till 2017. My Fl Drivers licence expired this year on my birthday. My new one is valid till 2020. I don't see how it is related to my GC. (I believe it was in the early days thoughh)
Yes - you are correct - once you are a permanent resident (as opposed to being here on a temporary visa such as an H1-B) you should find yourself getting a driver's license that is valid for however long your state issues them for. That is certainly the way that it was and is for me in CA.

I am not sure how it is supposed to work if you only have a 2 year green card with conditions - the OP says that her license expires on the same date as her 2 year card but who knows whether the DMV got that right or not ...

Last edited by md95065; Dec 14th 2012 at 6:52 am.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of asking a really dumb question....

Is this really necessary? Can't UKCs drive legally using their UK licence, or are we obligated to do the relevant tests, pay the fees, and acquire a state licence on arrival in America?
Old Dec 14th 2012, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

That depends on whether you are just visiting - in which case most States will allow you to drive for up to 12 months on your UK license - if, however, you become a "resident" as defined by that state, then you usually need to get a driver's license from that state within a fairly short period of time (in California it is 10 days ...)
Old Dec 14th 2012, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
When did you originally get your license?

California drivers licenses have to be renewed every 5 years and they expire on your birthday so it sounds like what they did was just extend the validity of the original license to whatever its "normal" expiration date would have been if you had not originally been here on a temporary visa.
That's plausible. I originally got my CA license in late 2009 or early 2010. Thanks.