Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drivers License - Required Documentation Issues

Drivers License - Required Documentation Issues

Old May 29th 2008, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers License - Required Documentation Issues

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
A green card will be several years down the line for the OP. He was transfered by his company here, and I believe you have to have been living here for several years (5?) before he's eligible to apply for a GC. Unless he marries a US citizen, of course.

Sounds like you arrived via a spousal/fiance visa route, which is speedier in obtaining a GC.
Nope we came on L1's and got our GC in just under 18 months.
Old May 29th 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Beaky99
Hi all,

I've recently relocated from the UK to live in Northern Virginia (L1B Visa for those who are interested) and am just getting round to getting my US License (after having to wait for the SSN...) or so I thought...

Off I head to the DMV Passport, UK Licence, SocSecurity Card and Lease Agreement (Proof of residency in hand) only to be told I don't have enough documentation.

James
After checking the requirements list and the VA DMV, it does appear that they have no explicit provision for someone in your situation, ie a first time applicant from overseas who nevertheless has legal presence in the USA. It is pretty pathetic, actually, even for Virginia, given the large proportion of foreign born persons in Northen VA.

Other than what you have already done, I would suggest trying a DMV branch in an area like Arlington which might have more exposure to legal immigrants like yourself.

If all else fails, and depending on where you work, you might consider moving either to Maryland or the District of Columbia. I live in MD and I know they will accept just a passport with I-94 as proof of legal presence (you will need other documentation such as utility bills to prove MD residence). DC is another option although I don't know their exact requirements. Good luck.

PS. you may be able to drive for a while using your UK licence. Many states allow you to do so for up to six months but you would need to check that this is so in VA. As you have already found there will be issues associated with buying a car without a VA license but these can be overcome with perseverance and it is also possible to insure without a US license, albeit at a higher cost.

Last edited by newXgate; May 29th 2008 at 3:25 pm.
Old May 29th 2008, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by newXgate
After checking the requirements list and the VA DMV, it does appear that they have no explicit provision for someone in your situation, ie a first time applicant from overseas who nevertheless has legal presence in the USA. It is pretty pathetic, actually, even for Virginia, given the large proportion of foreign born persons in Northen VA.

Other than what you have already done, I would suggest trying a DMV branch in an area like Arlington which might have more exposure to legal immigrants like yourself.

If all else fails, and depending on where you work, you might consider moving either to Maryland or the District of Columbia. I live in MD and I know they will accept just a passport with I-94 as proof of legal presence (you will need other documentation such as utility bills to prove MD residence). DC is another option although I don't know their exact requirements. Good luck.

PS. you may be able to drive for a while using your UK licence. Many states allow you to do so for up to six months but you would need to check that this is so in VA. As you have already found there will be issues associated with buying a car without a VA license but these can be overcome with perseverance and it is also possible to insure without a US license, albeit at a higher cost.
I doubt its that easy to just up and move, but if it is DC won't even require a driving test if I recall.

It may be worth trying Progressive for insurance, they are more expensive, and it is a different situation but they didn't put a time limit on me getting a US license when I was added to my wifes (then girlfriends) insurance.
Old May 29th 2008, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Longy
I doubt its that easy to just up and move, but if it is DC won't even require a driving test if I recall.
Probably not worth it if the OP has already got long term acommodation, however if they are still in a hotel/short term lease and their work location allows them the choice, it might make sense. From personal experience I know that sorting out the car/drivers licence issues makes other aspects of settling in the US as lot easier. On reflection I am sure that a way can be found for the Virginia DMV to give him a licence, it is just that it might take a while and if you are in a position to pick DC or MD as a place to live, why bother with the extra hassle ?

BTW DC does require a driving test these days if you don't already have an existing US licence.
Old May 29th 2008, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by newXgate
BTW DC does require a driving test these days if you don't already have an existing US licence.
http://dmv.dc.gov/serv/dlicense/get_...n_convert.shtm

"The road test is not required for those who have a valid out-of-country driver’s license"
Old May 29th 2008, 6:02 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaky99
I was told by a guy at CarMax that I couldn't buy a car from them without a US DL as you can't title or register it.

Although now I've read through the full DMV website and it appears the guy had no idea what he was talking about - the only requirements for a title/registration I can see are to have a Virginia address (which I do) and to get insurance (and this can even be waived for a $500 fee).

But now insurance means I still need to definately get it sorted soon, although I should be able to buy a car in the mean time... The two insurance companies I've now spoken to have said they can insure me on my UK DL, but that I need to get a US license within 30 days.

James
we were also told at a ford dealership that we couldnt buy a car without US licence
Old May 29th 2008, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Cool..learned something new.
Old May 29th 2008, 7:29 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but isn't there a difference in the time it takes between L1A and L1B. Yours was an L1A if I recall correctly.
Old May 29th 2008, 8:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Ah, but isn't there a difference in the time it takes between L1A and L1B. Yours was an L1A if I recall correctly.
My husband was the L1A...I was the spouse (can't remember was visa mine was).
Old May 29th 2008, 10:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was the L1A...I was the spouse (can't remember was visa mine was).
spouse is L2, but it's the catagory that's important, L1A gets a jump start on the non-management but skilled transfers that's B...
Old May 31st 2008, 3:42 am
Just Joined

gck303 is just really nicegck303 is just really nicegck303 is just really nicegck303 is just really nicegck303 is just really nicegck303 is just really nicegck303 is just really nicegck303 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mellybrown
we were also told at a ford dealership that we couldnt buy a car without US licence
I have bought a car here in the US with my UK license without a problem. In fact no-one has ever questioned my license. At the DMV when I called them in WI said that you don't even need a US license to own a car, just to drive and insure it.

The guys at Carmax when I visited were very unsure about the process when I asked them. Though eventually said, after speaking with their managers, that it would be fine as long as IO could demonstrate the car was insured.

Carmax incidentally are _really_ expensive. Much better deals can be had elsewhere.

George
Old May 31st 2008, 1:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by gck303
I have bought a car here in the US with my UK license without a problem. In fact no-one has ever questioned my license. At the DMV when I called them in WI said that you don't even need a US license to own a car, just to drive and insure it.

The guys at Carmax when I visited were very unsure about the process when I asked them. Though eventually said, after speaking with their managers, that it would be fine as long as IO could demonstrate the car was insured.

Carmax incidentally are _really_ expensive. Much better deals can be had elsewhere.

George
It all depends which state you're in...some you can...others you can't.