Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drivers Licenses in South Carolina

Drivers Licenses in South Carolina

Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Drivers Licenses in South Carolina

Realise this is for Expats but having problems getting an answer to our query so decided to try this! We are UK residents with B1/B2 Visas and a second home in South Carolina. We got our SC drivers licenses and bought a car over 2 years ago but now we've been told at our local DMV office that B1/B2 Visa holders are no longer eligible to hold SC drivers licenses. Our current licenses expire in November this year and we're confused as to whether or not we can keep our car and drive on our UK licences - although the insurance might be prohibitive. International drivers licences have been mentioned but we don't know what good they do as, having searched on the web, it appears they're just a translation of your UK licence! We have also been told that this B1/B2 Visa situation will be happening in other states eventually - does anyone have any information on this? We'd be grateful for any help.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers Licenses in South Carolina

Originally Posted by Coasters
Realise this is for Expats but having problems getting an answer to our query so decided to try this! We are UK residents with B1/B2 Visas and a second home in South Carolina. We got our SC drivers licenses and bought a car over 2 years ago but now we've been told at our local DMV office that B1/B2 Visa holders are no longer eligible to hold SC drivers licenses. Our current licenses expire in November this year and we're confused as to whether or not we can keep our car and drive on our UK licences - although the insurance might be prohibitive. International drivers licences have been mentioned but we don't know what good they do as, having searched on the web, it appears they're just a translation of your UK licence! We have also been told that this B1/B2 Visa situation will be happening in other states eventually - does anyone have any information on this? We'd be grateful for any help.
As you say international are only any good if you licence is in a
foreign language

You just use your uk licence ......stupid ..but its their rules ...
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

we're confused as to whether or not we can keep our car and drive on our UK licences - although the insurance might be prohibitive.
Don't you already have the insurance?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:18 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

There's no such thing as a kosher International Driver's/Driving License/Licence, just an International Driving Permit. The IDP is a translation and certification (not just translation) of your existing license: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...Driving_Permit

The stuff sold by http://www.international-license.com/index.php (which is what popped up in the ad space below) is garbage with less legal status than a chip wrapper.

I don't suppose you can do something like swapping an NC license for an SC license or back again, can you? Alternatively, if the SC law only applies to those who take up permanent residence, then I guess it doesn't apply to you.

Big question: do you have to tell your insurance peeps?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Don't you already have the insurance?
Yes we do have insurance but were led to believe having the SC license helped reduce the premiums.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
There's no such thing as a kosher International Driver's/Driving License/Licence, just an International Driving Permit. The IDP is a translation and certification (not just translation) of your existing license: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...Driving_Permit

The stuff sold by http://www.international-license.com/index.php (which is what popped up in the ad space below) is garbage with less legal status than a chip wrapper.

I don't suppose you can do something like swapping an NC license for an SC license or back again, can you? Alternatively, if the SC law only applies to those who take up permanent residence, then I guess it doesn't apply to you.

Big question: do you have to tell your insurance peeps?
We might have to follow your suggestion! Only thing is that means we're stuck with the same insurer permanently?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we do have insurance but were led to believe having the SC license helped reduce the premiums.
I think lapin_windstar & I were getting at the same thing.. do you have to tell your insurer?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think lapin_windstar & I were getting at the same thing.. do you have to tell your insurer?
Except that the Insurance company will run his licence when they renew checking for any offences ...
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ray
Except that the Insurance company will run his licence when they renew checking for any offences ...
..and I am not sure if they would have much luck in making a claim either

In fact screw it, if you are not going to notify the insurance company that you don't have a license you may as well not bother being insured

Edit: I would just speak to the insurance company about what would happen in the event of having to change the insurance to the UK license. You never know they may recognise the history and it may not be too bad....although I wouldn't hold my breath

Last edited by Longy; Feb 27th 2008 at 10:56 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:45 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP-

Have you read this?
http://www.scdmvonline.com/DLinitial.aspx

It would appear that you fall into the same category as a student (university) and military personnel so you don't need to get a SC driver's license. i.e. you're not full-time resident in the state. So, you can drive on your British driver's licence as long as it's not expired. If this means you'll have to pay higher auto insurance premiums, that's a price you'll have to pay.

However, I don't see anything specific to people visiting from overseas. I suppose you could call the DMV in S. Carolina and ask specifically about your situation. It'd probably be best to speak to supervisor.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:59 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

What happens to people that live in one US state but have a car/house in another? Surely they get the benefit of their driving record in their non-resident state without having an in-state license?

Your best bet might be to sit down with your friendly local insurance agent and talk it though. It shouldn't be a doomsday scenario either way.

Have you, by the way, just tried showing up to a different DMV office in person and asking for a renewal as if nothing had happened? They're often confused or misinformed about regulations so maybe it would work in your favor for once...possibly a little bit edgy with the insurance co (who would be the only ones to really care) if something happened though.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Drivers Licenses in South Carolina

Thanks to all for suggestions. Guess we'll just have to suck it and see!