Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in Denver

Driving in Denver

Old Aug 20th 2009, 12:39 am
Just Joined

lazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nice
Default Driving in Denver

As I understand it:

1) A visitor can drive up to a year on a UK license but a permanent resident has to do a whole new test.

2) The same applies to Motorbike licenses.

I am moving over as a spouse. i.e. permanent resident.
(moving issues+new driving license)=bummer.
Does anyone know if you can use your UK license at all on a permanent residence visa?

Also. I am a motorbike person. Riding in snow and ice is a generally bad idea. I hear in the winter this can be quite common in Denver and therefore may put into doubt using 2 wheels as your main commuting option.
Double bummer.
Any light shedders in the house?

I am proficient on bikes but have never driven a car in my life.
tripple bummer and out.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 12:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Denver

#1: driving tests here are not the arduous experience they seem to be in the UK.

#2: you're a resident the minute you move here (or ten days thereafter). It's not related to your immigration status as 'permanent resident'.

#3: driver's licenses are essential ID here, not just for driving cars. Get one.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

1. They are an arduous experiance in the UK. Joke over here.

2. Immigration Status and Colorado Residence are not the same, you have 90 days from memory, check the Colorado DMV site.

3. Agreed

4. You can certainly ride most of the winter, but there will be many days when you can not or would be best advised not to. Rough guide is that there is a 7-8 month riding season. Most locals will restrict it to 6 months.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice

Yes, you'll need to get a license. Relax, the test is a walk in the park.

Yes, sometimes we get snow. However, sometimes it will be 70degF in January. The only bike I have here is a racebike (roadlegal, but really uncomfortable), so I can't tell you about riding - what I can say is that in January I drove to work in my convertible more days with the roof down, than up.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

lazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nice

Sounds good, I think the misses was being a bit liberal with the truth on the arctic blizzards.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lazarus1891
Sounds good, I think the misses was being a bit liberal with the truth on the arctic blizzards.
I remember flying back in from the East Coast last year, early December.

Artic would be a good comparison.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Be aware that the Denver area is a tourist destination, and a place where many people from snow-free states drive. California transplants, Texas tourists... Overall, baaaaaaad idea to drive a bike there in winter while you're getting used to driving in Colorado yourself.