Driving....

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving....

Originally Posted by ri_mischief

It looks to me like you then have to make an appointment for a practical - so during this time if you are operating a car under your CA license you will have to be accompanied! You can as you say drive a hire car with your UK license during this time (that's what I did - it was in another state - when I moved to CA I only had to do the theory as I was already licensed) You can't drive a private car though (even your own) as you will find it very difficult to be insured - I think from memory Progressive does do insurance if you don't have a US license but the costs are huge
:
This bit is incorrect - you do NOT have to be accompanied if you have a UK license. You first sit the theory part of the test. You pass, and the DMV gives you a temporary Californian drivers license which is valid for about 3 months - I can't remember the exact validity length.

You sit the practical test ASAP - there was a 3 week wait at anywhere in the San Diego area when my prac test was scheduled.

This information is correct as at October of this year.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

My bad - sorry I was speaking about what I theoretically would have had to have done in the original State I moved to...I just drove a hire car on my UK license

My bad :-(

Where in San Diego are you?

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
This bit is incorrect - you do NOT have to be accompanied if you have a UK license. You first sit the theory part of the test. You pass, and the DMV gives you a temporary Californian drivers license which is valid for about 3 months - I can't remember the exact validity length.

You sit the practical test ASAP - there was a 3 week wait at anywhere in the San Diego area when my prac test was scheduled.

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

My bad - sorry I was speaking about what I theoretically would have had to have done in the original State I moved to...I just drove a hire car on my UK license

My bad :-(

Where in San Diego are you?
That's OK

North County...soon moving a tiny bit south though..... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=escrow

Where are you?
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You can drive your own car, too.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Still can't work out where you're moving to lol - just south with a water view...Ocean Beach or somewhere?

That's OK

North County...soon moving a tiny bit south though..... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=escrow

Where are you?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Still can't work out where you're moving to lol - just south with a water view...Ocean Beach or somewhere?
I've replied via karma
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Would be interesting to know what States do that then....I had never heard of it, well not in California, Oregon or Washington.
The state of KY requires it as well. My OH had been driving for 12+ years before coming here and he was required to hold a learner's permit for 30 days before he was allowed to take the road test. During this time, he drove anyway using his UK license. There are ways to get around it.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Meryl - nothing to do with driving, but before I forget...have you discovered on-line coupons? There seems to be discount coupons for EVERYTHING.

If you're planning on going to a particular shop, google the shop's name and "coupon".

Or if you are considering buying a new small electrical appliance, then google the brand name or model/make with "coupon".

You'll often find coupons for 5-40% off, or $5 - $20 off, or free P&P for on-line orders