Driving Lessons

Wikiposts

Driving Lessons

Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:12 am
Just Joined

partybonkers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Lessons

Hi all first post here,

I am gong to be movong to Ohio in the next 4-5 months to live with my wife. I never learned to drive over here alhough i was taking lessons for a while last year but then stopped because we thought, whats the point in learning over here, then having to obey new rules over in America and basically driving a completely different way the other side of the road etc, so we thought it would be a waste of money.
As soon as I get over there I need to get a license as soon as possible, So i am thinking what can i do over here in preperation to make it as easy and qucickly as possible, obviously can't get amerian driving lessons over here that would be silly?.
Maybe the theory side of it, can anyone give me any avice on what they may have done. Thank You
Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Lessons

Go to the Ohio DMV website. You'll have a written test to do so - there will probably be a manual to study.
Driving is driving whatever side of the road it is on - may as well get as much practice as you can.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by partybonkers
Hi all first post here,

I am gong to be movong to Ohio in the next 4-5 months to live with my wife. I never learned to drive over here alhough i was taking lessons for a while last year but then stopped because we thought, whats the point in learning over here, then having to obey new rules over in America and basically driving a completely different way the other side of the road etc, so we thought it would be a waste of money.
As soon as I get over there I need to get a license as soon as possible, So i am thinking what can i do over here in preperation to make it as easy and qucickly as possible, obviously can't get amerian driving lessons over here that would be silly?.
Maybe the theory side of it, can anyone give me any avice on what they may have done. Thank You
Try looking for Ohio Secretary of Sate website, should have section for DMV with driving rules. Also I have found this website http://driversprep.com/index.php?clear
it is really helpful with DMV written test questions. Going to take Michigan written test today - here we need to do written and driven test, not sure about other states.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

The point is that 95% of what you learn in the UK will be directly applicable to driving in the US and you will probably find it much easier to learn to drive in an environment that you are familiar with rather than waiting until you get to the US.

If you want to get a license as soon as possible once you are in the US then you should learn to drive and get a license before you go to the US and then apply for a license as soon as you can once you are in the US.

As others have already said, you can read up on the local rules for your state online before you leave and that will cover everything that is in the written test.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:25 am
Just Joined

partybonkers is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you every one, some useful stuff there, I thnk what i will do is take some more lessons to get me more polished up on paractical skills, at the same time learning as much of the theory as i can before i go, Thanks

Last edited by partybonkers; Jul 18th 2012 at 2:29 am.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:56 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

If there's any way it is practical to squeeze it in before you go, it might be worthwhile trying to pass your test and get the UK license. Not all states are the same but you should be allowed a certain amount of time to use your UK license to drive so you can get a bit of practice in before doing your US test. Usually it's 90 days but can vary depending on the state.

I couldn't find specifics on the Ohio DMV site but I only had a cursory glance, maybe if you can call them (or if your wife is living out here, have her call) to see if they can tell you exactly how long you'd be able to use your UK license, should you be able to get one in time.

The period of time I was able to drive here in Illinois on my UK license when I moved was invaluable for gaining experience driving about here before I did my test. Especially driving to O'Hare airport to pick up my parents on my own on the Interstate for the first time ever
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a UK license, you might be required to have a learners permit for x months before being allowed to take the test and certainly required to have x number of hours on the road and at night.

The DMV website for the state will tell you this.

It would be best to learn how to drive in the UK, because you'll then actually learn how to drive properly, because you don't generally in the US, it seems you just need to know not to stall a automatic and drive forward to pass and the expectation will be that you learn with experience once you get your license. Certainly from watching kids driving around where I am at least.

Oh, just googles, Ohio call it the BMV - Bureau instead of Department. - http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/dl_new_driver.stm

So it seems you're all set, a zombie should be able to pass that, with a hang over.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 3:06 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
If there's any way it is practical to squeeze it in before you go, it might be worthwhile trying to pass your test and get the UK license. Not all states are the same but you should be allowed a certain amount of time to use your UK license to drive so you can get a bit of practice in before doing your US test. Usually it's 90 days but can vary depending on the state.

I couldn't find specifics on the Ohio DMV site but I only had a cursory glance, maybe if you can call them (or if your wife is living out here, have her call) to see if they can tell you exactly how long you'd be able to use your UK license, should you be able to get one in time.

The period of time I was able to drive here in Illinois on my UK license when I moved was invaluable for gaining experience driving about here before I did my test. Especially driving to O'Hare airport to pick up my parents on my own on the Interstate for the first time ever
I remember my first driving experience on the freeway. I was 16 in the Los Angeles area, I believe it was I-5. Having only been driving for a week or two it was a bit intimidating. You do adapt fairly quickly though.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 3:11 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I remember my first driving experience on the freeway. I was 16 in the Los Angeles area, I believe it was I-5. Having only been driving for a week or two it was a bit intimidating. You do adapt fairly quickly though.
I had a bit easier of a time, given that I had some motorway experience, and I was 26, but it was the first time I had driven more than a few miles on my own here, on the left and in an automatic.

Funnily enough, my first job after getting my EAD was a driving job. It was a great way to get to know the area, I ended up being able to direct locals after a while
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:44 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar early experience driving to Tampa airport for my parents in rush hour. Could not understand the road signs. Got in wrong lane/off at wrong exit, turned into an industrial park. Quite traumatic. (I had been driving in UK for 15 years, but not driven at all for 2 or 3 years)
Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:42 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by RICH
I had a similar early experience driving to Tampa airport for my parents in rush hour. Could not understand the road signs. Got in wrong lane/off at wrong exit, turned into an industrial park. Quite traumatic. (I had been driving in UK for 15 years, but not driven at all for 2 or 3 years)
I had just done my best to memorize every route I'd been driven along as a passenger on my last visit. Apart from almost missing a lane change/interstate split, I did OK.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Driving Lessons

Hi all first post here,

Whatever Town/City you are moving to while probably have some sort of a Community College. They will most likely offer "Driver's Ed" courses which are quite popular with new arrivals, such as yourself.

Jim.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I had just done my best to memorize every route I'd been driven along as a passenger on my last visit. Apart from almost missing a lane change/interstate split, I did OK.
The locals/express lanes on Hwy 53 and 90, by any chance?????

Jim.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:54 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
The locals/express lanes on Hwy 53 and 90, by any chance?????

Jim.
I was on 294, I almost ended up on 90, instead of splitting left in order to get the off-ramp for 190.

Now I just take 12 all the way down because I'm too tight to pay the toll
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

I was on 294, I almost ended up on 90, instead of splitting left in order to get the off-ramp for 190.

Now I just take 12 all the way down because I'm too tight to pay the toll
I Understand. The locals and express lanes on 53 always caught me out, at first.

Jim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.