Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DRIVING ACROSS THE USA AS A FOREIGNER

DRIVING ACROSS THE USA AS A FOREIGNER

Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all
Default Re: DRIVING ACROSS THE USA AS A FOREIGNER

Originally Posted by Big D
Yeah - we used Driveaway a few years ago - great way of doing it and you only pay the gas -plus you can go where the cars take you!
I did this when I was leaving the states after spending a year in FL on a J-1.

A buddy and I picked up a car at Ft. Myers airport and drove that to DC followed by taking a car from DC to Philly. It was a great trip and the schedule allowed plenty of time to get from A to B.

However, some precautions.....

We were only allowed a certain percentage over the "official" distance from A to B. i.e for a 1000 mile journey we were allowed to travel 1200 miles. So this pretty much stopped us from driving all over the place looking for cool stuff to do.

After dropping off the car in DC we had to rely on the owner giving us a lift to the train station so we could get to the dispatch office and pick up our money. From there we had to get another train to the depot where the next car was stored. Some of these offices are not in the nicest places in town.
We had all our belongings with us and it was a major PITA lugging that stuff all over DC.

The second leg of our journey (DC to Philly) was quick. We only had 24 hours to get there, so no sight seeing again. The drop off address was in one of the worst areas of Philly. We were dropping off the car to a cop but he didn't want his neighbours knowing he was a cop Again we had to rely on his charity to get to Philly's train station. The cop couldn't believe that the company sent 2 white kids into the hood in Philly. While I was taking care of the paperwork in the cops house my buddy stayed outside with all our stuff. He later told me that he heard numerous residents' feeling about white people. Scary stuff. And again we had to go clear across Philly to get to the dispatch office to collect our money.

There were no cars going from Philly to NY so we caught the Greyhound which was OK but no National Express

All in all a good trip but a little nerve racking at times.

Roy
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to all

to be 100% honest with u . I would'nt bother coming here till your 21 . In the US you kinda fall into a gap were u hit 18 to old to do all the stuff u did in high school to young to do any of the grown up fun . that is the reason that most drug addicts start between 18 21.

drive across Canada now then come back in a few years

trust me i have lived here my whole life and i can say there is nothing more painful than going to Vegas and not being able to do anything
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

kelzm is just really nicekelzm is just really nicekelzm is just really nicekelzm is just really nicekelzm is just really nicekelzm is just really nicekelzm is just really nicekelzm is just really nice

Not sure if this will help but I recently emailed AIG international about their insurances.

They sent me info on a short stay insurance for 6 months, and with that I can get auto insurance and an umbrella liability product. Seems like a pretty good way to go insurance wise.

Website is www.aig-is.com